• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Does Anybody Remember 1962?

I was twelve at the time and had been a die-hard fan since I was 8. I got to go to a couple of games during Jennings tenure because my dad's boss had "box seats" on the 40 yard line on the west side. When Devaney was hired, there was a little excitement because he had ties to legendary coach Duffy Daugherty at MSU. Other than that it wasn't too big of a deal, since he was coming from Wyoming, which wasn't a traditional powerhouse. It didn't take more than a few games into that season to see that things were really going to be different. The team played with much more enthusiasm and the fans got behind them immediately.

I pose this question to those of you who were old enough (and willing to admit it) to consciously remember not only the '62 season, but also the general mood going into the season.

How do the following compare, now to then:

- the expectations of the fan base?
- the national / media perception of the program?
- other similarities?

Obviously the media coverage in '62 was nothing like today; no social media, fan websites, etc. But one comment by HCSF at media days epitomizes the question for me. He was speaking about when recruits visit NU, and "most of the kids don't remember the real Nebraska, but their parents do."

Many people nationally (who remember the 90's) seem to think that NU was nothing before Devaney-- but we didn't get to be #3 in all-time wins (as we were before the SP / Perlman Perversion) just through BD's and TO'S wins.

I imagine folks in 1962 who remembered Biff Jones, Ed Weir, the '41 Rose Bowl team, etc. who knew we could RETURN to greatness with the right coach / approach / resources.
In 62 I was two years old, Mom and I were debating on if I should still be breast feeding or not.

I was at the NU-KU game in Lawrence where Bill Jennings was a coach and Gayle Sayers was a sophomore. Devaney brought the Huskers in the week after losing to Mizzou. We got the ball and drove about 65 yards straight down the field, all running plays between the tackles, and scored in 8 plays. Then we lined up and ran in a 2 point conversion right up the middle. Pure dominating ,smash-mouth exhibition. When we got the ball again, we did the same thing again, and again three more times until we had 40. Sayers didn't do anything until the second half when the game was well out of reach. He never did play in a winning game against Nebraska. To me, that game set the tenor for Husker football under Bob Devaney.

Well I was not born till August of 63 so my first memories of games is like the game of the century. (The only game given such a title that actually lived up to the hype)

There was real Nebraska talent on that team. Kent McCloughn-Broken Bow, Jim Huge - Holdrege, Bobbie Hahn-Beatrice, Duncan Drum - Fremont, Monty Kiffin & Mick Tinglehoff- Lexington. Others on that team were Lloyd Voss and Doug Tucker.

In same status as @Huskerthom ... first recollections of Nebraska Football was first the bowl win over LSU for a national title and then the Game of the Century. I distinctly remember that Sugar Bowl win as we had family down for the holiday from our family farm that straddled SD / NE state line. They still didn't have a TV at that time and watching a ball game was a big deal for my cousins.

Technically, zygote TnHusker87 might have been somewhere in the universe for the '62 Gotham Bowl. ;)

There was real Nebraska talent on that team. Kent McCloughn-Broken Bow, Jim Huge - Holdrege, Bobbie Hahn-Beatrice, Duncan Drum - Fremont, Monty Kiffin & Mick Tinglehoff- Lexington. Others on that team were Lloyd Voss and Doug Tucker.
I played golf with Bob Hohn a couple times. Great guy. We lost him way too soon.

ON the Gayle Sayers thing, while they never beat us when he was there, I recall they once came close and would have gone ahead with little time left beat us but for a lucky break. Sayers got free on a sideline and up route and the ball was perfectly thrown to him behind our defender. But as he tried to bring it in, his own knee knocked the ball out of his hand. End of the threat.

Now maybe I misremember, but I recall that in my fading memory fairly clearly.

In same status as @Huskerthom ... first recollections of Nebraska Football was first the bowl win over LSU for a national title and then the Game of the Century. I distinctly remember that Sugar Bowl win as we had family down for the holiday from our family farm that straddled SD / NE state line. They still didn't have a TV at that time and watching a ball game was a big deal for my cousins.

Technically, zygote TnHusker87 might have been somewhere in the universe for the '62 Gotham Bowl. ;)
I was born in '64 so have similar memories. I think my first lasting memory was Tagge reaching over the goal line in that Sugar Bowl. Then the whole Game of the Century.

For years after that, I expected that EVERY punt or kick was going to be returned for a TD. On the playground we all wanted to be Johnny Rodgers.

I was 6, but I do remember Denny Claridge QB, and recall names like Faiman, Kent McCloughan, Bill Thornton, etc. I recall listening on the radio, then after the game going out in the yard and being Claridge throwing TD passes. I think Monte Kiffin may have been on that team too. Thanks for the memories!
I was a junior in HS - played as a freshman (Lexington) vs Kent McCloughan (Broken Bow).

Last edited:

For years after that, I expected that EVERY punt or kick was going to be returned for a TD. On the playground we all wanted to be Johnny Rodgers.
Oh yeah! Backyard games, playground, where ever. Everybody wanted to be JR and catch TD passes and return punts! The first game I ever attended in person was the '72 KSU game when Johnny set the NCAA record for punt returns for TD. Then, I got to sit by him at the spring game this year. I asked him if he remembered that game. He said no. I told him it was my first live game and also the game where he set the NCAA record. He said, "Thanks for the history lesson!"

East, that was in the 1964 game,which we won 14-7. Churchich hit Freeman White with a 94 yd. TD strike to win it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back