• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Consensus 4-star CB Chase Williams is N

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is all in hindsight, but things like this (2011 class) really show what a poor judge of talent and character our former coach was. It also shows how incorrect the ratings services can be at times. I trust MR's staff will have far fewer 4-star misses than our past coach, but only time will tell.

Agree. Mike Riley has long had a reputation for having a very good eye for talent. Having a former NFL GM like Billy Devaney head your scouting department and evaluate prospects film too, probably doesn't hurt.

Agree. Mike Riley has long had a reputation for having a very good eye for talent. Having a former NFL GM like Billy Devaney head your scouting department and evaluate prospects film too, probably doesn't hurt.
FWIW I just read somewhere that NU has 23 active players in the NFL & OSU has 21. With their history of little depth & poorly rated classes he sure turned out quite a few good players. I like what's taking shape here at NU.

I don't mean to be the wet blanket here... but go back to the 2011 class and we had an even better start than we are having for the 2018 class. 8 of our 10 commitments before fall camp were a four star (5.8+) or above. We finished with a 3.45 avg. star rating. Currently we are at 5 of our 8 commitments being a four star or better. We just aren't going to get a 3.63 average. Go look at last years final rankings and the teams that finished at or over that 3.63... Michigan barely did it.

all per Rivals
Some things to note about that class and specifically, the hot start. Out of the first 10 commits:

--2 4 STAR commits were legacy recruits (Moore and Green)

--2 4 STAR commits were Nebraskans

--1 4 STAR commit was going Major League Baseball all the way

Last edited:

Riley..."we're committed to winning the RIGHT WAY "...high character young men. Another great young man...surrounding this team with winners on and off the field.

I don't mean to be the wet blanket here... but go back to the 2011 class and we had an even better start than we are having for the 2018 class. 8 of our 10 commitments before fall camp were a four star (5.8+) or above. We finished with a 3.45 avg. star rating. Currently we are at 5 of our 8 commitments being a four star or better. We just aren't going to get a 3.63 average. Go look at last years final rankings and the teams that finished at or over that 3.63... Michigan barely did it.

all per Rivals
We'll see how it plays out. Win some games, sky is the limit. A few dudes can change the course. NU just has got to figure out how to win. Simple as that. Everything else is in place, and in most cases, better than anyone else.

Last edited:
Per twitter

So much for an August commitment :Biggrin:

Even though I already knew he was ours and even though I had already heard that he put up a good video.... THAT was powerful and I'm so glad I took the time to watch it. Really felt good to be the team he picked... for all the right reasons. Damn proud you picked us Chase, GBR

Even though I already knew he was ours and even though I had already heard that he put up a good video.... THAT was powerful and I'm so glad I took the time to watch it. Really felt good to be the team he picked... for all the right reasons. Damn proud you picked us Chase, GBR

I remember Nebraska never used to be the team picked when it comes to these commit videos/hat ceremonies etc.. that trend appears to be changing. :)

Another great pickup. The staff evaluates who they want, establish the relationship, and go close the deal.

The momentum being created continues to pick up steam, and the peer recruiting is going to help keep that momentum going.

Well done...who's next?

Agree. Even knowing the outcome there was some suspense! Seems like a good guy, and, I'm glad he chose NU. Hope his friends take notice.

We'll see how it plays out. Win some games, sky is the limit. A few dudes can change the course. NU just has got to figure out how to win. Simple as that. Everything else is in place, and in most cases, better than anyone else.

One thing to keep in mind... if we sign a PK, he will probably be a 2* or at best a 3* with the major services, no matter how good he is. So that will hurt the rating on paper.

I think a 3.5 composite average is realistic and doable. For a class of 20, that would basically mean 10 four-star and 10 three-star recruits. Or if we have 1 two-star recruit (such as a PK), then we would need 11 four-star and 8 three-star recruits to round out the class.

Some things to note about that class and specifically, the hot start. Out of the first 10 commits:

--2 4 STAR commits were legacy recruits (Moore and Green)

--2 4 STAR commits were Nebraskans

--1 4 STAR commit was going Major League Baseball all the way

The 2011 class was as big a bust as any Nebraska class in recent memory. 3-star Abdullah obviously proved to be the best player.

Of the 21 signees, only 5 managed to log more than 10 starts - Abdullah, D. Stafford, D. Davie, Z. Sterup and Ryne Reeves.

Of the 9 Rivals 4-star players, 1 didn't enroll (Starling), 4 transferred (Green, Klatchko, Peat and Moore), and 2 battled injuries (C. Jackson and J. Turner). Only Stafford and Reeves made an impact.

Last edited:

Another great pickup. The staff evaluates who they want, establish the relationship, and go close the deal.

The momentum being created continues to pick up steam, and the peer recruiting is going to help keep that momentum going.

Well done...who's next?
Oh, yeah, about who's next...let's go get some Moore's.

No doubt, but it is often pointed to as an example of how well Bo could recruit.

True. It was Bo's only top 20 class, although I think if you remove Starling (who was obviously never coming), it falls outside the top 20.

Fun recruiting fact of the day: although Bo and staff did recruit California (averaging just under 3 recruits per year from the Golden State) Riley has more 4-star recruits from California in the 2018 class than Bo recruited in his entire 7-year tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back