• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dirk unloads on NU

Exactly. That's my point. It hasn't happened for a long time and even in seasons where NU was good there were parts of the program that were not. We haven't seen consistency in a long time. Imo, it's a foundational issue. That has to get fixed and it's not going to be an easy fix.

So if it’s not an easy fix, reading that as quick fix, is MR the guy (64) to spend a long time fixing it only to start over if he doesn’t? I certainly don’t know, if I did I’d be an AD somewhere.

It is the truth of how far the program has fallen. It feels like when we played Minnesota in 1984 and they were talking how good Minnesota used to be. I am beginning to wonder if the leadership is there to find the correct direction to right this program.
The good news with that is maybe Perlman really was the problem. We all like to look a AD and point to him ... but if he doesn't have a boss who has clear objectives, expectations and performance standards then you get what we've had.

I suspect HP felt like his job was done once he hired FADSE and probably did not vet the hiring decision of MR enough.

So if it’s not an easy fix, reading that as quick fix, is MR the guy (64) to spend a long time fixing it only to start over if he doesn’t? I certainly don’t know, if I did I’d be an AD somewhere.

I don't think he is. It certainly doesn't seem like it anyway. I don't think 3 years will be enough time, but we should be seeing some evidence if it.

Alabama had the glory days just like Nebraska did. However, there alumni do not put much emphasis on it because what they are doing now is BETTER than what they did with Bear Bryant. They progressed, they adapted to the current state of college football, and have become the standard for winning. Nebraska has declined rapidly since 2001. We made it to the Championship that year but everyone knew that we did not belong. Back in 1994, people thought we did not belong either because Miami was supposedly bigger, faster, and stronger. However, Nebraska had more HEART. They won that game with passion and heart because they wanted it. They proved they were the best. For Nebraska to get back to the glory days and even become nationally relevant again, it has to start at the top. The leadership has to understand that the old way of doing things is not effective. Times have changed since 1999.

We cannot expect to come out and go from 6-6 or 7-5 to 11-0 or 10-2. We have to start by becoming relevant in the Big 10. We have to be taken seriously just in the West side of the conference. How do we do that? Come up with a formula that will be better than Wisconsin and Iowa. Those teams are not flashy, but they will beat you with a "bored" style of offense and they will beat you handily. We no longer have a pipeline, the pipeline is leaking and it is broken in places. We need offensive lineman that can pull and pancake defenders and open some gaps for Devine to plow through. We need some tackles that will protect the blindside of our quarterback. We have had this issue for many years, the difference is that our other QBs were mobile and able to escape, Tanner Lee is not as mobile. We have to protect our QB. Everything starts with the offensive line. If you can run the ball and make great gaps for the running back, the PA pass will become more dangerous and it will make the defense vulnerable. These giant prospects that Wisconsin gets are not 5 star guys, they are considered average lineman that are huge and can actually perform on the field. We need that! We need O-lineman that understand they are everything to the offense's success.

I think it is great that we are making some big waves in recruiting these wide receivers and defensive backs. We definitely need them and we have extremely effective coaches that can make them into something, but we have to be just as adamant about getting linemen. Any thoughts on this? I do not know much about schemes and the tactical side of football, but I have watched enough games to understand that we are struggling big time.

Last edited:
I think it is great that we are making some big waves in recruiting these wide receivers and defensive backs. We definitely need them and we have extremely effective coaches that can make them into something, but we have to be just as adamant about getting linemen. Any thoughts on this? I do not know much about schemes and the tactical side of football, but I have watched enough games to understand that we are struggling big time.

i think it has to be teaching right? you get the snowball rolling downhill by taking the players you have and making them good enough to be successful get drafted. i think (my read) that these kids want 2 things. be a part of something great and go to the nfl. if you show that you can maximize who that line is as a unit and who they are as a player, then you can achieve critical mass and be a culture that gets and produces great lineman.

if you had a son who was a D1 prospect o-lineman. would you choose this staff/team culture to develop him as a player?

No I would not, honestly. Listen, I love Nebraska just as much as the next die hard, but we have to put aside the passion and the heart that blinds us sometimes and get real. The reality of it is that Nebraska is soft right now. I agree with your coaching comment. The coaching sets the tone. Results need to happen on the field in order to allow recruits to see that Nebraska does what they say they are going to do.

No one — certainly not after wins — complained about a diluted product because he or she might be labeled a downer or a traitor. No one dared tell the truth: The Emperor had no clothes.

I liked this quote - it reminds me of HERE.

It’s been twenty years since Husker football feasted at the altars of the football gods. Since then we’ve changed administrations, coaches, players, and schemes. It strikes me the one thing that hasn’t changed are the fans. The so-called “greatest fans in college football.” The consumers of the product. Consumers whose passion far exceeds the loyalty to Apple, Inc.

