• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Conference Scoreboard heading into 2019

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Here's where we stand going into 2019. A couple of things I really want to see this year:

Maryland is a must-win. I don't ever want them to beat us. I like the idea of a conference team never notching a win against Nebraska. It can't last forever, but let's make it last as long as we can.

We have to beat Wisconsin. Whatever it takes. I'm barfing in my mouth knowing that when we entered the Big Ten we were 3-2 against the Badgers. We've dug a serious hole here and I'm hoping that the next 25 years shows a markedly different trend. 2019 is the year that starts.

Same goes for Iowa to a lesser extent. We've been 3-5 against them since joining the conference. That's not ideal, but it's not nearly the black eye that the Wisconsin series has become.

We have losing records against 4 Big Ten teams (OSU, Minnesota, Indiana and Wisconsin). Minnesota is going to take some time to even out, but a lot of that history comes from pre-1960. We can actually even up the Indiana series this year with a win.

Finally, Ohio State. A win here would be MASSIVE. We've beaten them once (Pelini's Big Ten home opener) and that took Joe Bauserman passing to the Der Weinerschlinger guy. Since then, they've kicked our butts routinely... except for last year with Frost. Here's hoping Year 2 of Frost and Year Nothing of No Urban Meyer yields a better result.

• Illinois 12-3-1 (streak: NU won last 3)
  • Ohio State 1-6 (streak: Buckeyes won last 4)
  • Northwestern 7-5 (streak: Wildcats won last 2)
  • Minnesota 25-32 (streak: NU won last 1)
  • Indiana 8-9-3 (streak: NU won last 5)
  • Purdue 4-3 (streak: Boilers won last 1)
  • Wisconsin 4-9 (streak: Badgers won last 6)
  • Maryland 1-0 (streak: NU won only game)
  • Iowa 29-17 (streak: Hawkeyes won last 4)

Here's where we stand going into 2019. A couple of things I really want to see this year:

Maryland is a must-win. I don't ever want them to beat us. I like the idea of a conference team never notching a win against Nebraska. It can't last forever, but let's make it last as long as we can.

We have to beat Wisconsin. Whatever it takes. I'm barfing in my mouth knowing that when we entered the Big Ten we were 3-2 against the Badgers. We've dug a serious hole here and I'm hoping that the next 25 years shows a markedly different trend. 2019 is the year that starts.

Same goes for Iowa to a lesser extent. We've been 3-5 against them since joining the conference. That's not ideal, but it's not nearly the black eye that the Wisconsin series has become.

We have losing records against 4 Big Ten teams (OSU, Minnesota, Indiana and Wisconsin). Minnesota is going to take some time to even out, but a lot of that history comes from pre-1960. We can actually even up the Indiana series this year with a win.

Finally, Ohio State. A win here would be MASSIVE. We've beaten them once (Pelini's Big Ten home opener) and that took Joe Bauserman passing to the Der Weinerschlinger guy. Since then, they've kicked our butts routinely... except for last year with Frost. Here's hoping Year 2 of Frost and Year Nothing of No Urban Meyer yields a better result.

• Illinois 12-3-1 (streak: NU won last 3)
  • Ohio State 1-6 (streak: Buckeyes won last 4)
  • Northwestern 7-5 (streak: Wildcats won last 2)
  • Minnesota 25-32 (streak: NU won last 1)
  • Indiana 8-9-3 (streak: NU won last 5)
  • Purdue 4-3 (streak: Boilers won last 1)
  • Wisconsin 4-9 (streak: Badgers won last 6)
  • Maryland 1-0 (streak: NU won only game)
  • Iowa 29-17 (streak: Hawkeyes won last 4)
Good post DTH.Thanks.

Minnesota 25-32 (streak: NU won last 1)

There were 2 ties in there, as well.

Minnesota is going to take some time to even out, but a lot of that history comes from pre-1960.

I checked it out and saw that we were 6-29-2 from 1900 thru 1959. Since then we went 19-3 with 16 straight wins from 1960 thru 2012. Only need 8 straight wins and we'll take the lead, which would make it 33-32-2. Doesn't seem too far fetched. :Biggrin:

hm

Last edited:

Another really good OP. Thank you Duck!
I love posts like this where some guy did the work that I'm too lazy to do so that I can see the things that I'd like to see. We need more of that.

7ca76c778a0e8a141faa1ef46b3144ce.jpeg

Based on comments made by the head man himself about the condition of the players and the less than desirable culture permeating the program he inherited leaves me with a boatload of caution going into this season.

I like to think that we can beat Illinois, Indiana and Maryland – even though two of those games are on the road – mostly because we have more talent.

But after that I just don’t know.

