• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Defense gassed?

Replacing failure - no matter the talent potential being removed - has a way of getting the message across to change or lose your job. I know what it's like in high school being shoved into a varsity game because we needed to churn time and the guy in front of me was too soft on running downs. So, yeah, coach put my 180 pound sophomore ass out there to replace a 230 pound guy. But when it came to brute drive blocking, that was sort of my cup of tea. Both of us beat out the senior that wasn't using technique. On the next drive he was back in because he knew the plays and I really didn't. My sophomore year was pretty much my first real year of learning football. It made sense to have the big junior that knew the playbook in for most of the plays. But in specific circumstances, put the inexperienced guy in. And in every instance that mattered, sit the guy not doing his job.
Seems to me you're setting up the scrub to fail. I agree in principle that if you're not doing the job you're out but when there's no real depth that gets pretty iffy.

You cannot succeed or fail without opportunity.

Guys like Mazour certainly could perform in 80% of our games this year. But they don't see the field. Until Ozigbo ran 170 yards, we didn't see much out of Washington. Ozigbo's success really lit a fire underneath Washington. No disrespect to Ozigbo, but he's on a whole different performance level on the perimeter.

Replacing failure - no matter the talent potential being removed - has a way of getting the message across to change or lose your job. I know what it's like in high school being shoved into a varsity game because we needed to churn time and the guy in front of me was too soft on running downs. So, yeah, coach put my 180 pound sophomore ass out there to replace a 230 pound guy. But when it came to brute drive blocking, that was sort of my cup of tea. Both of us beat out the senior that wasn't using technique. On the next drive he was back in because he knew the plays and I really didn't. My sophomore year was pretty much my first real year of learning football. It made sense to have the big junior that knew the playbook in for most of the plays. But in specific circumstances, put the inexperienced guy in. And in every instance that mattered, sit the guy not doing his job.
So in your OPINION:
1. Our coaches cannot teach proper technique.
2. Our coaches cannot develop players.
3. Our coaches should sit players not doing the job because we have enough depth to do that.
4. You don't think coaches are substituting properly.
Did I get it right?

Last edited:
You cannot succeed or fail without opportunity.

Guys like Mazour certainly could perform in 80% of our games this year. But they don't see the field. Until Ozigbo ran 170 yards, we didn't see much out of Washington. Ozigbo's success really lit a fire underneath Washington. No disrespect to Ozigbo, but he's on a whole different performance level on the perimeter.
Washington was hurt then sick. I think the fire was already there but I agree competition is good.

So in your OPINION:
1. Our coaches cannot teach proper technique.
2. Our coaches cannot develop players.
3. Our coaches should sit players not doing the job because we have enough depth to do that.
4. You don't think coaches are substituting properly.
Did I get it right?

I think on the defensive side of the ball the coaches are acting green. You never let anyone feel complacent no matter their personal talent compared to their peers. That time right after they leave the field is when you have their most intense attention. Use it. Teach. Send them in to succeed. Zero feedback leaves them stagnant and development withers. But reverse the trend and they get stronger during the season.

I think on the defensive side of the ball the coaches are acting green. You never let anyone feel complacent no matter their personal talent compared to their peers. That time right after they leave the field is when you have their most intense attention. Use it. Teach. Send them in to succeed. Zero feedback leaves them stagnant and development withers. But reverse the trend and they get stronger during the season.[/QUOTE
Defensive coaches are "acting green?" What does that even mean? LOL This post sounds like you are quoting lines from "Coaching Defense for Dummies."

I think on the defensive side of the ball the coaches are acting green. You never let anyone feel complacent no matter their personal talent compared to their peers. That time right after they leave the field is when you have their most intense attention. Use it. Teach. Send them in to succeed. Zero feedback leaves them stagnant and development withers. But reverse the trend and they get stronger during the season.[/QUOTE
Defensive coaches are "acting green?" What does that even mean? LOL This post sounds like you are quoting lines from "Coaching Defense for Dummies."

I think on the defensive side of the ball the coaches are acting green. You never let anyone feel complacent no matter their personal talent compared to their peers. That time right after they leave the field is when you have their most intense attention. Use it. Teach. Send them in to succeed. Zero feedback leaves them stagnant and development withers. But reverse the trend and they get stronger during the season.
Defensive side of the ball "coaches are acting green." What does that even mean? LOL This post sounds like lines straight out of "Coaching Football for Dummies."

It seems few really vocal posters do not wants any ideas or opinion on how to make the defense better. I can not believe how much people give a pass continually to a bad defense. Any ideas are meet with such resistance you are not allowed an opinion. This is a form of censorship. Einstein said insanity was doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

It seems few really vocal posters do not wants any ideas or opinion on how to make the defense better. I can not believe how much people give a pass continually to a bad defense. Any ideas are meet with such resistance you are not allowed an opinion. This is a form of censorship. Einstein said insanity was doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
There needs to be some definite changes, but I think the right personnel will go a long way. Let’s be honest, didn’t our first 5 offensive possessions yield about 3 points while our defense was hanging in there? We can’t just keep running our defense out after using up 45 seconds against a team like Wisconsin.

Lots of layers of suck right now.

5 games

There needs to be some definite changes, but I think the right personnel will go a long way. Let’s be honest, didn’t our first 5 offensive possessions yield about 3 points while our defense was hanging in there? We can’t just keep running our defense out after using up 45 seconds against a team like Wisconsin.

Lots of layers of suck right now.

That is how HCSF runs offense. The defense is on the field a lot. I do not think we execute very well on offense or defense. There are lots of fundamental break downs like not making a pile when you get double teamed. Our defenders are turning their shoulder and not taking on blocks head up. Fix the basics and good things happen.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back