• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Walters talks offense & QB development

Status
Not open for further replies.
How exactly can someone interpret recruiting rankings in a way that can in any way measure how close a guy is to being classified as another type of player? Is there something out there that says player X is a pro-style passer, but if he had run for 50 more yards as a senior, we would rate him as a DT QB??
Go look at POB junior year stats. They have been posted many times and they are easy to find in Google searches. Suffice to say he ran a lot. Senior season they switched to pro style and he did not run as much.

Go look at POB junior year stats. They have been posted many times and they are easy to find in Google searches. Suffice to say he ran a lot. Senior season they switched to pro style and he did not run as much.

That's high school. We have seen him run at the high-speed FBS level. IMO, at that level he becomes a lumberer. SF would not have recruited him. He'd make a decent game manager in a pro-style offense. He can be a ball distributer in SF's offense. If he can effectively get the ball to the play-makers out in space, he can be valuable.

Bottom line: Walters wants to maximize the stress he puts on defenses. He wants a QB who can hurt a defense with the run. Martinez can dance and run better than POB, and I would argue that Gibbia and Bunch can as well. POB can run for some yards. He is a big strong guy, but he has little ability to escape a pass rush and probably less ability to run the option.

Walters wants a QB with quick, happy feet that can stress a defense. This is the QB SF recruited and used at UCF and POB doesn't look anything like him....

Last edited:
That's high school. We have seen him run at the high-speed FBS level. IMO, at that level he becomes a lumberer. SF would not have recruited him. He'd make a decent game manager in a pro-style offense. He can be a ball distributer in SF's offense. If he can effectively get the ball to the play-makers out in space, he can be valuable.

Bottom line: Walters wants to maximize the stress he puts on defenses. He wants a QB who can hurt a defense with the run. Martinez can dance and run better than POB, and I would argue that Gibbia and Bunch can as well. POB can run for some yards. He is a big strong guy, but he has little ability to escape a pass rush and probably less ability to run the option.

Walters wants a QB with quick, happy feet that can stress a defense. This is the QB SF recruited and used at UCF and POB doesn't look anything like him....

You mean his 14 carries behind an acknowledged sub par line when he was running for his life? You do realize that those highschool carries were against some of the highest levels of competition available in highschool.

You mean his 14 carries behind an acknowledged sub par line when he was running for his life? You do realize that those highschool carries were against some of the highest levels of competition available in highschool.

Obviously you are impressed with POB. So spill it to us. Where do you think POB will be on the depth chart after spring ball or in September?

Obviously you are impressed with POB. So spill it to us. Where do you think POB will be on the depth chart after spring ball or in September?
I am just tired of people dismissing him before he has had a chance. Yet everyone thinks Gebbia who has NO history of running is given the benefit of the doubt.

I am just tired of people dismissing him before he has had a chance. Yet everyone thinks Gebbia who has NO history of running is given the benefit of the doubt.

Don't worry. POB will get his chance. Now tell us, where do you think he will be on the depth chart after spring ball or in September?

As you do your assessment, it would be best not to dismiss POB's competition...Martinez, Gebbia, and Bunch.

POB has QB talent. I am sure he can run SF's offense, but I think Martinez, Gebbia, and Bunch have the natural abilities to run it better. That is just my opinion.

In the end, it is Coach Verduzco's opinion that counts.

Bottom line: This is what SF is looking for

marcus-mariota-ncaa-football-michigan-state-oregon.jpg

Does POB in any way remind you Marcus Mariota?

Now look at Andrew Bunch. Doesn't he at least remind you of Monte Christo?

1998-game-3-photo.jpg

Last edited:
Don't worry. POB will get his chance. Now tell us, where do you think he will be on the depth chart after spring ball or in September?

As you do your assessment, it would be best not to dismiss POB's competition...Martinez, Gebbia, and Bunch.

POB has QB talent. I am sure he can run SF's offense, but I think Martinez, Gebbia, and Bunch have the natural abilities to run it better. That is just my opinion.

In the end, it is Coach Verduzco's opinion that counts.
1. I do not make predictions like that as it is a fools errand. Not surprised at those who do.
2. Where and when did i ever dismiss anyone? Playing a little fast and loose with the truth in your desire to start another juvenile argument.
3. Not taking the bait.

The old star ranking argument. I can trump that. Regardless of star rankings, SF would not have recruited any of the QBs he inherited at UCF in 2016 and none of the QBs he inherited at NU for 2018. That makes the two situations very much alike.

