• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Class of 2014 - 2 spots left

my point is more that the 'arena' aspect is pretty well down the list.

1. win. that brings excited fans no matter where you play.

2. consistency. i wonder if some see what nu did as an anomoly.

3. proven 'system'. sorry to bring the jays into it but most recent recruits have made a big deal of wanting to play in cu's system and how it fits their game. that takes a little time to show recruits and their coaches.

4. miles' longevity. i wonder if other coaches try to imply 'oh...that guy will leave nu as soon as he gets a chance'

i am not critiquing miles here. i just never believed all the poster hype that kids will see pinnacle and start begging to sign on the dotted line.

Was there really a lot of that hype? I could have missed it, but I don't recall seeing many posters saying that we would suddenly have the pick of the litter just due to an arena. I mean, I agree completely with you, Bils, on your points; I just don't think there were a groundswell of posters claiming otherwise. Recruiting upper level players here will continue to be a challenge, despite the improved facilities. But we at least have a better chance than the 15 years before they came on board.

Was there really a lot of that hype? I could have missed it, but I don't recall seeing many posters saying that we would suddenly have the pick of the litter just due to an arena. I mean, I agree completely with you, Bils, on your points; I just don't think there were a groundswell of posters claiming otherwise. Recruiting upper level players here will continue to be a challenge, despite the improved facilities. But we at least have a better chance than the 15 years before they came on board.

I wouldn't call it a groundswell...I mean this board was a ghost town up until late feb. but there was definitely talk of how the arena, the fans, etc. were going to wow recruits and "why would someone go there when they can come here with this arena and fans", etc. Hell, former posters practically blamed the devaney center for the failures of Collier and Sadler.

I wouldn't call it a groundswell...I mean this board was a ghost town up until late feb. but there was definitely talk of how the arena, the fans, etc. were going to wow recruits and "why would someone go there when they can come here with this arena and fans", etc. Hell, former posters practically blamed the devaney center for the failures of Collier and Sadler.

Failures of past and current regimes will always have people on this board throwing out excuses...in every sport. I think the arena/facilities is a good tie breaker in a recruits eyes but its certainly not going to make a 5* even glance our way. Winning does that. Winning consistently, not just having a great season. I think if the Huskers can have a strong showing all season in '14-'15 then recruits will take notice. If we struggle early again or take a step backwards, they will be pessimistic about the future.

The new arena certainly helped, and I think was necessary barring getting some dream coach we actually could never get, but that doesn't mean it is sufficient.

There remains work ahead. I still don't think this is going to be a straight line path upward to the national championship.

Sounding pretty good with Gregory, but do we take him and the Kansas transfer?

I have no reason to feel this way but Gregory just seems like there is some issue we don't know about. No ratings and late in the process. It just seems weird to me. I admit, I don't know as much about recruiting as many do on here but it seems suspicious to me. Hope I am wrong. Obviously, like any recruitment of a player, we have to put trust in the coaching staffs to make the right decisions.

Any word on how Gregory's visit went? Does he have an official offer?

His visit went real well, I think he got to play ball with some of our guys in front of our coaches. But I don't believe we offered, which makes me think we don't want the Kansas transfer and him? But the Kansas transfer is in no hurry from what I heard...

***, are you aware of any more visitors? With signing day over, are we waiting for others to announce they are transferring? I saw UNLV had another "transfer", just like you said they would.

***, are you aware of any more visitors? With signing day over, are we waiting for others to announce they are transferring? I saw UNLV had another "transfer", just like you said they would.

I think there are a few more transfers that are going to come out. And obviously the kid from Kansas is a guy we are working real hard on. To be honest, we have 7 or 8 guys that are going to play extensive minutes this upcoming season in Ayegba, Smith, Pitchford, Rivers, Pettaway, Shields, Parker, Webster. That doesn't include what we decide to do with Hammond and Smith, and a guy coming off his redshrit like Fuller. We actually are sitting pretty good for this year if we can find someone to be a spot up shooter, and honestly i've heard we like what we see out of Fuller.

I would not be surprised to see us take two D1 transfers and get ready for the possible void left by Pettaway/Pitchford and stock pile some guys. White from Kansas is one and there will be others. We have to fill at least one of these, but we are going to try and take 2 guys and at this point unless Gregory we end up offering, they will end up being transfers that most likely have to sit out a year...

I won't say our coaches are in panic mode, but they have 2 scholarships and really are at the mercy of when kids are going to decide on things. White, the Kansas transfer, probably won't make a decision until the end of June at the earliest and we are holding a spot for him. What if he chooses someone else? They are combing for other transfers and basically trying to gauge interest, but what if no one is interested? They aren't panicking at all, they are just at the mercy of these kids timelines. I will say though, I think they screwed up with the Deng Deng situation. They did what every other team that was recruiting him did, and that is when he got injured back off him and see how it heals. If we would have stayed on him and told him we don't care come to Nebraska, the exact opposite of what other teams did, he would have been ours in my opinion. We basically didn't separate ourselves from the pack where we could have, but you also have to make sure he is going to be healthy.

This will get interesting the next couple months...

Last edited:
I agree with ***, our 2 deep is as good as I can remember it being in a long time. We don't HAVE TO get an immediate impact guy. We do need to be stocking the cupboard. If the most talented guys available are transfers, then thats who we need to be looking at with these 2014 scholarships. Other schools have shown that a regular allotment of high end transfers can build you a very good program. That said, we are in on some 2015 traditional recruits that look to be special. At this point Miles has done nothing to make me doubt his judgement, I'm confident he will do whats best.

I agree with ***, our 2 deep is as good as I can remember it being in a long time. We don't HAVE TO get an immediate impact guy. We do need to be stocking the cupboard. If the most talented guys available are transfers, then thats who we need to be looking at with these 2014 scholarships. Other schools have shown that a regular allotment of high end transfers can build you a very good program. That said, we are in on some 2015 traditional recruits that look to be special. At this point Miles has done nothing to make me doubt his judgement, I'm confident he will do whats best.

We really need a true shooting guard imo.

I don't think there is anyone available that would help this upcoming year. Not a concern. It would have been nice if we got a talented freshman, but don't waste a schollie on a player that won't ever see the court. If you do, you could be stuck with him for four years. The staff needs to be looking for the replacements for Shields, Petteford, and Pitchford.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back