• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Hoiberg Introductory Press Conference 4-2-19

Until the press conference, here's an article to find out more about Hoiberg from reporters (Tommy Birch of the Des Moines Register, Travis Hines of The Ames Tribune, and Alex Gookin formerly of The Iowa State Daily) who covered Iowa State while Hoiberg was coaching there.

Hail Varsity article link...
HV: Safe to call Hoiberg’s time at Iowa State an unprecedented success?
TB: Just that Iowa State did things it hadn’t done in a long, long time. It was a program that had kind of fallen on some tough times. It hadn’t had success in a while. I think the fanbase was kind of frustrated. I don’t want to say giving up, but growing frustrated, and Fred not only re-energized the fanbase but brought success that hadn’t been seen there in a long, long time.

TH: Yeah, because of all the winning. Fred Hoiberg took Iowa State to four-straight NCAA tournaments, something it had never done before. He won back-to-back Big 12 tournaments when the Cyclones had just two of those prior to his arrival. His persona, success and style of play made Iowa State a national brand. It was the best stretch of basketball in program history.

AG: I think you could argue that no one has been more successful than Fred Hoiberg at Iowa State. Orr, Eustachy, and Floyd all had their own successes, but Fred uniquely had to rebuild that program coming off four consecutive losing seasons, and he did it fast. People sometimes forget Fred was only at Iowa State for five seasons because he was so instantly successful that it felt like his tenure was longer.

Been reading some Mich forums, they are not impressed. Think NU wasted a ton of money on a guy who "doesnt like to recruit."

Been reading some Mich forums, they are not impressed. Think NU wasted a ton of money on a guy who "doesnt like to recruit."
What's posted below is something I cam across yesterday and posted in another thread. The bold puts not liking recruiting into perspective...

LJS article link...
First, forget Hoiberg's now-infamous line from a couple years ago about "(expletive) hating recruiting.

There were a lot of things I didn’t like about recruiting and a lot of things that sometimes are out of your control when you’re recruiting,” Hoiberg told the Ames Tribune in February. “The things I did enjoy about recruiting were building relationships with the kid and building a relationship with the family. I liked that a lot. I felt like I was pretty good at it. We had some really high-level players here (at ISU) as transfers and also as four-year guys."

Iowa State did take in 14 transfers during Hoiberg's five years in Ames. It became a calling card of sorts for the Cyclones, who infused players such as Royce White, Chris Babb, Korie Lucious, Abdel Nader and others into existing ISU rosters and turned the conglomeration into a cohesive unit.

But while Hoiberg became known for using transfers to build out his Iowa State rosters, he and his staff's work in getting prep players to Ames resulted in some of the most decorated players in Cyclones history.

Start with forward Georges Niang, who played four years for the Cyclones and scored 2,228 career points, the second-most ever at Iowa State. Niang is in his third season with the Utah Jazz. His 6-foot-8, 230-pound frame is nearly identical to current Nebraska forward Isaiah Roby.

Another four-year forward, Melvin Ejim, scored more than 1,600 points in four seasons under Hoiberg, and is second on Iowa State's all-time rebounding list.

And guard Monte Morris is considered one of the best players in ISU history: more than 1,700 career points and a 4.65 career assist-to-turnover ratio that is the best in NCAA history. Morris has four of the top seven single-season assist-to-turnover ratios that have been recorded by the NCAA (since 2008).

If basketball coach doesn't work out, he could be the next stadium announcer at Memorial Stadium....

dont-you-put-that-evil-on-me-gif-10.gif

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back