• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

DT Darrion Daniels

By 2019 fall camp, we will be 18 months in for this weight program. This program is really good at building muscle, and Frost and his coaches are not letting the kids skip days or get out of them. Again, everyone pulling in the same direction. Go back to when Mark Philipp had our guys, he actually put them thru our circuit workout and was basically told to cut it out by coaches and administration. If for no other reason, our kids being held accountable for a workout program will get us looking that much better. But this program we have is great at sculpting bodies too.

Husker fans will be pleased.

giphy.gif

Would love to get the back story on that crap. That’s BS to not use it.
Well the one thing we know for sure was that bo never used the performance lab. We know this because when riley came in they did testing and a bunch of the players commented on never having been their.

Not saying it isn't true, but "scientifically impossible to put on 30 pounds of muscle between January and fall camp" is a broad statement. What scientific study has proven that? Certainly it would depend on the shape of the person at the start, plus body size, diet, etc.....but impossible? Highly unlikely i wouldn't even blink at, but impossible is such a big word. And in this case, scientifically is even bigger.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...5.69i57j0l5.8072j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This might be better after I saw your second post.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=Lm...iz.......0i71j0i22i30j33i22i29i30.P-Rw7HiJiBk

C

Last edited:

Still waiting to see the link to where our coaches said they'd added 30 lbs of muscle to players. You know, what the marketing campaign was supposed to have said? i don't remember seeing it and the google machine failed to find it for me too. i think those claiming the coaches were marketing this 30 lb weight gain stuff, ought to find it.

So ... what I hear you saying is that we should recruit more people who have never worked out before so that we can get more impressive gains in muscle mass?

:Sarcastic:

I know this is sarcasm, but it's worth noting that there are players who are significantly maxed out and it will be difficult to get a lot more out of them. I'm a bit skeptical of a lot of Texas recruits because they are maxed out so much of the time.

Sometimes the under the radar guys have more up-side, but that's up to our coaches and Duval/Ellis to figure out who has the potential and who doesn't

Sorry, wish you weren't so easily offended. I was simply asking if there was a peer reviewed study that concluded it was impossible. I can certainly see where someone who has been working out regularly isn't going to make those massive strides and i'm not doubting the numbers were inflated.

So, following your advice, i used the "google machine" and typed in "how much muscle mass can be gained in 6 months. The Alan Aragon Model gave an example of a 150 pound beginner gaining up to 2.25 pounds per month, or maybe 27 pounds in a year. So, not 30 and not in the time frame, but also figures which are considered to be within expected averages. Thus, while no doubt extremely rare, it could be possible for someone to gain that amount.....though certainly not an NU football athlete.

So again, no doubt the numbers expressed weren't legit and maybe that is what you were referring to, this specific situation. I didn't get google to pop up a peer reviewed study on the possibility, although the many muscle building articles from magazines, etc indicate it is highly unlikely it can be done.

And i typed this response before i saw your edited post.

I think you also need to take into consideration that it was not even a full year. What are the chances that they gained 30 lbs in muscle in 8 months? That's essentially what the staff was claiming in gains.

Also, I don't think *** was offereded, he just always responds like that. Haha

I think you also need to take into consideration that it was not even a full year. What are the chances that they gained 30 lbs in muscle in 8 months? That's essentially what the staff was claiming in gains.

Also, I don't think *** was offereded, he just always responds like that. Haha
I apologize, sometimes i respond as if I’m on one of my group texts. There’s one I still have saved on my phone of a coach claiming 20 pounds of muscle in 2 months. Stated on a public media platform for everyone to see. Husker fans ate it up. “What were we doing before?!?” The marketing machine won again.

Just shook my head.

Last edited:
I guess I just don't remember any of the coaches claiming that players gained 30 lbs of muscle. They did report that guys gained a lot of weight and looked better...see the article below, which also noted that weight loss from fall camp was expected. I remember a few reports of muscle gain, but don't recall any of 30 lbs that coaches reported...but perhaps they did lie to us about a player, I just don't recall it and couldn't find it using the google machine. Maybe someone can share the link?

Both coaches and players re-iterated that back squats weren't done regularly...I trust that they weren't lying as it was well known that the previous staff preferred the less effective front squat technique. Anyway, it's great to have a true professional in charge rather than a rookie.

--------------------------------------------------------

Lots of "weight" gain reported here...no report of muscle gain:
https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...cle_62056cfa-34f7-526e-9722-0ade260789af.html

Not in this article either:
https://247sports.com/college/nebra...ditioning-gains-in-the-weight-room-116368727/

A player (Peyton Newell) claims 23 lbs of muscle:
https://huskercorner.com/2018/04/09/nebraska-football-strength-conditioning/

No wild claims by the staff here:
http://www.klin.com/2018/03/15/huskers-gain-muscle-wealth-of-knowledge-from-strength-coach-duval/

I think if you check the date just in article, which was 4/9/18, then 23 lbs of muscle in less than 5 months of being in the program is a pretty drastic muscle gain. Is it 30 lbs exactly? No, but if it's impossible for someone to gain 30 lbs of muscle in a year, what's the likelihood they could gain 23 lbs in 5 months?

I think if you check the date just in article, which was 4/9/18, then 23 lbs of muscle in less than 5 months of being in the program is a pretty drastic muscle gain. Is it 30 lbs exactly? No, but if it's impossible for someone to gain 30 lbs of muscle in a year, what's the likelihood they could gain 23 lbs in 5 months?
This is my favorite one from one of the coaches:

Just a quick 20 pounds of muscle in 2 months. I’m fine with the marketing and all that, but again, everyone was on board. We don’t need to lie. But it will be pretty sweet when Stille is a 400 pound ball of muscle at the rate he is gaining.

Last edited:
I apologize, sometimes i respond as if I’m on one of my group texts. There’s one I still have saved on my phone of a coach claiming 20 pounds of muscle in 2 months. Stated on a public media platform for everyone to see. Husker fans ate it up. “What were we doing before?!?” The marketing machine won again.

Just shook my head.

We have another instance of a number needing to be exact (coaches saying 30 lbs this time, as if 23 lbs in less than 5 months isn't good enough) and taken literally. Oh what are the 50 other things again? SMH

No it's not 30 lbs AND it was not the coaching staff but a single player. A player, not the coaches making statements for a marketing campaign. A player than may have confused a 23 lb weight gain with lower fat index percentage as a full 23 lb muscle gain. But more importantly, where is the link that shows our coaching staff...REPEAT our coaching staf telling us of player that had gained 30 lbs of muscle? You know...the lying marketting campaign...

This is my favorite one from one of the coaches:

Just a quick 20 pounds of muscle in 2 months. I’m fine with the marketing and all that, but again, everyone was on board. We don’t need to lie. But it will be pretty sweet when Stille is a 400 pound ball of muscle at the rate he is gaining.
Did Duval say that Stille gained 20 lbs of muscle in 2 months or did you just infer it? I went back through all of Duval's tweets from that time on, and not a single claim of excessive muscle weight added for any player. Some marketing campaign, eh? In fact, the tweet you posted here is no longer there, but evidence of what "happened" with this tweet is there. Duval retweeted Parker Gabriel, who made the claim...it was noted in a journal star article that Gabriel had written that said Stille had gained 20 lbs--not muscle, but 20 lbs. Parker then in his tweet claimed it was muscle, and evidently Duval viewed that as good pub and retweeted it...went along with it. he erred doing so and removed his follow-up tweet but left Gabriel's original tweet. Quite a conspiracy. There was no marketing campaign designed to deceive Husker fans...that's just baloney...get out your tin hats.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back