• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

College football's 10 most-hyped teams for 2019 - Nebraska!

Bean

Grey Shirt
10 Year Member
https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...ege-football-hype-2019-127403521/#127403521_1

2018 record: 4-8

Why hype is high: The only team with a losing record inside our Top 10 Most-Hyped Teams list for 2019, Nebraska was one of college football's hottest programs exiting the 2018 season and seemed to gain its footing under first-year Scott Frost after a disappointing 0-6 start. The overtime loss at Northwestern, a game that seemingly slipped away late, was the turning point. Nebraska won four of its final six games, the setbacks coming by five points at Ohio State and three at Iowa. The Huskers, who return almost everyone of importance, are already garnering Top 20 love according to one Way-Too-Early ranking and have a somewhat favorable slate by Big Ten standards (projected two games vs. Top 25 teams).

Me Likey.
tenor.gif

It helps to have a great coach and a QB that probably would have been a 5 Star if he hadn't gotten hurt and sat out his Sr. HS season.

Martinez Named to Freshman All-America Team!
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211785757

"Nebraska quarterback Adrian Martinez was honored Monday as one of 32 players named to the Football Writers Association of America Freshman All-America Team. Martinez was one of two quarterbacks named to the team joining Clemson true freshman Trevor Lawrence. "

"Martinez’s selection marks the second straight year Nebraska has had a player on the FWAA Freshman All-America team. Last season, wide receiver JD Spielman was named to the team as a redshirt freshman." These two should be a good combination next year.

Last edited:

I'm not sure I'd use the word 'Hype' when describing my thoughts in regards to the 2019 Huskers. Excitement? Yes. Hype just seems like a falsehood and doesn't really fit IMO.

Well, yeah, it feels good to be mentioned in the national media again, but this feels uncomfortably familiar. As a long-time fan, I can remember too many seasons when we started out with high ratings and high expectations, only to flop. I'm not going to start celebrating until we actually see our defense play well enough to win some games. I suspect the players and coaches are probably just as skeptical and realize that they will have to prove it on the field.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, it feels good to be mentioned in the national media again, but this feels uncomfortably familiar. As a long-time fan, I can remember too many seasons when we started out with high ratings and high expectations, only to flop. I'm not going to start celebrating until we actually see our defense play well enough to win some games. I suspect the players and coaches are probably just as skeptical and realize that they will have to prove it on the field.

You do realize this is not a ranking. It is basically an admission that we are on the rise.

I also wouldn't say almost everyone of importance comes back. We lost some big shoes that need filling.
That’s an odd statement especially when there’s tangible stats to point at that it isn’t the case.

That said, Nebraska is a safe team to put on here. Coach everyone thinks highly of and a returning freshman all-American QB.

You do realize this is not a ranking. It is basically an admission that we are on the rise.

Oh, excuse me. I thought that the article cited "way too early rankings". I must have read it wrong. lol

Actually, I'm not just referring to rankings, I'm referring to the build-up of high expectations that is already starting. This isn't good for the fans or the team.

Last edited:
Oh, excuse me. I thought that the article cited "way too early rankings". I must have read it wrong. lol

Actually, I'm not just referring to rankings, I'm referring to the build-up of high expectations that is already starting. This isn't good for the fans or the team.
Fair enough. :thumbsup:

I really like the recognition that NU is on the rise and agree we are, even after a 4-8 season. But, I [like others] was really excited before this last season started, thinking that HCSF and Company had the ability to come in and turn this program around in the W - L column in his first year. That turned out to be wrong, for several reasons.
The same COULD be true this August. We really should win more games next season but it may not be in the way or fashion we once new NU football to be. I want us to be dominant like we were in the 90s but that may never happen if our recruiting and conditioning doesn't improve to like it was in TOs days. It is a fact that we must sign top level players [4-5 stars] at key positions and improve our conditioning and coaching so that our Walk-ons and 3 star athletes have the chance to perform at the all conference/All American levels.
Our QB [Martinez] is a good example on how signing a 4-5 star athlete [at key positions] improves the ability of the entire team!
There are exceptions to this but we shouldn't hope we're going to be the exception and instead plan, strive, work to be a top 5 team.

Just MHO.

Last edited:

That’s an odd statement especially when there’s tangible stats to point at that it isn’t the case.

That said, Nebraska is a safe team to put on here. Coach everyone thinks highly of and a returning freshman all-American QB.
We lost 2000 yards with two players alone. JDS may pick up one side of that but who gets the rest? Then of course we have his slot to replace. Ziggy is gone and I don't see where we replace him at this time. Mills is really iffy at this time.

I think it is good for the team. It may give them more fire to see that media thinks they are good.

I'm not worried about NU being able to score points next season. Yes we lost Stan and Ziggy but there still plenty of playmakers over there. They thing to watch is defense. If they make the same kind of improvement statistically from 2018 to 2019 as they did from 2017 to 2018, you'll probably see our regular season record flip to 8-4. If they make a bigger improvement than that, the Huskers will win the West.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back