• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Does It Really Matter?

I think it's fair to say that unless Riley leads the team to a conference title and a playoff appearance, a significant portion of the NU fan base will continue to scream "run the damn ball!' from the rooftops. It's also clear that when running the damn ball isn't working, it's the wrong runs. When the inside run game isn't working, you must attack the edge. When the edge isn't there, it's too "fancy." The OC should then be "running it down their throats."

A "passing offense" is loosely defined as passing when the run game would obviously be more effective. When a pass drops incomplete, it's a bad play call. The OC should have called a run...the right run of course, meaning the one where the OL is very "physical" and the play gains 5 yards or more. Bonus points if the physical O-lineman are from rural Nebraska, short and very mobile. These road-grading diamonds in the rough have disappeared because Nebraska gave up on the running game.

All the best teams are always declared "run-first" with dual threat QBs even when there is evidence to the contrary. Baker Mayfield had 177 yards rushing in 2016 (2.3 yards per carry) and he was dubbed a dual threat by some folks on Huskermax. When it's pointed out that national champion Clemson threw it 40 times per game, the retort is that the only reason Clemson threw it so much is because defenses were so focused on stopping Deshaun Watson from running.

It's not that Watson is one of the most talented college QBs in recent memory. It's that the coaches are genius game planners/callers. Every defense NU faced in 2016 made it their top priority to stop Tommy Armstrong from beating them with his legs. It's unclear why he didn't throw for 4,500 yards and 41 TDs. Bad coaching I guess.

Personally, I blame Harvey Perlman. Had he not called out Bo after the Texas A&M debacle, Bo would have uncovered more local O-line talent and figured out how to stop Mevlin Gordon. It's science.

Last edited:
I think it's fair to say that unless Riley leads the team to a conference title and a playoff appearance, a significant portion of the NU fan base will continue to scream "run the damn ball!' from the rooftops. It's also clear that when running the damn ball isn't working, it's the wrong runs. When the inside run game isn't working, you must attack the edge. When the edge isn't there, it's too "fancy." The OC should then be "running it down their throats."

A "passing offense" is loosely defined as passing when the run game would obviously be more effective. When a pass drops incomplete, it's a bad play call. The OC should have called a run...the right run of course, meaning the one where the OL is very "physical" and the play gains 5 yards or more. Bonus points if the physical O-lineman are from rural Nebraska, short and very mobile. These road-grading diamonds in the rough have disappeared because Nebraska gave up on the running game.

All the best teams are always declared "run-first" with dual threat QBs even when there is evidence to the contrary. Baker Mayfield had 177 yards rushing in 2016 (2.3 yards per carry) and he was dubbed a dual threat by some folks on Huskermax. When it's pointed out that national champion Clemson threw it 40 times per game, the retort is that the only reason Clemson threw it so much is because defenses are so focused on stopping Deshaun Watson from running.

It's not that Watson is one of the most talented college QBs in recent memory. It's that the coaches are genius game planners/callers. Every defense NU faced in 2016 made it their top priority to stop Tommy Armstrong from beating them with his legs. It's unclear why he didn't throw for 4,500 yards and 41 TDs. Bad coaching I guess.

Personally, I blame Harvey Perlman. Had he not called out Bo after the Texas A&M debacle, Bo would have uncovered more local O-line talent and figured out how to stop Mevlin Gordon. It's science.
True to your name this is some for real "Dude" logic. :Salute::thumbsup:

All the best teams are always declared "run-first" with dual threat QBs even when there is evidence to the contrary. Baker Mayfield had 177 yards rushing in 2016 (2.3 yards per carry) and he was dubbed a dual threat by some folks on Huskermax. When it's pointed out that national champion Clemson threw it 40 times per game, the retort is that the only reason Clemson threw it so much is because defenses are so focused on stopping Deshaun Watson from running.

Agree! You nailed it.I get so tired of hearing these things over and over all year long about play calling. Should of run the ball. Or after an incompletion, they should of never called a pass play in that situation even though there was a receiver wide open. But I always hear this after the play is over, not before the play was called.GBR!!!

Bolded...Doing that. At least they will be running downhill unless it's a flat roof

1nGLitH.gif

All I know is that the longer your defense is on the field, the more depleted it becomes. The more likely it will miss plays/tackles. A ball control offense, whether running or passing, eats clock and wears down defenses.

I have no problem with trying to score by passing. Unless you are the Seattle Seahawks at the one yard line with the game on the line.

All I know is that the longer your defense is on the field, the more depleted it becomes. The more likely it will miss plays/tackles. A ball control offense, whether running or passing, eats clock and wears down defenses.

That's basically what I'm saying. If you have a great defense and a decent offense that isn't off the field in 2-3 minutes on every drive then it doesn't matter if you run or pass a majority of the time.

That's basically what I'm saying. If you have a great defense and a decent offense that isn't off the field in 2-3 minutes on every drive then it doesn't matter if you run or pass a majority of the time.
Well, yes, however you definitely have to be able to run the football late in a game when you want to keep control of the football.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back