• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creighton Thread 2017-2018 Season

111-68 over North Dakota. ND was respectable through much of the first half but ultimately CU was just better at every spot on the floor. As you'd expect.

In case you haven't noticed I'm super annoyed at this year's OOC home schedule. After Nebraska, ND is probably the best team they'll play...well, yale is respectable too. But good god...lots of empty seats (compared to normal) last night and it's a direct result of people just getting sick of it IMO. I skipped the game before because I wasn't feeling well....I don't skip games because I feel like crap. Just figured I can see them smash 4 or 5 other tomato cans later. Next year will be better with Gonzaga and a Big 10 team for the gavitt games but they need to do a better job of not scheduling pure s...

Anyway, NU up next. Then they basically have the rest of the month off until Seaton Hall on the 28th.

111-68 over North Dakota. ND was respectable through much of the first half but ultimately CU was just better at every spot on the floor. As you'd expect.

In case you haven't noticed I'm super annoyed at this year's OOC home schedule. After Nebraska, ND is probably the best team they'll play...well, yale is respectable too. But good god...lots of empty seats (compared to normal) last night and it's a direct result of people just getting sick of it IMO. I skipped the game before because I wasn't feeling well....I don't skip games because I feel like crap. Just figured I can see them smash 4 or 5 other tomato cans later. Next year will be better with Gonzaga and a Big 10 team for the gavitt games but they need to do a better job of not scheduling pure s...

Anyway, NU up next. Then they basically have the rest of the month off until Seaton Hall on the 28th.

I'll predict 8-4 OOC.

Turns out they will be 10-2 ooc. 8-4 was pretty pissimistic in hindsight. Even 9-3, looking back, woukd be disappointing.

I'll stick with 10-8 in conference and 5th place....point guard play is a problem.

Harsh

Attachments

• 20171210_102545.jpg
    20171210_102545.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 43
The game, from a creighton perspective....

CU was super sloppy in the 1st half. Their lack of a true high level PG was very apparent. If they intend for Alexander to be a pg going forward i think he will br very good. But he is green still. Mintz is a back up at best...and maybe better suited as a wing but even there he wouldn't be anywhere near what CU is accustomed to. Anyway, too msny turnovers.

I imagine CU would be happy to let NU take those 1st half 3s again. It isnt characteristic of NU to nail 5 of 8 or whatever it was to start.

Thomad did a good job on Watson but foul trouble limited his minutes in the 1st half. Watson is a guy they couldn't afford to let go off like he did against Minny so keeping him in single digits was huge.

If you look at the box score CU had a marked advantage in all but 2 areas. 3s and turnovers. 65% inside the arch, out rebounded NU, got to the line more, 14-4 on 2nd chance points, etc. The other "advantage" NU had was playimg the game the pace they'd prefer most of the game. CU was able to beat NU without it being the up tempo game they'd much prefer. That's a good thing...Big east teams will not generally just let cu run up and down at will. This was a little kike the Baylor game in that the 3 wasnt falling...the difference was that they DID hit a huge one late and they got a lot more done inside than they did against baylor.

Ronnie Herrell was huge. 12 points i think amd 11 boards. His body wouldn't tell you "beast in the boards"...it's effort. Against Baylor he missed a couple bunnies and got spooked. Yesterday he was confident and aggressive and it was night and day. Ballack played a really good game as well. And Foster, for as much as he frustrates me bit some big shots and pulled down 7 boards which is huge for him....he should get 5 a night just showing up.

Last edited:

Maryland Eastern Shore. I am having a hard time putting into words how awful that basketball team was. I am not exaggerating when i say that was the worst D1 basketball team i have even seen. 16000 people were robbed of their time and money last night in downtown Omaha.

I honestly can't say that team would win the class A title in Nebraska. Creighton may actually be a worse basketball team today for having played that game. They actually played like crap and won by 50.

UT Arlington is actually a fairly decent team. They are the perfect non con imo. Play well and you will win yet they will expose some things you need to work on. Play your C game and they might beat your ass.

Apparently there were 16 scouts to watch this game as #25 for UTA is a prospect as well as Khyri and Marcus. Dude filled it up in the 2nd half. Jays rolled them in the first...led by 20 or so and then fell asleep at halftime. UTA was throwing up some serious slop that was going in but they also have some guys that can hurt you. Ended up winning by 9.

Foster went off for 32. Ballock hit some huge 3s in the second half. Onward.

One more slug before conference play starts...against So. Car. Upstate or some s... like that. :Facepalm:

Jays ranked in both polls now. 24 and 25. I am a little less optimistic now than I was a few weeks ago. NW and UCLA wins are tarnished. Lack of a good, experienced PG is going to haunt them in the big east and shooting 30 3s against crap teams like the other night shows an inability or refusal to impose your will against inferior competition...you aren't going to win 10+ games in the big east doing that.

