• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Do you trust the development with this staff? We are going to find out!

It will be interesting to watch going forward whether NU picks its QB 2-3 years ahead. Perhaps the staff thought AM was going to be really special and they better get the next couple guys committed and bought in before everyone figured that out?? If the 2021 QB isn't chosen before the 2020 season, maybe they are holding out for more of an elite player because AM isn't as likely to make that recruiting so difficult? And perhaps it won't be any different.

Yeah, it’s hard to know with so many moving parts. One thing that’s certain is that future guys at QB Will have to be athletically gifted, confident, and unafraid of competition. It seems to me that Martinez, McCaffrey, and Smothers could all be guys who could drive away recruits who don’t meet all three of those criteria. As I see I, there are no guarantees that a committed recruit will stay “bought in” until he signs on the line (some might even say ‘arrives on campus.’) It’s going to be very interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Do we take one qb recruit every year (barring injuries and transfers-out)? Presuming Smothers hangs in, I guess our next recruit would be 2021...of course putting up some crazy offensive numbers over the next couple years will help...

Last edited:
I trust this staff in development for the most part...though was most disappointed in receiver development, since most of our yds. were Morgan and Speilman, not Frost guys, and the "studs" they brought in didnt provide much at all. Am a bit worried about all the projects on both lines, wont really know if they will pan out for 2-3 years most likely. But some evidence will be available next year with OL and DL guys that havent really been in games before. Hope it all works out because...well... it has to.

I trust this staff in development for the most part...though was most disappointed in receiver development, since most of our yds. were Morgan and Speilman, not Frost guys, and the "studs" they brought in didnt provide much at all. Am a bit worried about all the projects on both lines, wont really know if they will pan out for 2-3 years most likely. But some evidence will be available next year with OL and DL guys that havent really been in games before. Hope it all works out because...well... it has to.

Which part concerned you?
I'm not concerned about the "gains" at all as they get blown out of proportion every year. It went to another level last year when people were adding up the roster weights, but whatever.

What concerns me is the amount of injuries listed to our guys that we are "getting healthier" from. They didn't even list guys like Miles Jones and Will Honas who also had season ending joint issues. We had one of the worst season-ending soft-tissue injury seasons I can remember. You can't go two years in a row on that same path. Hoping some of the changes the made in the weight room will pay dividends.

I'm not concerned about the "gains" at all as they get blown out of proportion every year. It went to another level last year when people were adding up the roster weights, but whatever.

What concerns me is the amount of injuries listed to our guys that we are "getting healthier" from. They didn't even list guys like Miles Jones and Will Honas who also had season ending joint issues. We had one of the worst season-ending soft-tissue injury seasons I can remember. You can't go two years in a row on that same path. Hoping some of the changes the made in the weight room will pay dividends.

If you can share, what changes have they made in the weight room?

The only thing you've been criticized for is your silly assertion that the staff can't recruit both skill players and linemen simultaneously. Literally no one is arguing with you that recruiting skilled linemen is essential, but you act like every staff at NU is only recruiting skill players and then you crap in threads where people are discussing non-line recruits. We go through this at least once a recruiting cycle with you.
If it has not been apparent to you for the past 10 years or more, you are beyond help. Truth is, what the truth is. What you see on Saturdays is what you get. My assertion is that past staff seemed to focus on "skill positions" rather than Linemen. Sorry you missed the point.

If it has not been apparent to you for the past 10 years or more, you are beyond help. Truth is, what the truth is. What you see on Saturdays is what you get. My assertion is that past staff seemed to focus on "skill positions" rather than Linemen. Sorry you missed the point.

You never made a point. That's the point. You have this mythical argument in your head and then out comes the yearly plea for victimhood. Let me make this simple for you: No One Is Saying We Don't Need Better Linemen/Line Play. Obviously we do. You've argued repeatedly, and for several years now, that the staff cannot recruit other position groups simultaneously and then you get mad when people here celebrate a WR or RB committing to NU.

You never made a point. That's the point. You have this mythical argument in your head and then out comes the yearly plea for victimhood. Let me make this simple for you: No One Is Saying We Don't Need Better Linemen/Line Play. Obviously we do. You've argued repeatedly, and for several years now, that the staff cannot recruit other position groups simultaneously and then you get mad when people here celebrate a WR or RB committing to NU.
You could not be more ill informed and ignorant of my position. My contention then, and still is, that there was way too much emphasis on recruiting skill players vs recruiting lineman. It is that simple. That is my point. You seemed to have missed it. If you disagree with my observation, that is ok with me. I have been around the game long enough to make clear and accurate judgements based on what I see on the field. This will end my conversation with you, permanently.

You could not be more ill informed and ignorant of my position. My contention then, and still is, that there was way too much emphasis on recruiting skill players vs recruiting lineman. It is that simple. That is my point. You seemed to have missed it. If you disagree with my observation, that is ok with me. I have been around the game long enough to make clear and accurate judgements based on what I see on the field. This will end my conversation with you, permanently.

You've been around the game long enough to know it is quite possible, nay probable, for a coaching staff to recruit multiple position groups and yet here we are. I'm sure we will revisit this conversation again next recruiting cycle when a 4 star WR commits and you get mad about it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back