Without highly rated recruiting classes Fitzgerald has a knack for getting the most out of his players. That speaks to how well they are developing the guys they get to sign-on. For the most part Northwestern always give us all we can handle and I don’t see that changing this year. Last year’s loss still has me banging my head against the wall.

Brohm took a terrible program and had it playing respectable football in a relatively short period of time. I have a better feeling about our chances against Purdue (even with Rondale Moore) due to them losing a ton on offense to graduation, and the fact that we kind of killed ourselves with about every mistake you can make in the game last season.

Minnesota is a very young team that definitely was getting better as the season progressed in 2018. The game at their house this year will not be a gimme by any stretch. I really want to win that one simply because I think Fleck is kind of a wiener-head.

At this point in time I don’t think we are at a place where we can beat Ohio State, Wisconsin or Iowa. Need another year or two IMO.

Wisky will be what they are until Alvarez retires, IMO. He had a great knack for hiring FB coaches that play to Wisconsin's strengths as a program. None of them have tried to flip the culture. Recruit and develop a lot of local OL for predominately ground based attack. Speed for 3-4 defense. Serviceable QB.

The coach that left after 1 year that left for Oregon State may be the only outlier.

Wisconsin will need their own Steve Pederson, to help us out.

Based on comments made by the head man himself about the condition of the players and the less than desirable culture permeating the program he inherited leaves me with a boatload of caution going into this season.

I like to think that we can beat Illinois, Indiana and Maryland – even though two of those games are on the road – mostly because we have more talent.

But after that I just don’t know.

Without highly rated recruiting classes Fitzgerald has a knack for getting the most out of his players. That speaks to how well they are developing the guys they get to sign-on. For the most part Northwestern always give us all we can handle and I don’t see that changing this year. Last year’s loss still has me banging my head against the wall.

Brohm took a terrible program and had it playing respectable football in a relatively short period of time. I have a better feeling about our chances against Purdue (even with Rondale Moore) due to them losing a ton on offense to graduation, and the fact that we kind of killed ourselves with about every mistake you can make in the game last season.

Minnesota is a very young team that definitely was getting better as the season progressed in 2018. The game at their house this year will not be a gimme by any stretch. I really want to win that one simply because I think Fleck is kind of a wiener-head.

At this point in time I don’t think we are at a place where we can beat Ohio State, Wisconsin or Iowa. Need another year or two IMO.

I think this is our assumption, because, well we're NEBRASKA. However, the NFL draft yesterday tells us differently.

I think it was in an article by Dirk in last weeks OWH. I may be off a year or two.
During the period of 1981 to 1998, Nebraska had a 77-1 record vs Iowa st, Kansas , Kansas st, Missouri , Oklahoma st

I think it was in an article by Dirk in last weeks OWH. I may be off a year or two.
During the period of 1981 to 1998, Nebraska had a 77-1 record vs Iowa st, Kansas , Kansas st, Missouri , Oklahoma st

That doesn't surprise me.

Tom Osborne never lost a game to Kansas, KState or Okie State. Ever.

Tell me that when Nick Saban hits 25 years at Alabama, that he'll be spotless against THREE conference mates. So far he's never lost to 4 or 5 SEC schools, if memory serves, but he's also got 13 more seasons to drop a game before he can catch Osborne.

GOAT:to:

Last edited:
The B1G is so much more difficult than the lightweight Big 8. Many of those games were just physical mismatches.

That doesn't surprise me.

Tom Osborne never lost a game to Kansas, KState or Okie State. Ever.

Tell me that when Nick Saban hits 25 years at Alabama, that he'll be spotless against THREE conference mates. So far he's never lost to 4 or 5 SEC schools, if memory serves, but he's also got 13 more seasons to drop a game before he can catch Osborne.

GOAT:to:
I'm too lazy to look it up at this late hour, so I'm going to go off the top of my head, and I welcome corrections. So based on my late night memory, isn't this how Osborne stacked up against conference teams:
Kansas State= 25-0
Kansas = 25-0
Oklahoma State = 24-0-1
Missouri = 24-1
Iowa State = 23-2
Colorado = 21-3-1
Oklahoma = 13-13

Texas Tech = undefeated
Baylor = undefeated
Texas A&M = undefeated
Texas = 1-1​
I don't know what you want to do with the Texas schools that joined the Big 8 to make the Big 12 because he played against them before that, too, so I counted the win against Texas in the '74 Cotton Bowl because I didn't want to see an 0-1 mark against those SOBs.

These are the only corrections I saw:

Missouri - 21-4
Iowa State - 22-3

Other than that, your memory appears to be in very good shape.

These are the only corrections I saw:

Missouri - 21-4
Iowa State - 22-3

Other than that, your memory appears to be in very good shape.
So ... Missouri was a lot better in the 70s than what I assumed, and Iowa State won 2 games in the 70s.... Yeah, I'm okay with forgetting both of those. ;)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back