• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Do you trust the development with this staff? We are going to find out!

I was doing my write-up for the signing class and caught something pretty glaring while doing my research. I looked back at the past 10 classes signed by Nebraska and who their OL recruits are and their average 247 composite rating for the class. Anything jump out at you?

2014 - .8955 (3)
2016 - .8948 (4)
2011 - .8883 (5)
2015 - .8826 (3)
2010 - .8803 (4)
2012 - .8753 (2)
2019 - .8709 (4)
2017 - .8594 (4)
2018 - .8581 (1)
2013 - .8513 (5)

I was floored to only see one class in the last decade be worse than our 2017, 2018, and 2019 offensive line class. Want further proof that Frost believes in Duval and their S&C department as well as their coaches ability to develop? Look no further than this 2019 class, where if it wasn't for Benhart, it would be ranked dead last in terms of OL talent according to 247 sports composite compared to the other 9 classes the past decade (with him it's still in the bottom 50%). Frost and his staff went after length and trust that if they get athletic frames into the Husker Power program, they can build a powerhouse. With Frost and the offense coupled with our strong walk-on program and the S&C program, this could get real fun to track.

Now, the glass is half full that ruins this entire thread is if Bland signs, the 2019 class jumps way up. Also, From the 2nd best class the last decade in 2016 you still have Raridon, Farniok and Wilson here, 2 of which are starters. The 2014 class is about as good as it gets, with Farmer, Gates, and Foster being a part of it (not sure why I put that, just thought it was interesting).

I can't wait to see what we turn these guys into. Feel free to point to this case study if we start having a dominant OL in the next couple years and what we may be able to do in spots like RB, QB, ILB, where we are getting guys with even higher floors like Wandale Robinson, Jackson Hannah, and Nick Henrich.

*note - guys like Cam Jurgens (who moved to OL from another position) or Willie Canty (who didn't make it) were not counted

Emphasis on the ‘couple years’ to really get things rolling between Recruiting,S&C, & Development.

Edit: to get to the Pipeline that we covet.

Last edited:

Emphasis on the ‘couple years’ to really get things rolling between Recruiting,S&C, & Development.
I think between the 2016 class with Matt Farniok and Boe Wilson starting, and Raridon pushing for time, we have some pieces. It's just real interesting to me that when I did my early signing recruiting grades, I had Austin at a C because Bland wasn't able to sign at this link:
https://forum.huskermax.com/index.p...g-and-early-signing-day-talk-with-***.108661/

After looking at it on paper, that seems about right considering this class is still in the bottom 50% of OL classes the past decade. All of that said, it's weird i'm actually encouraged with who we signed rather than discouraged. The problem is, it's all projection. It's not like you pulled in the 2014 class where every OL recruit was highly ranked and ended up starting multiple games for us.

It's going to be real fun to watch.

Any question asked about my belief in this staff I think I have to answer yes to. Objectively I think this is a staff that has proven themselves, but as a Husker fan this seems like the last chance to regain relevancy and get back into the national discussion, but if this staff can't do it, it seems like we become a more passionate Minnesota. Maybe I'm placing too much pressure/importance on the Frost era, but if you see it as the last hand before busting out and needing to win big, then your only choice is to answer yes to any question asked about the ability of this staff, or your faith in them.. because this has to work.

Any question asked about my belief in this staff I think I have to answer yes to. Objectively I think this is a staff that has proven themselves, but as a Husker fan this seems like the last chance to regain relevancy and get back into the national discussion, but if this staff can't do it, it seems like we become a more passionate Minnesota. Maybe I'm placing too much pressure/importance on the Frost era, but if you see it as the last hand before busting out and needing to win big, then your only choice is to answer yes to any question asked about the ability of this staff, or your faith in them.. because this has to work.

This is so true it hurts. That is why my patience level is going to be sky high for many years. It was with TO, too. Even during the late 80's and early 90's I could not have imagined anyone else coaching our team and I feel the same way about SF now.

If he fails we are certainly done for on any national level for who knows how many lifetimes.

Nebraska has never seen the offense that Frost is bringing to the table.Big Ten, The BigXII, or the Big 8 offenses were NEVER as explosive as this one. It’s a whole new ball game. Difficult to compare his offensive line to any in Husker history.

I was doing my write-up for the signing class and caught something pretty glaring while doing my research. I looked back at the past 10 classes signed by Nebraska and who their OL recruits are and their average 247 composite rating for the class. Anything jump out at you?

