• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Walters talks offense & QB development

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, POB looks mechanical and rehearsed. Point guards need to be spontaneous, quick-thinking, and innovative.

He looks that way to me too, but as SF and staff have stated repeatedly, we don’t know what he was being asked to do. To the extent he had to think constantly about what he was doing, he was constrained in what he could do.

He looks that way to me too, but as SF and staff have stated repeatedly, we don’t know what he was being asked to do. To the extent he had to think constantly about what he was doing, he was constrained in what he could do.

Is it possible that Shawn Eichorst was micro-managing POB?

:Sarcastic:

Yes, the coaches have said that they will not look at film to evaluate the players. They will put them through drills this spring and that is where the evaluations will start. Everyone will have an equal opportunity to compete for a starting position. I am confident the coaches will do their best to bring out the full potential of each player. Hopefully each player will do his best to accept the training. Player buy-in is a good thing.

Last edited:

Nice post. The "point guard" reference hits the nail on the head.

Certainly Martinez has the "point guard" skills. From last year's spring game, I'd say Gebbia has them as well. I think one or the other will start this fall. I see Bunch as having more "point guard" skills than POB. I think POB will be no better than tied with Bunch for 3rd string after the spring practice depth chart is published.

I believe we recruited an "athlete" that could get a look at QB, so there may be another QB prospect in the mix.

Which QB can process large amounts of info the best? Obviously Gebbia will be hard to beat in that regard. They say he is a gym rat and a film room junkie.

QBs hold the most important positon on any team, so it will be a much discussed topic between now and our first game. Steve Sipple brought the topic to light. I thought it was a very good article.
Bunch could be a big surprise. Accuracy will be a major factor.

Would love to hear you tell us what the great differences are.

You need me to explain to you how 2016 UCF:

2* starter
Leading preseason backup was 2015 WR
Added 3* JUCO and 3* HS kid

is not identical to:

returning 2 4* QBs, adding a 3rd, bringing Vedral in, Masker as a walk on, etc.

Seems like those situations aren't nearly identical, but whatever.

I don't care about your personal problems or love affairs.

C
giphy.gif

I don't care about your personal problems or love affairs.

C

Then why do you follow and examine every move I make? What's the attraction for you? Is it an overwhelming desire to become my mother in law?

"Solesrfr, I'm not interested in playing with you, so please stop following me. Isn't there a bone or a chew toy waiting for you somewhere?"

puppydan.png

Last edited:
You need me to explain to you how 2016 UCF:

2* starter
Leading preseason backup was 2015 WR
Added 3* JUCO and 3* HS kid

is not identical to:

returning 2 4* QBs, adding a 3rd, bringing Vedral in, Masker as a walk on, etc.

Seems like those situations aren't nearly identical, but whatever.

The old star ranking argument. I can trump that. Regardless of star rankings, SF would not have recruited any of the QBs he inherited at UCF in 2016 and none of the QBs he inherited at NU for 2018. That makes the two situations very much alike.

Yesterday Stanley Jackson of the BTN (a former QB) commented on the Huskers chances of winning the Big West. He said they have a chance if they can find a QB. He suggested that SF try to find an experienced grad transfer this summer. For some odd reason he did not mention any of the QB star rankings you mentioned.

At this point nobody knows what our 2018 QB situation is. None of our available QBs (Vedral ineligible) have played a CF game in SF''s offense. But we do know this: Just like at UCF in 2016, SF has only one (available) QB on his roster that he recruited, and in both cases, that QB is a true freshman.

That makes the situations alike. One could argue that SF's QB situation at UCF in 2016 was better because he had a returning starter.

Last edited:

More highly rated as pure passers, maybe. Certainly Tanner Lee was a great pure passer, though he really thrived without a pass rush and with as much time as he needed - under THOSE conditions, he beat out the other two.

Coach Verduzco has stressed many times that our starting qb will be tough, be able to run, AND capable of processing large amounts of information very quickly. Basically, possessing a “point guard” mentality in a fast break offense.

It’s hard to judge any of our QB candidates on that last factor, not having seen them in action. But based on existing comments, Martinez has the qualities the coaches seek. I think Gebbia might. Vedral does but he’s redshirted for 2018.

The only ratings that matter to me are the ones by our coaches since they require a different animal than the “Eli Manning” clone that Langsdorf sought.
Other than your first paragraph which seems to contradict your next two. What is your point? In the second and 3rd paragraph you do not really disagree with anything I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back