Yesterday Stanley Jackson of the BTN (a former QB) commented on the Huskers chances of winning the Big West. He said they have a chance if they can find a QB. He suggested that SF try to find an experienced grad transfer this summer. For some odd reason he did not mention any of the QB star rankings you mentioned.

At this point nobody knows what our 2018 QB situation is. None of our available QBs (Vedral ineligible) have played a CF game in SF''s offense. But we do know this: Just like at UCF in 2016, SF has only one (available) QB on his roster that he recruited, and in both cases, that QB is a true freshman.

That makes the situations alike. One could argue that SF's QB situation at UCF in 2016 was better because he had a returning starter.

I'm not sure what is more ignorant-what Stanley Jackson said or quoting it like it should mean something.

You can continue to espouse this theory that UCF had a QB room identical to the one with guys who had offers from Alabama, Miami, and many other perennial winners in order to prop up your man crush when he succeeds. I, however, am willing to acknowledge there is more talent in the NU QB room than there was at UCF at the same time a couple years ago. It's really not debatable given any measure of talent, but troll on brother.

You can continue to espouse this theory that UCF had a QB room identical to the one with guys who had offers from Alabama, Miami, and many other perennial winners in order to prop up your man crush when he succeeds.

No my theory is that UCF's 2016 QB room and NU's QB room parallel each other because both are occupied by Pro-style QBs not dual threat QBs...other than a frosh recruit for both teams.

And you cannot deny that.

A 4 star pro-style QB does not fit SF's offense any better than a 2 star pro style QB. Neither one fits.

Last edited:
it is a fools errand

I'm gonna stop you right there. You are in a heavily edited Paramus thread. What were you expecting?

No my theory is that UCF's 2016 QB room and NU's QB room parallel each other because both are occupied by Pro-style QBs not dual threat QBs...other than a frosh recruit for both teams.

And you cannot deny that.

A 4 star pro-style QB does not fit SF's offense any better than a 2 star pro style QB. Neither one fits.

Why do you poo poo the star ranking from the services, yet then rely on the labels they give players? A pro style QB who can run designed QB runs 4-7 times per game could certainly work. Nick Saban wasn't offering guys to come down there and be statues.

I'm curious, who is the graduate transfer that Jackson suggested as a better fit for the program, or was he just playing loose with facts and just tossing crap at a wall because he had no idea what the hell he was talking about?

A pro style QB who can run designed QB runs 4-7 times per game could certainly work.?

Sure, POB can be the 4* pro-style guy to run run SF's offense. You can even label him as a 5* if you want. But he wouldn't see the field if the 2* dual-threat QB McKenzie Milton was on our roster.

Get my drift?

Its not about having the right number of stars, its about having the right fit. If POB's 4* pro-style skills aren't the right fit, what good are they?

SF inherited a lot of 3* pro-style QB skills at UCF, but they looked awkward in his offense. Fortunately Milton changed that.

Last edited:
Sure, POB can be the 4* pro-style guy to run run SF's offense. You can even label him as a 5* if you want. But he wouldn't see the field if the 2/3* dual-threat QB McKenzie Milton was on our roster.

Get my drift?

its not about having the right number of stars, its about having the right fit. If POB's 4* pro-style skills aren't the right fit, what good are they?

SF inherited a lot of 3* pro-style QB skills at UCF, but they looked awkward in his offense. Fortunately Milton changed that.

You of course, don't know any of this for a fact. But back to your claims from earlier who is this graduate transfer that Nebraska should go after? Who is this person Who Will Win us the Big 10 West?

Other than your first paragraph which seems to contradict your next two. What is your point? In the second and 3rd paragraph you do not really disagree with anything I said.

Lol, yeah, that could have been stated more clearly. The point I was attempting to make was that I'm not sure recruiting rankings capture the qualities needed by QB's to be successful in the system we will be running. My old English prof would have written "awkward" on that paragraph. :Lol:

Last edited:

It's not our opinions that matter on this deal, it's the coaches, and most importantly, the players. We are just random internet people with fake names and avatars that have no real influence on anything.

If POB believes he can be the guy and he devotes everything in his being to achieve that, he may well get there. If he does, good for Nebraska, because he will have beaten out some other guys that us random internet dudes think have characteristics more classic for what we know to be a true dual threat guy.

But it's all just opinion here. You get to have yours and others get theirs. GBR :Huskerflag:

I have no problem with his stats....i was just asking how someone can substantiate a claim of "he was almost rated a DT QB", unless they actually do the rankings or work for someone who does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back