• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

DT Vaha Vainuku Is N; Graduate Transfer From Utah (Update: May Play OG or C)

Native

ToungeInCheek since 2010
10 Year Member

I don't know the long or short story. Looks like we have a new Husker. From UofU

Sounds like he signed with Utah in 2012 and then went on his mission. Redshirted in 2015 after an injury and then played in 2016. 3 star DT out of high school.

Last edited:

I don't know the long or short story. Looks like we have a new Husker. From UofU

Thanks! That tweet definitely makes it sound that way. Link:

Vainuku is a graduate transfer from the University of Utah who had stepped away from football before the 2017 season. In a tweet announcing he was coming to Nebraska, the defensive tackle and offensive guard made it clear he was excited to get back to playing football.

Last listed on the Utah roster in 2016 at 6'3" 295lbs. Best bench press on the team.

2016 Utah Football Roster
Choose a Player:
Vainuku_Vaha_UUFTB17.JPG

89 Vaha Vainuku
  • Height
    6-3
  • Weight
  • Class
    Freshman
  • Hometown
    Salt Lake City
  • High School
    East HS

Biography
UTAH: Originally signed with Utah in 2012 before leaving on a church mission … returned to school and the team spring semester of 2015 … 460-pound bench press is best on team.
2016–Played in two games on offense (UCLA, Washington).
2015–Redshirt was sidelined with an injury.

HIGH SCHOOL: Two-time all-state offensive lineman (2010-11) will play defensive tackle at Utah … anchored a line at East High (Utah) that produced four 1,000-yard rushers from 2010-11 ... also lettered in basketball and track and field … 2011 Utah 4A state shot put champion (50-03.25).

PERSONAL: Son of Vaha and Siupeli Vainuku … only child … cousin Sione Pouha played for the Utes and the N.Y. Jets and is now a Utah student-assistant coach … served an LDS church mission in Oakland, Calif. … has not declared a major … full name is Ofalotu Hevaha Vainuku (pronounced vy-ee-new-koo) … born Oct. 21, 1993.

So does that mean he has 2 years of eligibility left?
I wonder which side of the ball they are going to put him since he has played both.

As I understand it he stepped away from football in 2017 and now is looking to get back in at NU.
Anyone know why he stopped? I couldn't find anything.
Bench pressed 460 in 2016, so a strong dude.

As I understand it he stepped away from football in 2017 and now is looking to get back in at NU.
Anyone know why he stopped? I couldn't find anything.
Bench pressed 460 in 2016, so a strong dude.
He was injured and remained on a medical scholarship last year.

Shot put state champ in HS as well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back