• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Early Line on Purdue/Nebraska

Using the power ratings that my betting service provides, factoring in home field advantage and coach rating, the line would be Purdue -2. Purdue's performance this weekend will change it some, of course. I must admit that I don't quite understand why they have Purdue's power rating so low, however. Their performance to date this year belies such a low rating.

Using the power ratings that my betting service provides, factoring in home field advantage and coach rating, the line would be Purdue -2. Purdue's performance this weekend will change it some, of course. I must admit that I don't quite understand why they have Purdue's power rating so low, however. Their performance to date this year belies such a low rating.

Makes sense to me with the home field advantage being the difference as of this evening. Good post.

Purdue is ranked 73rd in scoring offense, we are 75th with both scoring roughly 26 points/game.

Where we differ is soon defense where Purdue is 33rd at 20.6 per game and we are 94th at 30.6 per game.

So looks to me like they should be roughly a 10 point favorite, plus 2-4 points for their home field advantage.

Might downgrade this to 6-7 because they don't score a lot.

If the Huskers drop one at Purdue, it might be a good idea for the BBS server to drop a couple of drives. Maybe a nice 48 hour downtime :Chillpill:

I was thinking that we'd be somewhere between +2 and +4.5 when the spread comes out officially. Guess we'll know come late Sunday.

If the Huskers drop one at Purdue, it might be a good idea for the BBS server to drop a couple of drives. Maybe a nice 48 hour downtime :Chillpill:

Nope! Is does no good to punish those who keep their cool. Now, you could continue to give down time to those who continually rant and rave over the top!

I’m gonna ask a really dumb question as I don’t gamble. Why are point spreads sometimes listed as Team A +2 and at other times you look it up you see it as Team B -2?

I’m gonna ask a really dumb question as I don’t gamble. Why are point spreads sometimes listed as Team A +2 and at other times you look it up you see it as Team B -2?
The under dog is +2 or what ever, the favored team is -2 or what ever. + means you are favored to lose, - means you are favored to win. Why these symbols were chosen, that I don't know, and, I'm not going to look it up.

The under dog is +2 or what ever, the favored team is -2 or what ever. + means you are favored to lose, - means you are favored to win. Why these symbols were chosen, that I don't know, and, I'm not going to look it up.

I understand that. I’m just asking why sometimes it’s listed as + and sometimes - if that makes sense. In other words. If NU is a 10 point dog to OU it could read NU +10 vs OU or NU vs OU -10. I didn’t know if there was a significance to that.

Last edited:

I understand that. I’m just asking why sometimes it’s listed as + and sometimes - if that makes sense. In other words. If NU is a 10 point dog to OU it could read NU +10 vs OU or NU vs OU -10. I didn’t know if there was a significance to that.
As I stated, the + symbol means you are the underdog. + 10 says that you should lose by 10 points. The - symbol means you are favored to win by that amount. When you go to make a bet, and you bet on Nebraska, say +5 against Purdue, you can literally win your bet, even if Nebraska loses by 4 points. If it was say, + 4.5 Nebraska, the Huskers would have to lose by 5 or more, or you win the bet. Hope that helps.

As I stated, the + symbol means you are the underdog. + 10 says that you should lose by 10 points. The - symbol means you are favored to win by that amount. When you go to make a bet, and you bet on Nebraska, say +5 against Purdue, you can literally win your bet, even if Nebraska loses by 4 points. If it was say, + 4.5 Nebraska, the Huskers would have to lose by 5 or more, or you win the bet. Hope that helps.

I get that. But why is it sometimes listed as a minus by team A instead of a plus by team B? Is there a significance to that? I get what +/- means. As in my example you could see it listed either way.

Last edited:

I get that. But why is it sometimes listed as a minus by team A instead of a plus by team B? Is there a significance to that? I get what +/- means. As in my example you could see it listed either way.
I don't know how else to say it. If team A has a + it means they are the underdog. It doesn't matter if the team favored is at home or not. + symbol, you're the underdog, - symbol, you're the favored team, home field status means nil.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back