• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Did we really get screwed against Texas with the extra second?

As for the Texas game. If you're one of the conspiracy nuts who think we got screwed, what if it was a reverse scenario? I bet you'd be just as livid if the Huskers were driving, the QB threw it out of bounds, and they didn't give the Huskers a chance to kick a FG with 1 second on the clock.

Some people can't set aside emotions and think rationally.

Texas game was an unfortunate, but, I think, a fair loss. The refs were splitting hairs but trying to make sure that they made the right call on the play given all the info available - the outcome of the game was clearly on the line. In every game there are potential game changing plays earlier in the game, but that the play was so critical may not be clear until the end of the game. In this case it was a pivotal play with no chance for a comeback. The Penn State game was an egregious error - to this day I don't know how that one happened - the receiver's foot was in the next county. Also, on the next (I think) play - pass to the end zone - the receiver probably trapped the ball, but that one's not so clear. Either way, we deserved to win that one - call was awful. But it's water under the bridge. I agree with everyone that we've got a lot to look forward to - I'm more hyped for Husker football than I have been in a long, long time. If nothing else I think we'll see a return to what made the Huskers a team apart from the others. We'll do it by the code.

We have gotten screwed 10 times from Texas.
1959, they screwed us 0 - 20
1996, they screwed us 27 - 37
1998, they screwed us 16 - 20
1999, they screwed us 20 -24
2002, they screwed us 24 - 27
2003, they screwed us 7 - 31
2006, they screwed us 20 - 22
2007, they screwed us 25 - 28
2009, they screwed us 12 -13 (this being the one tick on the clock game.0
2010, they screwed us 13 - 20.

Texas Texas, you know what I am Texasing saying.....

These seconds are lost on plays all throughout the game. On every other play, they are simply lost. If you are going to go back and review every play, and add an indeterminate amount of time to regulation at the end of the game, we might as well call this game soccer and be done with it.

As a red-blooded, gun-totin' 'Merican, I'll not stand here and let you bad mouth America.

There's a reason they don't review the exact clock setting after each play. It's the same reason they don't review the refs placement of the football after each play. That reason is it would make the game last 6+ hours. Nobody wants that.

So they only review things like that when it's in a critical situation: the placement of the ball when one team is going for it on fourth down and it's close, or in this case an incomplete pass with time running out.

It's tough when you get calls like that that go against you. Some Husker fans are still fuming over the out of bounds pass in the 1982 Penn State game.

I know people in Oklahoma that will STILL point to what they thought was an illegal block in the back on Johnny Rodgers' Game of the Century punt return.

I'm sure we're not the only team that's lost an important game because of a questionable call.

Well, there IS a block in the back on that return.

Last edited:

I might get flack for this, but Nebraska would have beaten Alabama had they played them in a bowl game that year. Texas beats them also if McCoy had not gone down. I think, at the end of the 2009 season, Nebraska beats anyone. Imagine if they get into a playoff that year after beating Texas at 10-3, no one would have wanted any part of them, even with their limited offense. Still, easily, the best defense college football has seen this century. It was impenetrable by seasons end.

Last edited:
I might get flack for this, but Nebraska would have beaten Alabama had they played them in a bowl game that year. Texas beats them also if McCoy had not gone down. I think, at the end of the 2009 season, Nebraska beats anyone. Imagine if they get into a playoff that year after beating Texas at 10-3, no one would have wanted any part of them, even with their limited offense. Still, easily, the best defense college football has seen this century. It was impenetrable by seasons end.
The offense was beyond anemic, Im not sure we would have scared many top teams. IMO, the defense was bad to the bone though. I just dont think we could have scored more then 10 points on any top team. GBR

The offense was beyond anemic, Im not sure we would have scared many top teams. IMO, the defense was bad to the bone though. I just dont think we could have scored more then 10 points on any top team. GBR
That's one time, you could actually get by with an anemic offense. That Texas team was an offensive juggernaut. One of the best in 2009. NU was a heavy underdog. They did NOTHING. Zero. I think at the end, Nebraska beats anyone, anywhere.

Alabama defense was just as good and had an offense with some darn good RB’s.. We weren’t THAT good.
Alabama's defense was good, no doubt, but the last 1/3 of that particular season, Nebraska's defense was nearly impenetrable. Texas had one of if not the best offenses in the country, they couldn't do anything. Alabama's offense wasn't Texas. Btw, Texas had a pretty stout defense themselves.

Alabama's defense was good, no doubt, but the last 1/3 of that particular season, Nebraska's defense was nearly impenetrable. Texas had one of if not the best offenses in the country, they couldn't do anything. Alabama's offense wasn't Texas. Btw, Texas had a pretty stout defense themselves.
Miss seeing Suh throw around McCoy and UT’s o line

As for the Texas game. If you're one of the conspiracy nuts who think we got screwed, what if it was a reverse scenario? I bet you'd be just as livid if the Huskers were driving, the QB threw it out of bounds, and they didn't give the Huskers a chance to kick a FG with 1 second on the clock.

Some people can't set aside emotions and think rationally.
Th point is if it would have been reversed that year they would not have reviewed it. They wanted an undefeated Texass in the BCS game and the fix was in.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back