• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Danny Woodhead to retire after 10 years in NFL

Did you not follow recruiting during the Solich years?
I did. I'm curious why, at the end of November, Solich left a kid he was planning to offer thinking he was too small and couldn't even walk on to the program. That's a hell of a recruiting effort. "Hey, kid, i know I told you that you couldn't play at this level and haven't even talked about having you walk on, but now that UNK has said they don't want you I've had a change of heart. I just needed to rewatch those state playoff games a few times to convince myself. Oh, and listen, signing day is next week, so if I could get an answer quick, that'd be great."

I did. I'm curious why, at the end of November, Solich left a kid he was planning to offer thinking he was too small and couldn't even walk on to the program. That's a hell of a recruiting effort. "Hey, kid, i know I told you that you couldn't play at this level and haven't even talked about having you walk on, but now that UNK has said they don't want you I've had a change of heart. I just needed to rewatch those state playoff games a few times to convince myself. Oh, and listen, signing day is next week, so if I could get an answer quick, that'd be great."
He did it every year. By the time signing day rolled around and some plan A guys went elsewhere, a few local guys would all of a sudden get scholies.

first time I seen Woodhead was at a preseason fall scrimmage before his freshman season. his second carry he carries it around the right side and jukes a couple, runs thru a couple sure tackles and outruns the rest. after practice I'm walking across the field and run into Woodhead say hello. cant get over the size of legs. never seen such big legs on a short guy. went to work and told a couple long time Nebraska followers that Nebraska had made a mistake. told them he could not only play at Nebraska but that barring injury we could see this kid in nfl someday. of course they laughed at me and poo poo'ed me for weeks, then months, then years. haven't heard from them lately. wish that picking a stock was as easy as it was picking Woodhead as a cant miss once you seen him play in person

He did it every year. By the time signing day rolled around and some plan A guys went elsewhere, a few local guys would all of a sudden get scholies.

Were those plan B guys the staff kept up a relationship with or guys they weren't even going to let walk on?

I've always been pretty neutral on Frank's firing, but if this kid was thinking what he was (as quoted above) on Nov 29 of his senior year, and FS was going to offer, that's pretty crappy recruiting.

In any case, I will never forget sitting in the 19th hole of a country club and hearing a UNK football coach say there were 10 Danny Woodheads in Denver alone that year when asked about their lack of interest in him. Good call bro.

I've always been pretty neutral on Frank's firing, but if this kid was thinking what he was (as quoted above) on Nov 29 of his senior year, and FS was going to offer, that's pretty crappy recruiting.

I agree BRS. If Solich really did this it’s no wonder his recruiting wasn’t up to par. So did he just ignore what he learned under Osborne? If so, that’s just sad.

Solich had already passed on Woodhead...the evil Callahan could not have saved the day during the 3 weeks he had to salvage the transition class because Danny had decided weeks before BC was hired.

==================================================

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/sports/ncaafootball/26back.html
Before his senior year, Woodhead attended Nebraska’s summer football camp. He said he had several conversations with Nebraska’s coach at the time, Frank Solich, who encouraged him to walk on as a kick returner. “It was tough to swallow,” he said. Instead, Woodhead committed in December 2003 to Chadron State, where his parents had attended college and where his older brother, Ben, was then playing football. He made his decision after Solich had been fired but before the current Nebraska coach, Bill Callahan, was hired.
He would have come with an offer. Period.

That doesn't refute anything I said. Solich always handed out scholies to Nebraska guys very late in the process. He would've offered Woodhead. And I have a better source for that than Woodhead.
Nemes baby, are you freaking serious? You have a better source than Woodhead himself..... HAHAHAHA! Why the troll job bub?

Congrats to one of the most productive RB's in football history, Nebraska kid.
Let me preface this with this statement, I am not defacing or saying that Danny wasn't a great RB, however, he really wasn't one of the most productive RB's in football history, especially in the NFL. Here is his stats, from the link you provided.
Woodhead scored 32 career touchdowns (15 rushing, 17 receiving) and had 4,936 total yards (2,238 rushing, 2,698 receiving) during his nine NFL seasons with the New York Jets, New England Patriots, San Diego Chargers and the Baltimore Ravens.
2,238 rushing yards over a 9 year career, just isn't one of the most productive RB's in football history.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back