• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Couple not-so-enthusiastic outside opinions of the 2018 Huskers

I’m not sure what you are getting at but I think I disagree. An experienced QB running this offense returning would be better than our current situation. Year 1 of a new coach trumps any experience returning which is why expectations get tempered. Outsiders are right, lack of experience at quarterback is not a good thing.

SF hinted as much in today's presser. The QBs have flashes of great play, and then at times the game is moving too fast for them. I mean we have three more weeks of practice...but it's not a stretch to say that QB play could be a weak spot this year, relatively speaking.

SF hinted as much in today's presser. The QBs have flashes of great play, and then at times the game is moving too fast for them. I mean we have three more weeks of practice...but it's not a stretch to say that QB play could be a weak spot this year, relatively speaking.
If one of them is an "it" guy qb wont be a major problem. There may be some growing pains here and there but if gebbia or Martinez are future all conference level guys we will get goodnqb play fairly early on.

If whoever wins the job then throws 12 TDs and 24 ints...to later go on and play at an all conference caliber...that wont happen. If qb play is truly poor throughout the year it will mean that we dont have the QB of the future on the roster.

I think we've all seen a lot of other teams have outstanding play from freshmen QB's. We've also had some success here with TF and T-Magic so if one of these guys, or Bunch can't produce reasonably well...then it's either coaching or simply too much to ask to learn this offense and run it well in year one. These kids are willing to learn and are working impressively hard. If all fail this year, I'll be surprised.

True but almost by default if we get any kind of blocking at all. It would have to be better QB play than last year.

I remember reading Voices from the Grandstand (?) in the 80s and it was 80% wanting him fired. Incredible.
Not in the 80’s. We played for 2 national championships. He also took over for a championship winning coach, and they wanted the winning to continue, especially over OU. Early 70’s, I believe.

Not in the 80’s. We played for 2 national championships. He also took over for a championship winning coach, and they wanted the winning to continue, especially over OU. Early 70’s, I believe.
It could have been 80 or 81. Prior to the triplets becoming a thing. At that point a lot of folks believed he would not be able to to regularly beat Oki. I remember a definite shift in attitudes after those 2 years (82 and 83)about TO. He came close enough those years that people developed patience. That was when I realized that NE fans did not have to win it every year. Just be in the discussion. Quite a few did start to lose patience again in 90 and 91 with those terrible bowl losses to the eventual champions. It was not because we lost but rather how we lost.

Last edited:

Most of these mags just look at what you did last year and whose coming back. Coming off a 4-8 record and a quarterback with zero experience will not draw rave reviews inspite of SF. But it’s whats done on the field that counts. GBR.

If whoever wins the job then throws 12 TDs and 24 ints...to later go on and play at an all conference caliber...that wont happen. If qb play is truly poor throughout the year it will mean that we dont have the QB of the future on the roster.

I guess I'll disagree with you a bit. Milton's stats at UCF his first year were pedestrian... 10TD, 7INT 57% completion and less than 6YPA. Then it clicked and he finished second in Heisman voting. I'm just thinking that there will be times that the QB will struggle this year. We will face some ridiculously talented defenses. On the other hand, maybe all we need is pedestrian... if the QB can just get the ball, in space, to our deeply talented receiver corps or a speedster RB, then maybe all we need is pedestrian. Regardless, I haven't been this excited for Husker football to start back up for I-don't-know-how-long.

I’m not sure what you are getting at but I think I disagree. An experienced QB running this offense returning would be better than our current situation. Year 1 of a new coach trumps any experience returning which is why expectations get tempered. Outsiders are right, lack of experience at quarterback is not a good thing.

Yes, a QB that was experienced in this offense and returning would be good. However, a returning QB that doesn't fit the offense is actually worse than being "forced" to play an inexperienced QB that fits.

Some of you guys are going to hate this but......our fans aren't using anymore rationality into their predictions than the computers, Vegas and the talking heads. Yes we are closer to the program and looking at the culture change. We are seeing improvements that they probably are not. But so many posters are acting like its automatic that Sf can accomplish this in the first year. Here are examples of lack of objectivity.

1. We have more talent than anyone in the West. Negative. We had higher rated classes than anyone in the West coming out of high school. We took an average of 3.7 recruits and developed them into 3.0 recruits. Many have lost a year or two in development. Other teams in the west having taken classes that are 3.2 and turned them into 3.9's. Can SF get this done in 9 months we don't know.

2. Our staff is so much better than any other in the West other than possibly Wisconsin. Yes we believe they have a higher ceiling. You cannot dismiss the length of time their staffs have had their players in the system.

3. Many of our fans are operating under the "entitlement" world. They think we just automatically beat Northwestern and Purdue because.......they are traditional nothing programs.

4. My favorite. We have more talent than 4-8. Better coaching will get us guaranteed 3-4 more wins. Has anyone stating that looked at the schedule to realize we aren't playing last years schedule? If we were than I might agree with that.

5. Computers only measure last years records and returning starters. Well that is pretty important. Its usually a good indicator.

The bottom line for me is SF is the best coach for what we need and I believe he will eventually get us there.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back