• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Didn't anyone see Solo this weekend?

NUinID

Junior Varsity
5 Year Member
Saw it, liked it. It was what a Star Wars movie is suppose to be, an escapist sci-fi adventure. Nothing earth shattering or life changing about it like some people feel it should be. Just 2 hours of entertainment.

Saw it, liked it. It was what a Star Wars movie is suppose to be, an escapist sci-fi adventure. Nothing earth shattering or life changing about it like some people feel it should be. Just 2 hours of entertainment.
How would you say it compares to Rogue One?

How would you say it compares to Rogue One?

Rogue One is darker, and even if it is suppose to be separate from the first trilogy it really isn't. It is still very involved in the resistance/empire stuff.

Solo has very little of that stuff in it. It has no references to the force at all. More humor and a lighter tone for the most part. It was pretty good, it wasn't great.

I probably liked Rogue One better for the action sequences but they are different movies with completely different tones being set. I am not some fan boy that analyses every little thing. I leave that to my son. I liked The Last Jedi for what it is suppose to be an "escapist sci-fi adventure" not something that is suppose to be profound and meaningful.

Rogue One is darker, and even if it is suppose to be separate from the first trilogy it really isn't. It is still very involved in the resistance/empire stuff.

Solo has very little of that stuff in it. It has no references to the force at all. More humor and a lighter tone for the most part. It was pretty good, it wasn't great.

I probably liked Rogue One better for the action sequences but they are different movies with completely different tones being set. I am not some fan boy that analyses every little thing. I leave that to my son. I liked The Last Jedi for what it is suppose to be an "escapist sci-fi adventure" not something that is suppose to be profound and meaningful.
Makes sense. I think I'll like it.
Thanks!

You see I don't even know what IMDB rankings are.
IMDB is the Internet Movie Database (imdb.com).

Their rankings are simply from vistors to the site ranking movies they've seen on a 10 point scale. Solo is currently sitting at a 7.2 average with about 52,000 votes. Rogue One is at 7.8 with 426,000 votes.

Since Solo is new, it has a lot fewer votes. But it's enough votes that it probably isn't going to move much either direction.

For comparison, The Shawshank Redemption is the highest ranked movie on IMDB with a 9.2.

https://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Their rankings are simply from vistors to the site ranking movies they've seen on a 10 point scale. Solo is currently sitting at a 7.2 average with about 52,000 votes. Rogue One is at 7.8 with 426,000 votes.

Since Solo is new, it has a lot fewer votes. But it's enough votes that it probably isn't going to move much either direction.

For comparison, The Shawshank Redemption is the highest ranked movie on IMDB with a 9.2.

7.8 vs 7.2 is "much" better?
:O O:
Its less than a 10% difference.

7.8 vs 7.2 is "much" better?
:O O:
Its less than a 10% difference.

See top 250 link above. 0.6 is the difference between being in the top 10 and the top 100.

At the middlin' 7s range, there are probably 1,000 movies between Solo and Rogue One.

See top 250 link above. 0.6 is the difference between being in the top 10 and the top 100.

At the middlin' 7s range, there are probably 1,000 movies between Solo and Rogue One.
That sounds like a lot of work.
I'd rather someone here just describe the movie to me.

OK, about the only thing I may glace at is the rotten tomatoes ratings. I don't look at a lot of rating stuff on most things because people that don't like something tend to be overly negative about things on them.

Wait, this is a Star Wars movie?

I thought this movie was about a crazy USWNT soccer goalie.

I liked The Last Jedi for what it is suppose to be an "escapist sci-fi adventure" not something that is suppose to be profound and meaningful.
Ummmmmmm, I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

Watching the Last Jedi, to me anyway, would be the same as going to a Jurassic Park show but the movie plot line more closely resembles Land of the Lost. Sure there are dinosaurs, and scientists and escape scenes, and comedy, and a general "lets get out of here alive" type of mood, but it would just completely destroy the overall Jurassic Park story to do that.

And that is what The Last Jedi did. If one knew nothing about Star Wars or even the general Star Wars history, ok, I could see this movie being ok. But for Rian Johnson or Disney to call that flaming sack of crap a "Star Wars episode" is just complete horse poopy.

Solo, I liked Solo. Was not a bad movie. Did not much care for the actor portraying Solo, but overall it was good.

I really liked Solo. This is one time I am glad I didn't listen to the reviews. That said, the actor who played Han looked nothing like a younger Harrison Ford, and I never got the sense that he was imitating any of Harrison Ford's gestures or quirks that made Han Solo who he was. When Ewan McGregor played Obi-Wan, I felt like he really seemed like a younger version of Alec Guinness. And holy crap, Donald Glover was spot on as Lando. Chewie was also totally believable as a younger Chewie.

But other than that quibble, I really liked the movie.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back