• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Damion Daniels will announce at 10:35 AM CST on ESPN on NSD (1 February).

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's true. It's why Texas universities have been so incredibly poor at football for decades. Overrated. In state. Kids.
I don't know if they're overrated, but they do have a bigger potential to burn out since they're just all football all the time from when they start youth leagues.

I don't know if they're overrated, but they do have a bigger potential to burn out since they're just all football all the time from when they start youth leagues.
I once listened to a pretty prominent FBS coach talk about what he wanted out of kids coming from high school. Essentially he stated that "kids bodies are pieces of clay" and "we want to have as much soft clay to work with when they get to college, be that from coaching or S&C." He went on to say "the minute a kid starts specializing or getting imbalances or on the other end stops working out, the start to put that clay in the kiln. And have you ever seen how difficult it is to remold clay once it's been in a kiln? Darn near impossible. It's so tough to correct things if they are already programmed a certain way. I mean, a kid will quit basketball to workout for football and what does he go do in the weight room? Box jumps? Ok, go jump trying to out rebound a competitor for the ball."

Really shed some light on things for me.

The burnout factor is so true of many kids. Especially some of the four and five star kids. So much of their life has been spent at camps 7on7 competition then the season and off season. The 4&5 stars sometimes feel they've made it when the get dozens of offers and an incredible amount of attention. What more do I need to prove could be their attitude once the get on campus.
Coaches really need to do their homework on motivation and attitude and that can be very difficult to evaluate.

I'm not terribly concerned about DD being overrated. His dad played for the Packers for a bit I believe. His brother was a 4* coming out of HS and appears on track to start at DT for Okla St next season. Damion's stats were also pretty much in line with or better than his brother his senior year.

I'm also giving our successful NFL veteran position coach the benefit of the doubt when it comes to recognizing if a kid has tapped out his potential.

You went to alot of trouble to list your version of 'coming up short'....and no list on the sucesses? Should have been easier enough while you were there.
Besides...according to you, it should have been a very short list.
Yes, I could have listed the successes out of TX, but then what would you have to talk about?

I'm not terribly concerned about DD being overrated. His dad played for the Packers for a bit I believe. His brother was a 4* coming out of HS and appears on track to start at DT for Okla St next season. Damion's stats were also pretty much in line with or better than his brother his senior year.

I'm also giving our successful NFL veteran position coach the benefit of the doubt when it comes to recognizing if a kid has tapped out his potential.
You could be absolutely correct, but that's a whole lot of assumptions.

The burnout factor is so true of many kids. Especially some of the four and five star kids. So much of their life has been spent at camps 7on7 competition then the season and off season. The 4&5 stars sometimes feel they've made it when the get dozens of offers and an incredible amount of attention. What more do I need to prove could be their attitude once the get on campus.
Coaches really need to do their homework on motivation and attitude and that can be very difficult to evaluate.
I think the ratio is higher with threes if only because there are so many more of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back