• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

DJ Durkin to Bama

As a consultant. Slick Nick continues fostering his brotherhood of snakes.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...kin-helping-behind-the-scenes-at-alabama.html

Why does this bother people? As Nebraska fans were we upset when the Dolphins and then the 49ers gave Lawrence Phillips a 2nd and then a 3rd chance to straighten out his life in the NFL?

Saban is in a unique position in the coaching world in that he can pretty much hire almost anybody and do whatever he wants with his staff, so why does he keep hiring all of these coaches with a history of personal issues? From Lane Kiffin's immaturity to Sarkisian's alcoholism to Hugh Freeze's sleaziness to numerous others who flew under the radar, and now to Durkin; why?

Saban is giving these guys a second chance, the opportunity to get back into coaching again. Do you REALLY think that he got more out of those guys than what they got from him in being given those opportunities? Have you noticed how loyal his assistants are to him, even after they leave?

Nick Saban takes coaches with all sorts of well-known public flaws, and he rehabilitates them, and they go on to have coaching success afterwards.I love that he does this. I don't understand why this would be criticized. It's not like he's bringing in guys who are dragging down his program. He's giving guys second chances, and they seem to be making good use of it. God bless him, and more power to him.

Why does this bother people? As Nebraska fans were we upset when the Dolphins and then the 49ers gave Lawrence Phillips a 2nd and then a 3rd chance to straighten out his life in the NFL?

Saban is in a unique position in the coaching world in that he can pretty much hire almost anybody and do whatever he wants with his staff, so why does he keep hiring all of these coaches with a history of personal issues? From Lane Kiffin's immaturity to Sarkisian's alcoholism to Hugh Freeze's sleaziness to numerous others who flew under the radar, and now to Durkin; why?

Saban is giving these guys a second chance, the opportunity to get back into coaching again. Do you REALLY think that he got more out of those guys than what they got from him in being given those opportunities? Have you noticed how loyal his assistants are to him, even after they leave?

Nick Saban takes coaches with all sorts of well-known public flaws, and he rehabilitates them, and they go on to have coaching success afterwards.I love that he does this. I don't understand why this would be criticized. It's not like he's bringing in guys who are dragging down his program. He's giving guys second chances, and they seem to be making good use of it. God bless him, and more power to him.

There's a part of me that wants to brand Saban as a sleaze bag because I don't like Alabama and I'm tired of them winning but I believe you are right. He didn't/doesn't need Kiffin or Sark or Durkin. But those guys needed/need him and his willingness to do what he can to put them on a better track is admirable (even if I threw up a little in my mouth saying that:)). We'd see it in a very different light if he were at Nebraska.

There's a part of me that wants to brand Saban as a sleaze bag because I don't like Alabama and I'm tired of them winning but I believe you are right. He didn't/doesn't need Kiffin or Sark or Durkin. But those guys needed/need him and his willingness to do what he can to put them on a better track is admirable (even if I threw up a little in my mouth saying that:)). We'd see it in a very different light if he were at Nebraska.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate that response. As I was typing I was hoping that I wasn't starting some sort of argument, but I sincerely wanted to know if I was missing something. It's nice to have conversations that don't devolve into name calling.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate that response. As I was typing I was hoping that I wasn't starting some sort of argument, but I sincerely wanted to know if I was missing something. It's nice to have conversations that don't devolve into name calling.

Thanks Coach. I appreciate you calling it how you see it. It's easy to assume the character of others is deficient but, even if there's evidence in that direction, it's rarely the whole story and the reality is always much more complex than the caricatures that are used to portray people. I am unlikely to ever be a member of the Nick Saban fan club but he does have admirable qualities. It is obvious that he does care about his players and will go out of his way to come along side players he knows are at greatest risk and he extends opportunity to people that need it. Frankly, nothing would be easier than for him to to stay a million miles away from guys like Durkin. He knows he'll take heat and he does it anyway.

Now, I still hope Oklahoma beats them in the CFP, but that's just about football.

Last edited:

Your kidiing here, right? Why does this bother me? Someone's son died as a result of his extreme negligence. Other kids suffered severe emotional distress while participating in his program. Some folks just don't deserve a second chance messing with the lives of young men. DJ Durkin is one of them.
Yes, you're missing something.

Last edited:
Your kidiing here, right? Why does this bother me? Someone's son died as a result of his extreme negligence. Other kids suffered severe emotional distress while participating in his program. Some folks just don't deserve a second chance messing with the lives of young men. DJ Durkin is one of them.
Yes, you're missing something.

Grandstand much?

You could make that argument for the athletic trainer who didn't follow protocols, didn't take the threat seriously, but Durkin wasn't there. It's amazing how you can be so certain that he shouldn't get a second chance when the committee that investigated him thought that he should keep his job. I guess you would know more though.

Grandstand much?

You could make that argument for the athletic trainer who didn't follow protocols, didn't take the threat seriously, but Durkin wasn't there. It's amazing how you can be so certain that he shouldn't get a second chance when the committee that investigated him thought that he should keep his job. I guess you would know more though.

^^^Funny, spoken just like a middle-aged ball coach. Time to get with the times, coach. The Maryland team was ready to walk out if Durkin returned. Read between the lines?

No sir, not grandstanding. A young man died.

Last edited:

^^^Funny, spoken just like a middle-aged ball coach. Time to get with the times, coach. The Maryland team was ready to walk out if Durkin returned. Read between the lines?

No sir, not grandstanding. A young man died.

Yes, a young man died, and now you're acting like your comments on a thread make you righteous. Spoken like a snowflake.

Here's your video SJW:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back