• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Conference Champions as automatic qualifiers.

I'm speaking more from a perception angle....it isn't fair. A 12-0 Baylor is just as good as a 12-0 oklahoma but in a voting situation OU would get in 100% of the time and Baylor probably less than 100. In which case them being automatically in via winning the conference eliminated that "off brand" disadvantage.

Hate the idea of 16 team...I mean I'd love the playoffs but I just think that is too many. 12 is probably my absolute max if I was king.

I must be misunderstanding your point here?

No way can you look at just W-L records and assume that teams with equal records are of equal quality or strength !

And an eight team play off should be as far as we go.

My thought of having it be the 5 P5 CCG winners plus 3 WC’s (the highest ranked teams from a committee that can’t include CCG losers serves many purposes. 1) everyone knows the criteria to get in...win your CCG. 2) every CCG is like a ‘play in round’ of the CFP making it more like a 16 team playoff. Yet the loser cannot make it to the CFP, that team at least could go to a bowl game to end their season, just like now.

By making the CCG loser ineligible to making the CFP, it makes some of those 2nd place Div teams of some really strong Conferences have more incentive to play well and it will probably amp up SOS as you’d want to be chosen as a WC.

I like this scenario because it makes everything very clear cut-win your Division and you have a shot to be in CFP by winning your CCG. CCG losing teams should have no gripe as they had their shot to be in CFP, but lost. So they don’t deserve a WC. Give another team a shot that is ranked highest of remaining teams.

I must be misunderstanding your point here?

No way can you look at just W-L records and assume that teams with equal records are of equal quality or strength !

And an eight team play off should be as far as we go.

They would basically play the same conference schedule. Obviously this is hypothetical because they'd actually play each other so one would have a loss...but play along. :)

So if they played a similar non con slate I contend that oklahoma would almost always be a shoe in for the playoffs. Baylor? Their overall schedule would garner more scrutiny, IMO, than OUs in the same situation...especially in a 4 team playoff.

I agree on you position that it should stop at 8 teams.

My thought of having it be the 5 P5 CCG winners plus 3 WC’s (the highest ranked teams from a committee that can’t include CCG losers serves many purposes. 1) everyone knows the criteria to get in...win your CCG. 2) every CCG is like a ‘play in round’ of the CFP making it more like a 16 team playoff. Yet the loser cannot make it to the CFP, that team at least could go to a bowl game to end their season, just like now.

By making the CCG loser ineligible to making the CFP, it makes some of those 2nd place Div teams of some really strong Conferences have more incentive to play well and it will probably amp up SOS as you’d want to be chosen as a WC.

I like this scenario because it makes everything very clear cut-win your Division and you have a shot to be in CFP by winning your CCG. CCG losing teams should have no gripe as they had their shot to be in CFP, but lost. So they don’t deserve a WC. Give another team a shot that is ranked highest of remaining teams.

I'm not sure why you would reward a conference champion for winning a weak conference when there are other higher ranked teams being left out. If for some fluke reason Northwestern upsets Michigan brain farted away 6 turnovers that wouldn't be fair. A 9-4 team would barely be ranked but automatically get in an 8 team playoff while a dozen teams ranked above them are left out. It seems everyone wants to reward conference champions a spot because of a piece of hardware that only represents PART of their season. So what if Northwestern wins a weak division in their conference and a conference championship game. They lost EVERY non-conference game they played. I can tell you the wheels would fall off the system no matter what people claim they knew about the criteria before hand.

Conference championship and the College Football playoff system are two separate entities and shouldn't be tied to each other unless conferences will let the NCAA do their scheduling for them like the NFL does.

I'm not sure why you would reward a conference champion for winning a weak conference when there are other higher ranked teams being left out.
I tend to agree. Five P5 teams, well, that automatically leaves one P5 team out. I have zero problem with 2 P5 teams being left out if a team is playing damn good, and they aren't part of that partisan group. ZERO Probs bud.

