• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

DT - Vainuku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Power of Corn

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Vaha Vainuku, transfered in last year, played in only 4 games, so thus preserved a year, I hope he has not already redshirted. Anyone know ?

Anyway, there is very little talk about this guy, he has a monster body, seemingly perfect for the NG position, does anyone know how he is progressing, ? Any insights here ?

Not any insiders here...but there are a few who'll tell what they've read. I haven't seen a thing mentioned about him since he joined the program.

Read on this site that he was moved from defense to offense then back to defense last year. Don't know the timeline of the moves, any move doesn't speak well to the likelihood that he contributes on the DL next year.

Read on this site that he was moved from defense to offense then back to defense last year. Don't know the timeline of the moves, any move doesn't speak well to the likelihood that he contributes on the DL next year.
Spot on. They moved him to offense (because that's what he played before coming here) then back to defense when that wasn't working out either. His only shot at playing is that he is getting a fresh slate with a new coach. He was a strategic transfer tho that helped in other ways besides on the field.

Spot on. They moved him to offense (because that's what he played before coming here) then back to defense when that wasn't working out either. His only shot at playing is that he is getting a fresh slate with a new coach. He was a strategic transfer tho that helped in other ways besides on the field.

I do remember hearing a bit of a buzz when he signed, solely based on size. Body type aside, sometimes it just doesn't work out. If he pushed people in the weight room and at practice, he helped the team.

I do remember hearing a bit of a buzz when he signed, solely based on size. Body type aside, sometimes it just doesn't work out. If he pushed people in the weight room and at practice, he helped the team.
If he helps recruit Samoan / Pacific Islandrr kids, he is worth it. Warrior ancestors and tough as nails culture while being family / team friendly.

Last edited:

If he helps recruit Samoan / Pacific Islandrr kids, he is worth it. Warrior ancestors and tough as nails culture while being family / team friendly.

Big omission on my part and very true.

Yahtzee. That was his purpose.

This is one of those things that I don't feel I understand very well. I get that it's not unusual for coaches to reach on a player in the hopes of making in roads in a region/school or maybe due to familial ties.

I think what I struggle with is how the player himself views it. Was he (or people in similar scenarios) sold based on his contributions to bring more people like him to Lincoln? Or is that the type of thing he might be seeing the first time he gets on a message board like this?

This is one of those things that I don't feel I understand very well. I get that it's not unusual for coaches to reach on a player in the hopes of making in roads in a region/school or maybe due to familial ties.

I think what I struggle with is how the player himself views it. Was he (or people in similar scenarios) sold based on his contributions to bring more people like him to Lincoln? Or is that the type of thing he might be seeing the first time he gets on a message board like this?
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess it went something along the lines of "We really want to build a somoan presence in our program and we think you have the potential on and off the field to help us do that"

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess it went something along the lines of "We really want to build a somoan presence in our program and we think you have the potential on and off the field to help us do that"
Exactly. Vainuku I am sure was given every opportunity to play.

I have no doubt he was told in addition to being an ambassador for Nebraska football, he was told and given the opportunity to compete for a position. I'm guessing he would feel honored to be asked to be the guy that starts a pipeline to Nebraska football for his community and playing time would be icing on the cake. Don't know the guy, but that's my guess.

I have no doubt he was told in addition to being an ambassador for Nebraska football, he was told and given the opportunity to compete for a position. I'm guessing he would feel honored to be asked to be the guy that starts a pipeline to Nebraska football for his community and playing time would be icing on the cake. Don't know the guy, but that's my guess.
I don’t think him being Polynesian came up much in the recruiting process to him. More that he was going to be given an opportunity to play when other places weren’t affording him that opportunity.

Last edited:
I would like the insiders thoughts on how he may be coping with all of the snow and overall crappy weather. What’s the scoop there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back