The syracuse transfer was last seen on a milk carton. Supposedly been fighting a hammy but he has gotten garbage time in a couple games so i think that must be ok. He has some things CU is missing that Mintz doesn't provide...must be in a doghouse situation.

Bluejays win 116 to 62 over SC Upstate. LOL... SC Who? But 116, that's a ton of pointage.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/12/21/the-reinvention-of-greg-mcdermott/?sf177125317=1

Good article on Mac's transformation from a slow it down style to "let it fly".

That’s a great article. I was surprised when Creighton hired McDermott. At the time, the dude was probably the worst coach that the Big 12 had seen in a while. I remember watching that team with all those NBA players on it, It was brutally hard to watch players of that caliber be so horrible. I remember Doc and him having some games that made me want to jump off a bridge. IIRC, there was a game where it was 19-11 at halftime. I’m not sure what happened there but I know he was a lot better coach than that. He’s proved it pre-ISU and he’s certainly proved it post-ISU.

That epiphany he had was next-level because he has Creighton’s program rolling. They move the ball so well and it’s such a fun system to play in. If I was a recruit, that’s the type of system I would like to play in. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, easy to root for.

Question for the Creighton fans on the board. Obviously, having Dana Altman was crucial to Creighton’s success the past 20 years, but how much of of their success can be attributed to the A.D.? I think people give too much credit to coaches for the success of programs. Coaches are the most important, but as Nebraska football fans, we all know that if your not right up top, it rolls down hill. Rasmussen seems like a really good A.D. with a sound vision. I’m sure you guys agree, but just how much credit should he get?

Last edited:

That’s a great article. I was surprised when Creighton hired McDermott. At the time, the dude was probably the worst coach that the Big 12 had seen in a while. I remember watching that team with all those NBA players on it, It was brutally hard to watch players of that caliber be so horrible. I remember Doc and him having some games that made me want to jump off a bridge. IIRC, there was a game where it was 19-11 at halftime. I’m not sure what happened there but I know he was a lot better coach than that. He’s proved it pre-ISU and he’s certainly proved it post-ISU.

That epiphany he had was next-level because he has Creighton’s program rolling. They move the ball so well and it’s such a fun system to play in. If I was a recruit, that’s the type of system I would like to play him. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, easy to root for.

Question for the Creighton fans on the board. Obviously, having Dana Altman was crucial to Creighton’s success the past 20 years, but how much of of their success can be attributed to the A.D.? I think people give too much credit to coaches for the success of programs. Coaches are the most important, but as Nebraska football fans, we all know that if your not right up top, it rolls down hill. Rasmussen seems like a really good A.D. with a sound vision. I’m sure you guys agree, but just how much credit should does he get?
I'm certainly not involved or "inside"...just a fan. But certainly Rasmussen has to get a LOT of credit.

While Altman wasn't struggling at KSU as badly as Mac was at ISU he wasn't exactly loved down there IIRC. His hire was a surprise thoigh as he was coming from a better program/conference. For perspective, Rick Johnson makes makes Mike Riley look like Vince Lombardi. Dumpster fire would have been an upgrade. What altman did was nothing short of miraculous...increased wins somethimg like 7 years straight. I can't tell you how many times i heard on this board how he wasn't all that, he was on his way out at ksu, he couldn't cut it in the big time, he is just a mid major guy etc. He has proven all that wrong...and Raz has to get credit for scooping him up when he did AND for being the kind of boss that DA wanted to stick around for (the Arkansas thing notwithstanding) before finally jumping.

With Mac....i can tell you CU fans i talk to weren't jazzed at all. His offense was painfully boring and he was not doing well at ISU. But Raz wasted ZERO time in going and getting him. Mac was the first guy on his list. The rest is history...it was a brilliant hire. Is Mac coach K? Not by a longshot. He will make you pull your hair out occasionally. But there isn't a singke rational Jays fan that wasnt VERY concerned over the OSU flirtation. Based on his "I'm happy" comment I think he may be here for the long haul....and a lot of that is a credit to Raz...by all accounts, coaches love working for him. That said...he won't be around forever.

The move to the Qwest/centurylink was also HUGE. Personally, i thought it was dumb idea. 5-10,000 people? The place will be half empty. As it turns oit it has been a large part of why they are where they are at now.

Beyond basketball you have a soccer team that is a national power and a relatively new volleyball program that dominates a weak conference but is a fairly legit program regardless of conference. All of that is because he has hired really good coaches.

His name was mentioned (not very seriously) when NU hired Eichorst. The knock, obviously, would have been his not having AD'd a football program...but some guys just know what they are doing and i think he would have been really good at Nebraska.

The short answer...he has ultimately been MORE important than Altman and Mac because he was the guy smart enough to hire them in the first place and then make it hard for them to leave.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back