• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Coaches Poll Out (Huskers drop a spot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

We knew Okie State would move up to at least #3 -- especially with VaTech losing and Stanford not playing. But we didn't know if they'd move to #2 or #3. Look, if the Harris Poll also has Alabama #2 and Okie State #3, that's 2/3 of the equation -- and Okie State would be required to have a substantial advantage in the computers to overtake that -- and considering the computers also had Alabama #2 last week, it's hard to imagine they'd fall much.

I don't know how OSU could end up #3 in the Coaches, #3 in the Harris, and even #2 in the computers -- and overtake Alabama in the BCS -- regardless of the points. They need to move up to #2 in the Harris and/or have Alabama drop in the computers. Yes, Okie State is still alive at this point -- but also AT THIS POINT, Alabama would be in. Something is going to have to change in the other two components.

The poll last week had a margin for Alabama of .9566 to .8411 for an advantage of .1155. That has dropped all the way to .94847 to .92678 for an advantage of only 0.02169.

Here are the two scenarios:

1) OSU comes out ahead of Bama in the Harris by a margin of 0.02169 or better and one computer poll flips in their favor.
2) get a 3rd place vote in Harris and have 2 computer polls flip in their favor.

Sagarin has already held for Bama, so there are three polls left for OSU to try to flip. Sagarin is a mess. The top 8 are all Big 12 or SEC. No one else would have had a chance. Anyone other than SEC or Big 12 could have been #2 in both polls and would have been shut out. Stanford could have been #1 in both polls and been shut out of the game. Is this the type of rating you want for selection.

1. LSU
2. Alabama
3. OSU
4. Arkansas
5. KSU
6. Oklahoma
7. Baylor
8. South Carolina
9. Oregon
10. Stanford
11. Georgia

13. Texas
15. Auburn
16. Missouri

Wisconsin is 20th.

Last edited:
Under this very flawed and biased system....that is not always true.....

And that is the problem with the BCS....

Go and check who Alabama beat this year....only three of their opponents had a better than .500 record.....on the other hand seven of OSu's did....yet the 'voters' put Alabama ahead of OSu....problem is the system is not working this year....and honestly Stanford also has a gripe....

Bama is getting the nod from the 'voters' because of the preception of the SEC being so tough...and that is wrong....

Have a playoff and it would be decided on the field.....

Hard to defend this system this year and say it got it right....if OSu gets in then Bama has a real grip and vica versa....

Seems like OSu should be selected....right?

Who is really the BEST one loss team? We will never know under this system...and if Nebraska was left out I think the howl around here would be deafening....

They have no one to blame but themselves. Win and you're in. It's about as simple as it gets.

Last edited:
Thanks for that...the whole BCS is a mess and this whole thing is just proving it....

The poll last week had a margin for Alabama of .9566 to .8411 for an advantage of .1155. That has dropped all the way to .94847 to .92678 for an advantage of only 0.02169.

Here are the two scenarios:

1) OSU comes out ahead of Bama in the Harris by a margin of 0.02169 or better and one computer poll flips in their favor.
2) get a 3rd place vote in Harris and have 2 computer polls flip in their favor.

Sagarin has already held for Bama, so there are three polls left for OSU to try to flip. Sagarin is a mess. The top 8 are all Big 12 or SEC. No one else would have had a chance. Anyone other than SEC or Big 12 could have been #2 in both polls and would have been shut out. Stanford could have been #1 in both polls and been shut out of the game. Is this the type of rating you want for selection.

1. LSU
2. Alabama
3. OSU
4. Arkansas
5. KSU
6. Oklahoma
7. Baylor
8. South Carolina
9. Oregon
10. Stanford
11. Georgia

13. Texas
15. Auburn
16. Missouri

Wisconsin is 20th.

My point was the higher the better...less ground to make up....it can matter.....

It doesnt matter, i agree with huksrthill !!! Win out and your playing the NCG.

Its more about WHEN you loss. Lose early , you can make up ground, loss late, not so much.