In that vein, is it possible Nebraska football has become as much a marketing scheme as the substance of a football program? Fans keep filling Memorial Stadium but perhaps even that is illusory. Perhaps the legacy of Osborne is a foundation so firm it has endured to today even without the substance that once made it great. If so, what has changed?

Generally, we know our society has seen tremendous change in the past twenty years. We’re all different and we think differently. One could easily write a dissertation on the subject and many do. But, I’ll keep it simple: follow the money. Our society has been monetized in just about every way. Where there’s a buck to be made an angle has been found. We now pay for water, parking, standing, sitting, and breathing either by charge, user fee or taxation. What once was a ticket to sit first come, first served is a tiered system of privilege based on money.

Added to that, more people earn a living on Husker football than could have been imagined twenty years ago. We now pay for what we believe we want, feel entitled for what we pay, and believe we can buy whatever we need for success – and there’s a marketing machine and human need greasing the skid every inch of the way. Don’t kid yourself, the kids we call the “team” are just as caught up in it as any of us --and we reinforce it, intentionally or not.

Human nature 101. People set themselves up for failure when their identity is based on something as temporal as a football program, money or any other man-made device. In the end, that may be the legacy the Osborne era unintentionally fostered and the system so easily uses. Personally, I believe the coach sees this and it at least partially accounts for his present distance from the program. For him, the legacy always was and always will be, the people.

There’s a spiritual principle. Call it performance (the law) vs. spirit (grace). In the spiritual realm one results in death and the other gives life. Many are caught under the spell of one or the other and others struggle somewhere between. It lies at the core of much of the argumentation on these forums. It can either transform a fan base or cause it to die. Like anything lasting, its currency is relationship, not money or glory.

There’s another principle: one must die to self before they can find life. Maybe the Nebraska fan base needs to die before life can rise from the ashes. Perhaps it is impossible to expect “kids” to be something until the fan base sets the example. We can choose to observe or lead. Observing obviously isn’t working. We now have beaucoup media telling us what’s wrong, what the standard should be and what we must do to fix it. Listen to the average Nebraska commentator (and message board commentators) and it’s the same thing over and over, ad nauseum. Perhaps it’s time to step away from all of it. That’s what I have done in order to find any enjoyment in the “game.” And perhaps the players we need to achieve the “Nebraska way” will never enjoy it until we collectively do it.

I wrote most of this weeks ago and never posted until I read DC’s article. We’ve been on the same journey evidently. One thing he wrote that really provoked my posting this: “tradition is treasure, but in some ways it’d be easier for Husker football to start over. Thin the herd. Let the fan base rebuild organically. Let joy be the driving force, not duty and obligation.”

That created the connection to my thoughts. Nonetheless, I’ve learned my life’s paradigm often doesn’t fit with the flow. Especially when it comes to “competition.” It’s too counterintuitive to the performance oriented mind. That’s why dying may be the only answer.

I don’t know whether Mike Riley will deliver us to the promised land. I like him and his focus. Maybe he really does lack as a football coach, but I doubt it. Too much experience in an obviously wise guy who has shown he will make the decisions to change and adapt, even at a ripe old age in some eyes. It strikes me he may be exactly what the “Nebraska way” needs at this time – building the foundation for future success.

This I do know. The people who make the decision about where we go better be extremely wise and discerning about a whole lot more than football.

Adios Amigos. I’m going back to trying to enjoy the game I loved forty years ago. Granted, it’s hard. Practically, I’ve started by just listening to the game radio broadcast., Not Lyle Bremser but our guys are pretty good. I loved it then. Can I now?

It was a good article, and I say that grudgingly as I think Dirk can be a twit sometimes.

One article that I think about every week was Lee's preseason article back in August.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_9b5721b5-05c5-5c69-9abc-e98d9eb1186d.html

How prophetic was this piece? He got dragged over this thing from all angles, but here we are. In many ways, worse off than the estimates within.

wow, i forgot all about that. i remember reading that and being angry/defiant. i really thought this was our year to win the west, and i was not ready to listen to lee telling me otherwise

Honestly could make these points about almost everything he writes. I don't necessarily disagree with him either but it seemed like the rant piece he's be itching to write since Bo left.
Dirk is a complete Jerk...can't bother to read or care about anything he writes.

I guess I am in the mindset as to let it crumble to the ground and rebuild! But I don't think this staff is the one to rebuild. Yes we lose recruits and I am sure some players will transfer, but I say lets push the reset button and start anew. Build a solid foundation with the lines and go out from there. Build up the lines and the highly rated skill players will come. I still believe we are at a level of at least Iowa right now. Take another step and beat Wisky and then keep striving for more. It might cause a couple lean years but the lean years are coming no matter what.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back