2014 - .8955 (3)
2016 - .8948 (4)
2011 - .8883 (5)
2015 - .8826 (3)
2010 - .8803 (4)
2012 - .8753 (2)
2019 - .8709 (4)
2017 - .8594 (4)
2018 - .8581 (1)
2013 - .8513 (5)

I was floored to only see one class in the last decade be worse than our 2017, 2018, and 2019 offensive line class. Want further proof that Frost believes in Duval and their S&C department as well as their coaches ability to develop? Look no further than this 2019 class, where if it wasn't for Benhart, it would be ranked dead last in terms of OL talent according to 247 sports composite compared to the other 9 classes the past decade (with him it's still in the bottom 50%). Frost and his staff went after length and trust that if they get athletic frames into the Husker Power program, they can build a powerhouse. With Frost and the offense coupled with our strong walk-on program and the S&C program, this could get real fun to track.

Now, the glass is half full that ruins this entire thread is if Bland signs, the 2019 class jumps way up. Also, From the 2nd best class the last decade in 2016 you still have Raridon, Farniok and Wilson here, 2 of which are starters. The 2014 class is about as good as it gets, with Farmer, Gates, and Foster being a part of it (not sure why I put that, just thought it was interesting).

I can't wait to see what we turn these guys into. Feel free to point to this case study if we start having a dominant OL in the next couple years and what we may be able to do in spots like RB, QB, ILB, where we are getting guys with even higher floors like Wandale Robinson, Jackson Hannah, and Nick Henrich.

*note - guys like Cam Jurgens (who moved to OL from another position) or Willie Canty (who didn't make it) were not counted
I have said before and still believe that OL is one position that can be developed over time. The pipeline was built as much on walk ons as it was on Scholarship players. The key is getting guys that you think you can build into what you want. Scott has decided he wants tall agile OL. So that is what he went after. He worried less about stars here and more about a certain look and attitude. It may be a year or so but it will come. I am confident.

@ShortSideOption, do you happen to have similar rankings for teams like Wisconsin or Iowa? Those two schools have combined to have 20 (10 each) offensive linemen drafted since 2008. Nebraska has had 7 drafted during that same period, but I suspect that our OL recruiting classes have been better.

I think the key is going to be patience. If we expect true freshmen to compete for starting OL positions, we're probably going to be disappointed. But if we're willing to give guys a couple years to develop, we'll probably see some pretty good things.

2014 - .8955 (3)
2016 - .8948 (4)
2011 - .8883 (5)
2015 - .8826 (3)
2010 - .8803 (4)
2012 - .8753 (2)
2019 - .8709 (4)
2017 - .8594 (4)
2018 - .8581 (1)
2013 - .8513 (5)

I realize it's the offseason and no topic is offlimits - at least yours is about football and not some of the other goofy stuff we see and I do give you credit for that...but, you are averaging subjective ratings and attempting to make objective comparisons. The end result is GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). Einstein once said "not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

If anything, I agree with the premise that you may be working up to - Scott and company may do a better job developing players (and coaching, and gameplanning, and playcalling) than other recent staffs. We'll see. Early indications are that they will - and I'm definitely with you on that. We just got to that conclusion different ways - I got there by the eyeball method and spiked koolaid - you got there through complex manipulation of statistical chopped salad. It's all good.

:Huskerflag:

Last edited:
@ShortSideOption, do you happen to have similar rankings for teams like Wisconsin or Iowa? Those two schools have combined to have 20 (10 each) offensive linemen drafted since 2008. Nebraska has had 7 drafted during that same period, but I suspect that our OL recruiting classes have been better.

I think the key is going to be patience. If we expect true freshmen to compete for starting OL positions, we're probably going to be disappointed. But if we're willing to give guys a couple years to develop, we'll probably see some pretty good things.
All I know is with Wisconsin I used to look up their recruiting rankings for their OL (which were putrid) and show them dominating us (I believe it was to show recruiting rankings aren't the end all). To your point, them and Iowa were taking guys that came there as QBs and turning them into OTs (real life example) and dominating people. With how Frost and company like to pull everyone along the line, i'm thinking this uptick in athleticism may pay dividends down the road even tho these guys weren't off the charts in high school.

That's my hopeful thinking anyway.

All I know is with Wisconsin I used to look up their recruiting rankings for their OL (which were putrid) and show them dominating us (I believe it was to show recruiting rankings aren't the end all). To your point, them and Iowa were taking guys that came there as QBs and turning them into OTs (real life example) and dominating people. With how Frost and company like to pull everyone along the line, i'm thinking this uptick in athleticism may pay dividends down the road even tho these guys weren't off the charts in high school.

That's my hopeful thinking anyway.

Hasn't Wisconsin actually improved their star ranking for OL over time? (I know they signed a legit 5 star this year). So while they used to do it the old fashioned way of S&C and coaching, they might actually be starting off in a better place now with legit talent walking through the door.

That's what having a solid reputation along the lines of – all of our good OL players get drafted – will do for you.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back