• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Does Anybody Remember 1962?

Elwood von Kiowa

Major Fongbomb
10 Year Member
I pose this question to those of you who were old enough (and willing to admit it) to consciously remember not only the '62 season, but also the general mood going into the season.

How do the following compare, now to then:

- the expectations of the fan base?
- the national / media perception of the program?
- other similarities?

Obviously the media coverage in '62 was nothing like today; no social media, fan websites, etc. But one comment by HCSF at media days epitomizes the question for me. He was speaking about when recruits visit NU, and "most of the kids don't remember the real Nebraska, but their parents do."

Many people nationally (who remember the 90's) seem to think that NU was nothing before Devaney-- but we didn't get to be #3 in all-time wins (as we were before the SP / Perlman Perversion) just through BD's and TO'S wins.

I imagine folks in 1962 who remembered Biff Jones, Ed Weir, the '41 Rose Bowl team, etc. who knew we could RETURN to greatness with the right coach / approach / resources.

I was 9 years old but remember the excitement of the first game. We were on a trip from Kearney visiting Boys Town and had our little radios to listen to the game. Boy we really smoked South Dakota and the optimism for the rest of the season was very high. Wasn't much national media attention until we beat Michigan in the big house.

I was three in 1962... my only memories of that year was a freight train going by our family's apartment and the engineer waiving at me, mosquito bites and visiting our new under construction home that we moved into that year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back