It does matter...more ground to make up can hurt you in the long run....

It doesnt matter, i agree with huksrthill !!! Win out and your playing the NCG.

Its more about WHEN you loss. Lose early , you can make up ground, loss late, not so much.

Last edited:

Go and check who Alabama beat this year....only three of their opponents had a better than .500 record.....on the other hand seven of OSu's did....yet the 'voters' put Alabama ahead of OSu....problem is the system is not working this year....and honestly Stanford also has a gripe....

Hard to defend this system this year and say it got it right....if OSu gets in then Bama has a real grip and vica versa....

Seems like OSu shoudl be selected....right?

Who is really the BEST oen loss team? We wil lnever know under this system...and if Nebraska was left out I think the howl aroudn here would be deafening....

All of those teams can complain at the top of their lungs, but if any one of them had gone undefeated they would be facing LSU for the national championship. They put themselves in the position to be at the mercy of the polls.

Like I said, it's as simple as can be: Win and you're in.

You think Oklahoma State should be in? Simple - don't lose to ISU. Shouldn't be too hard for a team claiming to be deserving of a title game.

Bama is getting the nod from the 'voters' because of the preception of the SEC being so tough...and that is wrong....

Seems like OSu should be selected....right?

Who is really the BEST one loss team? We will never know under this system...and if Nebraska was left out I think the howl around here would be deafening....

You make some good points RR, none better then "Alabama getting the nod from the voters on the perception of the SEC being so tough".

Look the BCS does not work...and I think you know that and the fallout from this will perhaps help sink it.....

Bottom line is tell me how you pick Alabama over OSU?? That is what is being discussed here.....and the system is going to fail this year....thats a fact and piss allot fo people off....more folks will jump on the playoff bandwagon....

I respect you....but you what I'm saying...even you are not defending this with your usual vigor....because you really can't.....

FWIW, what if 3 BCS AQ teams go undefeated? So no your not in if you win out....if 3 teams go undefeated it could happen....then whats the excuse? Tweak the system again?

All of those teams can complain at the top of their lungs, but if any one of them had gone undefeated they would be facing LSU for the national championship. They put themselves in the position to be at the mercy of the polls.

You think Oklahoma State should be in? Simple - don't lose to ISU. Shouldn't be too hard for a team claiming to be deserving of a title game.

Frankly MJ I think that is carrying 'Bama right now in the polls....look at their body of work....only 3 teams they beat had .500 or better records...makes you go hmmmm.....

You make some good points RR, none better then "Alabama getting the nod from the voters on the perception of the SEC being so tough".

You keep saying that. But, the real question here is, when multiple teams don't live up to that, how should the determination be made for who plays in the game?

Well yeah because you like it....but its a mess this year....and has been all along...and yeah I hate it...it sucks.....

My question again...what happens next year if 3 teams go undefeated? Who gets in? What if Nebraska gets left out yet are 12/13-0....and they take an undefeated LSU vs and undefeated Oklahoma....are you okay with that? We did everything we should....you said win out and we are in....but we are left out....and it could happen...we both know that....

I don't think it's a mess at all.

Last edited:
Bingo...I just posed that question to him...three BCS AQ teams go undefeated....one gets left out....and it could happen....

And yeah if we only have one undefeated team and three one loss teams who gets left out? The system is very flawed and it is not fair nor does it work when you have this sort of situation....

You keep saying that. But, the real question here is, when multiple teams don't live up to that, how should the determination be made for who plays in the game?

Bingo...I just posed that question to him...three BCS AQ teams go undefeated....one gets left out....and it could happen....

And yeah if we only have one undefeated team and three one loss teams who gets left out? The system is very flawed and it is not fair nor does it work when you have this sort of situation....

I have to admit, I don't hate the BCS as much as you do. Because, I think part of its magic is that it creates debates like this that keep people interested. But, I can see where you are coming from...

And, on the other hand, I'm not strongly against a playoff either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back