• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ed Morrow transferring

I've been around a ton of basketball (since I was 5 years old) and its probably my favorite sport. I honestly have never heard of this zone you describe. I like that it is deceptive but I don't like the backside block vacating the paint area to guard the backside wing. It would leave you very vulnerable in the post I think.
I think he was joking

I think he was joking

Maybe he was describing variations of the same zone. You can play them plenty of ways just by adjusting the cover. We can see the same 1-3-1 or 2-1-2 adjusted for match up, trapping, interior heavy, perimeter heavy, and realistically, most of the gimmick sets come from the basics with one or two floaters on specific shooters.

I frickin hated zone. I only think it makes sense as a change of pace, for tempo and trapping, or if a team has absolutely horrible outside shooting game and either a great penetration game, or a monster inside.

Maybe he was describing variations of the same zone. You can play them plenty of ways just by adjusting the cover. We can see the same 1-3-1 or 2-1-2 adjusted for match up, trapping, interior heavy, perimeter heavy, and realistically, most of the gimmick sets come from the basics with one or two floaters on specific shooters.

I frickin hated zone. I only think it makes sense as a change of pace, for tempo and trapping, or if a team has absolutely horrible outside shooting game and either a great penetration game, or a monster inside.

you hated playing zone, or you hated playing against it? just curious.

you hated playing zone, or you hated playing against it? just curious.
I hated playing it. It's far harder to play a good zone than it is man to man. It also opens up more opportunities for guys to get lose on the offensive boards, and as a rebounder, nothing ticks you off more than thinking you have a good box out only to see someone snaking in from the wing to get an easy tip or keep the ball alive. Man to man is more accountable and if a guy gets lose, I know who to chew out.

Creighton has 2 starters from Omaha that Nebraska didn't even offer, and routinely beat Nebraska by doible digits. So the local thing is complete BS, especially when the head coach puts an axe to recruiting he biggest city in the state. That's a Miles problem.

Not to mention a player who would have started from SD that was also not offered by NU. Miles' MO was going to be getting somewhat skilled players who fit a system and would stay until senior year to be successful. He seemed to abandon that, whether pressured or self imposed and went to the "top 150" recruit and always challenging "transfer" option.

I've been around a ton of basketball (since I was 5 years old) and its probably my favorite sport. I honestly have never heard of this zone you describe. I like that it is deceptive but I don't like the backside block vacating the paint area to guard the backside wing. It would leave you very vulnerable in the post I think.
Like bils guessed, I was joking. The weakness you point out is super important, also if you keep rotating clockwise, you end up with your guards in the post and your post guys on the perimeter. Also how frequently do you rotate, how do you stay synchronized? It's a disaster

I'm with Lars in not liking zones much in general. Especially the 1-3-1, I've never understood that thing.

Like bils guessed, I was joking. The weakness you point out is super important, also if you keep rotating clockwise, you end up with your guards in the post and your post guys on the perimeter. Also how frequently do you rotate, how do you stay synchronized? It's a disaster

I'm with Lars in not liking zones much in general. Especially the 1-3-1, I've never understood that thing.

If you have a freakish team like Syracuse did a few years ago, with crazy long athletic guys who live to play trapping defense, the 1-3-1 is terrifying to face. All it takes is one time a player doesn't deal with being doubled, and you are seeing a turnover.

If you have a freakish team like Syracuse did a few years ago, with crazy long athletic guys who live to play trapping defense, the 1-3-1 is terrifying to face. All it takes is one time a player doesn't deal with being doubled, and you are seeing a turnover.
I guess if you actually are facing guards who can't handle the trap you could make the 1-3-1 work. But the bottom line for me has always been that the 1-3-1 leaves open exactly the parts of the floor where offensive players love to operate. The baseline, the blocks, and a little to the center from the 45 degree line. It's like if you asked offensive guys to draw circles around where on the court they feel most natural handling the ball, and then guarded everywhere but those places, that's the 1-3-1.

I guess if you actually are facing guards who can't handle the trap you could make the 1-3-1 work. But the bottom line for me has always been that the 1-3-1 leaves open exactly the parts of the floor where offensive players love to operate. The baseline, the blocks, and a little to the center from the 45 degree line. It's like if you asked offensive guys to draw circles around where on the court they feel most natural handling the ball, and then guarded everywhere but those places, that's the 1-3-1.

You have a point if you have elite guards that can handle the size of the kind of guys I described. As we saw with Syracuse a few years ago, even against some of the best players in the country, that zone was incredibly difficult to deal with. I get your point, and if you have a really well coached team, you can break down the zone, but great athletes can make it lethal.

Not to mention a player who would have started from SD that was also not offered by NU. Miles' MO was going to be getting somewhat skilled players who fit a system and would stay until senior year to be successful. He seemed to abandon that, whether pressured or self imposed and went to the "top 150" recruit and always challenging "transfer" option.

Not to defend Miles, but why is Crayton and UNO off the hook for not recruiting Daum yet Miles gets roasted?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back