• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Cord cutting

Interesting. I assume you have to root it first? I can't imagine the app store allowing access to something that makes pirating so easy.
Doesn't appear to need the root. I've only installed the KODI app, but haven't added the plugins yet. I'm going to figure that out, but KODI has it's own browser, and you can point the KODI file explorer to an external drive, so you can side-load everything from a jump drive.

Doesn't appear to need the root. I've only installed the KODI app, but haven't added the plugins yet. I'm going to figure that out, but KODI has it's own browser, and you can point the KODI file explorer to an external drive, so you can side-load everything from a jump drive.

Well the one that you're probably looking for is called Covenant. I use a VPN when connecting to it, is that a thing you can do on the Xbox platform?

Well the one that you're probably looking for is called Covenant. I use a VPN when connecting to it, is that a thing you can do on the Xbox platform?
I'm looking at the PIA VPN right now. I don't know if that will work with the Xbox or not. Which do you use?

We've been threatening to do this since TWC (now Spectrum) bought out our local cable company a couple of years ago. Honestly, the only thing that's keeping me from cutting it completely is the loss of the BTN which I currently get with my cable subscription. Short of getting someone's logon info, is there any other way to get to the BTN without cable? Bonus, I do have the BTN app downloaded to my handhelds but when I try to activate it, it asks for a cable provider. Guess who has two thumbs and who's provider isn't listed even though its one of the biggest in America? This guy. I do have fiber to the house capability as ATT ran it in my neighborhood a year ago for a pilot in Louisville after Google just stopped their fiber initiative. I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet but when I do cut the cord, that's what I'll be going with for an ISP.

We've been threatening to do this since TWC (now Spectrum) bought out our local cable company a couple of years ago. Honestly, the only thing that's keeping me from cutting it completely is the loss of the BTN which I currently get with my cable subscription. Short of getting someone's logon info, is there any other way to get to the BTN without cable? Bonus, I do have the BTN app downloaded to my handhelds but when I try to activate it, it asks for a cable provider. Guess who has two thumbs and who's provider isn't listed even though its one of the biggest in America? This guy. I do have fiber to the house capability as ATT ran it in my neighborhood a year ago for a pilot in Louisville after Google just stopped their fiber initiative. I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet but when I do cut the cord, that's what I'll be going with for an ISP.

I ended up getting a really good deal from Direct Tv ($60 off a month for a year) but I was looking at Playstation Vue. That gets BTN and you don't need a Playstation to use it either.

That is very cool but I don't see MS allowing that to be available for dl from the store though since its Sony. I def won't go satellite, I have too many friends whom bitch about theirs every time the weather gets bad. I also have an aversion to smart TV's so that may shackle me a bit in this effort.

Last edited:
That is very cool but I don't see MS allowing that to be available for dl from the store though since its Sony. I def won't go satellite, I have too many friends whom bitch about theirs every time the weather gets bad. I also have an aversion to smart TV's so that may shackle me a bit in this effort.
A PS4 is fairly cheap these days and comes with a nice blu-ray player. Good luck with whatever you do.

We have had PSVue for 5 months now. Its not completely without irritation but not too bad. Beats DTV and their high price.

Sports is the main thing for me as we never watch shows as they air and many times watch them from downloaded streams.

I like PSVue for sports as it has the Big Ten network, all of the ESPN's and all of the Fox Sports channels. They don't have NBC and recently lost Fox but a $20 antenna allows me to get those in HD.

The wife misses Comedy Central but other than that, it gives us more than we need.

You can try Hulu Premium with Live. We are trying it out right now. It comes with the FS, ESPN and Big Ten Network as live TV, as well as local channels too.

A PS4 is fairly cheap these days and comes with a nice blu-ray player. Good luck with whatever you do.
Yeah, but I had planned to use my Xbox one as my media hub as I already have a lot of apps such as Amazon, Netflix, etc. installed on it and I hope to keep it that way. Thanks for the info, I need to do some more research as my time is running out. I told Ms. King that I would look into after the Bowl Season...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back