• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

DT Darrion Daniels

Did Daniels play in the Liberty Bowl for tOSU? I don't recall seeing him, but that was fall semester. But if he announced he was transferring, Gundy might have said adios amigo.

Did Daniels play in the Liberty Bowl for tOSU? I don't recall seeing him, but that was fall semester. But if he announced he was transferring, Gundy might have said adios amigo.
No, he didn't. He had graduated already and was heading this direction. Had he, he wouldn't have had that last year of eligibility because that would have been his fifth game.

He was done after four games with a serious finger injury and then graduated in December before the bowl game Gundy had no say so what so ever. He did announce before the bowl game but had graduated.

Thus a RS year giving him a fifth year/graduate transfer opportunity to play with his brother.

Last edited:
I don't doubt that this is the best training and nutrition program they've seen to date. I also whole heartedly believe they're making great progress. I still don't believe some of the numbers that were reported last year.

Based off of what was shared last season, it's very likely some of the player weights were inflated. I think some also questioned the validity of squat totals due to videos showing guys not going to parallel or below. That might be by design though. There was a study from a couple years ago suggesting that shallower depth on squats was better for improving 40 yard dash times and verticals.

Based off of what was shared last season, it's very likely some of the player weights were inflated. I think some also questioned the validity of squat totals due to videos showing guys not going to parallel or below. That might be by design though. There was a study from a couple years ago suggesting that shallower depth on squats was better for improving 40 yard dash times and verticals.
I read something similar on shallower squat depth when those videos started coming out.

Indeed. Shallow squats for a short period of time can ramp those up in a hurry. Need to not do it as often as we do tho to avoid the massive amount of soft tissue injuries we had last year. Our training caused way too many of our 2018 recruits to season ending injuries.

ROM > Piling lots of weight on with bad form

Last edited:

***, so does Duval know what he is doing or not? You have mentioned soft tissue injuries more than once, will this be an ongoing problem, in your opinion?

One of my daughter's volleyball recruitment advisers instructed that she could boost her vertical by at least an inch by slouching slightly on her standing reach. :Banana:

Good gosh, the distances people will go to cheat.

One of my daughter's volleyball recruitment advisers instructed that she could boost her vertical by at least an inch by slouching slightly on her standing reach. :Banana:

Good gosh, the distances people will go to cheat.
Funny, it used to be common practice to retract your scapula and tighten your lower lats while maintaining a straight elbow to shorten your standing reach which could give you greater results on paper. The people at the NFL combine check that all the time now. It was all about cheating the test

***, so does Duval know what he is doing or not? You have mentioned soft tissue injuries more than once, will this be an ongoing problem, in your opinion?
Yes he does. I just have a really hard time with the marketing they did that pulled the wool over Husker fans eyes. "They didn't squat before", "This guy squatted 750 pounds", "This guy put on 30 pounds of muscle". We literally had videos of us squatting before, but Husker fans ran with that. They were claiming squat maxes of people not doing the squats to depth. And it is scientifically impossible to put on 30 pounds of muscle from January to fall camp. Literally can't happen. Yet all those things were ate up. Also, it is pretty common knowledge that the more iron you push, the better your form should be or you are going to cause some major imbalances and drastically increase your chances for major soft-tissue injuries. We had 8 high school defenders sign with our 2019 class, 5 of them (62% ) had a season ending injury. That is not good for development at all. Throw in guys like Will Honas and Miles Jones that I didn't count, and it looks really bad.

But that was year 1, and I never blame a strength coach year 1. Even tho I think what he was doing had a direct relations, it is what it is. And they are starting to incorporate some functional stuff now, whether that was due to injuries or not, it doesn't matter to me. Long story short, if Nebraska goes without a single soft-tissue injury in year 2 like they did at UCF, it doesn't matter at all. But the stats I gave up top let you know we have a long way to go. Duval isn't dumb, he uses what's at his disposal. When recruits come in, they love that he can sit and say "we test your saliva to see what workout boosts your testosterone the most", they love they put them thru the body mass index screening and are able to project them at their best spot. Previous staffs didn't use these things, for whateve reason. Our team is going to be better physically in 2019 than they were in 2018 and certainly from 2015-2017 for no other reason than the staff is completely on board with him and will let him do what he wants. We sent two kids to the hospital last January and the statement was "the kids were just out of shape, weren't ready, shows you how far we are." Oregon S&C coach sent people to the hospital and got suspended. Everyone is pulling in the same direction now, and our team will look so different in 2019.

Everyone is pulling in the same direction now, and our team will look so different in 2019.

Thanks ***.

Why will we look so different in 2019 if, as you say, there’s only so much muscle you can put on between Jan and August?

Will 2018 to 2019 somehow be a bigger leap forward than 2017 to 2019?

Last edited:
Not saying it isn't true, but "scientifically impossible to put on 30 pounds of muscle between January and fall camp" is a broad statement. What scientific study has proven that? Certainly it would depend on the shape of the person at the start, plus body size, diet, etc.....but impossible? Highly unlikely i wouldn't even blink at, but impossible is such a big word. And in this case, scientifically is even bigger.

Not saying it isn't true, but "scientifically impossible to put on 30 pounds of muscle between January and fall camp" is a broad statement. What scientific study has proven that? Certainly it would depend on the shape of the person at the start, plus body size, diet, etc.....but impossible? Highly unlikely i wouldn't even blink at, but impossible is such a big word. And in this case, scientifically is even bigger.
Not sure if this is a serious response. There's literally a machine called google where you can type in "how much muscle can you gain in a month" that will spit out the answer for you. You can put on that much weight, but not that much muscle.

"Well, I'm here to break it to you easy: It's virtually impossible for somebody who's been training regularly to gain 30-40 pounds of muscle in a couple of months or even a year. The only person with the ability to potentially gain 18-20 pounds of muscle in a year is a gym newbie—someone who's never lifted weights or trained before."

And that’s what every scientific article will tell you, the same as this quote that isn’t scientific. So we are either recruiting people that have never trained for football or lifted before, or it’s not possible. Since I’m of the opinion people like Raridon, Davis twins, etc., have played football and trained before, I have my answer.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back