• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Does It Really Matter?

Suhperman

Resident Genius
5 Year Member
Which offense a team runs if they have a great defense? Other than a quick strike offense like Oregon and Baylor teams of the past that only have 2 or 3 minute drives and barely give the defense time to rest, I don't think it matters which offense you run unless, of course, it's just totally ineffective. If that's the case your team will probably stink anyway.

I love the changes being made on defense in terms of scheme and coaching. If Diaco can resurrect the Blackshirts, and if the offense morphs into a hybrid of the Patriots, Peyton Manning led Colts, and the Young/Montana 49ers, big things will happen again Lincoln...even with a "pass happy" offense.

It definitely matters. A great defense must be complimented by at least a decent-good offense. Defenses can become great IMO if: 1) they have great talent (obvious) and 2) they are protecting leads generated by a ball-control balanced offense. Constantly being tasked with getting the ball back for a ineffective offense keeps the defense on the field for too many minutes during a game physically and erodes the passion and enthusiasm of the defense mentally.

Which offense a team runs if they have a great defense? Other than a quick strike offense like Oregon and Baylor teams of the past that only have 2 or 3 minute drives and barely give the defense time to rest, I don't think it matters which offense you run unless, of course, it's just totally ineffective. If that's the case your team will probably stink anyway.

I love the changes being made on defense in terms of scheme and coaching. If Diaco can resurrect the Blackshirts, and if the offense morphs into a hybrid of the Patriots, Peyton Manning led Colts, and the Young/Montana 49ers, big things will happen again Lincoln...even with a "pass happy" offense.
No doubt a “pass happy” offense can be effective but let’s not forget the one variable that can render it ineffective, and that is the weather. We have had very good luck with the weather the past couple of years, except for the Purdue game the year before last, but we all know we can’t count on that lasting forever.

I think it matters to a certain extent. Remember, a defense is only as good as the offense it practices against. Talent is also nice, but if the defense practices at a regular against a good offense, that's going to reflect on Game Day. A really good team has balance on both sides of the ball. Offense wins games, but Defense wins championships. I agree with half of that statement in that it takes both to do either.

I think it matters to a certain extent. Remember, a defense is only as good as the offense it practices against. Talent is also nice, but if the defense practices at a regular against a good offense, that's going to reflect on Game Day. A really good team has balance on both sides of the ball. Offense wins games, but Defense wins championships. I agree with half of that statement in that it takes both to do either.

It hasn't helped Oregon or Baylor much. However, I agree it's best to have balance on both sides of the ball, but history has shown that's the exception and not the norm. Given the choice, I'll take a great defense with a serviceable offense any day of the week. I like the direction the Huskers are going and feel that they'll come close to having both a good offense and defense in the future.

Such a waste of a championship-caliber defense. Even with the offense we have now, if we had that same defense today we'd be legitimate contenders.

Ain't that the truth. Zac Lee was so bad it was painful to watch. You have to have a QB. Which of course is why either Tanner Lee or POB (or both) have to be good or the MR experiment is going to end sooner rather than later.

I agree with Suhp here. The premise is that as long as the offense is consistently EFFECTIVE and the defense is great, it doesn't matter much what the offensive scheme is. Of course the key phrase here is consistently effective offense. Things like ball control, turnovers, weather, and the speed at which you score are all moot points if the offense is consistently effective because then those things aren't negatives and you are continuing to put up points. If you put up points on nearly every drive, then who cares how you do it - you will still outpace the other team. Doesn't matter if you are the Oregon/Baylor lighting strike offense, TO's ball control ground game, or TT's air raid, it doesn't matter. Of course, getting any offense to be consistently effective is the challenge.

Such a waste of a championship-caliber defense. Even with the offense we have now, if we had that same defense today we'd be legitimate contenders.
The 2016 offense and the 2009 offense were pretty similar in points scored per game. Kind of a wash.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back