I tend to agree. Five P5 teams, well, that automatically leaves one P5 team out. I have zero problem with 2 P5 teams being left out if a team is playing damn good, and they aren't part of that partisan group. ZERO Probs bud.
Exactly. And if you want to expand to 8 then go ahead and get the best 8 in there. No reason to take teams that aren't in the top 8 just because they got a got a trophy somewhere else. Just because we are stupid enough to do it in Basketball doesn't mean we should repeat it in football. Especially with such a limited field.

12 and 16 is hardly worth talking about. That just isnt going to happen in the next 15-20 years.
I respectfully disagree. it is so much the right thing that we should all at least acknowledge its the right thing while we slowly progress towards it. Then we can go back to lobbying for 8 teams.

I will grant you that every year there is a 'best' team. we may not always agree on who it is, but there is a best team. So that means there are several CCG winners that are not the best team. So if we include the CCG winners we are not guaranteed to include the 'best' team.

This argument shifts slightly when you change the object from a 4 team playoff to an 8 or 16 team playoff.

Let me try and tell you some reasons why we should make CCG winner as the top criteria for any playoff. You can nitpick any of these, but I hope you see the totality makes it worth doing.
  1. Honor our past. Conferences are how we have always thought about the powers of college football.
  2. Keep everybody interested and involved. Dont omit whole conferences just because one conference has several perceived top5 calibur teams.
  3. Dont allow bias (or even percieved bias) to run the show. Dont name (insert team) as the best team and bend every other rule so they get the best chance at post season success.
  4. Allow a path for a cinderella team to make some noise. This is an admittedly anti purist position. Just remember that lots of folks like this possibility.
  5. If you only take CCG winners, you are guaranteed that teams who did not even win their conference will not get in over teams who did.
  6. A championship tournament is not about finding the 'best' team, its about a system with entry qualifiers and playing through the tournament to name a champion. I am not opposed to the best team winning, but they must gain entrance through the agreed upon system.
  7. I hate Bama. (smile)

To be fair, there are plenty of reasons to support why you'd want the Bamas of the world to be included even if a fluke keeps them from winning their conference. None of those reasons are more important than the need to include CCG winners.

I use the term CCG winner. However, I prefer that we dont even have CCGs. I prefer no CCG, and have somebody just pick the represetative from each conference. That does not solve the problem if three teams from one conference are deemed 'better' than any other team in the country. So this argument persists. Also, we know, with a 4 team play-off and 5 power conferences, some conference gets left out anyway.

So in conclusion I say - do the 8-team thing we all seem to agree on.

I'm not sure why you would reward a conference champion for winning a weak conference when there are other higher ranked teams being left out. If for some fluke reason Northwestern upsets Michigan brain farted away 6 turnovers that wouldn't be fair. A 9-4 team would barely be ranked but automatically get in an 8 team playoff while a dozen teams ranked above them are left out. It seems everyone wants to reward conference champions a spot because of a piece of hardware that only represents PART of their season. So what if Northwestern wins a weak division in their conference and a conference championship game. They lost EVERY non-conference game they played. I can tell you the wheels would fall off the system no matter what people claim they knew about the criteria before hand.

Conference championship and the College Football playoff system are two separate entities and shouldn't be tied to each other unless conferences will let the NCAA do their scheduling for them like the NFL does.
If Michigan loses to Northwestern in the CCG, then they wouldn't make the current 4 team CFP. So I don't understand your point. I would rather have the CCG winner, or whomever a Conference would like would pick as their rep to be in the CFP. I'd rather that, as much as possible, the CFP teams actually have to win their way into the CFP at the end of the season by winning their CCG. That makes for a great reg season.

The CFP already has changed their own guidelines as far as how they would choose 4 CFP participants by negating Conf Champions and just choosing whoever they deem the best, so both OSU and Alabama have made it by not winning their divisions and not even playing in their CCG's. It sounds like you would complain if an 8th seed beat a 1 seed because that would mean the 2 best teams wouldn't meet in the CFP Championship game. So it seems you prefer the old BCS system where the 2 "teams deemed best" just play a Championship game. That is not a playoff though.

My point was based on posters positions of automatic qualifiers for cfp games in the future going g to 8 teams

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back