• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Class of 2014 - 2 spots left

So we have 2 spots left with the addition of Ayegba. I believe we will be going after a big man and another guard. I'm of the opinion that Hammond is still a bit of a project, even though he is the best 5 man we have brought into Nebraska in quite some time. So who is left?

JORDAN CORNISH - 6'6" 210 Pound Shooting Guard - Was let out of his LOI from Tennessee since Cuonzo Martin took the Cal job. WILL visit Nebraska...
https://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=343474

DENG DENG - 6'8" 220 Pound Power Forward - JUCO Transfer with I believe 3 years to play 2. Currently visiting Baylor but will most likely head up to Nebraska for a visit as well (if he doesn't commit while in Waco this weekend)
https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/b...Deng-143551;_ylt=AnVXakd0tvghfRN4vgqkZo5Ws5B4

JOSH CUNNINGHAM - 6'7" 195 Pound Small Forward - Out of Chicago, Illinois, he holds a Nebraska offer but has not visited. Not sure if there is mutual interest or not...
https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/b...gham-139439;_ylt=Ap0y52SYdGbQXVBA1sxHAA5Ws5B4

DAVID WACKER - 6'9" 230 Pound Center - Out of Universal City, Texas, not sure how much interest there is by both parties at this point, but someone we extended an offer too at one point and he did visit us...
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-David-Wacker-133758

ALEER LEEK - 6'9" Power Forward - Out of Bradenton, Florida. Huskers have offered him but it was early in the process. I would say we are his best offer so the fact that he has not jumped on it must mean we may have retracted it, or we are not interested. I suppose it could mean he isn't interested in us, but i'm not sure about that...
https://rivals.yahoo.com/basketball...Leek-156040;_ylt=AvD5rSdp4pOK_j_3kY6JIlrXO5B4

DUSAN RISTIC - 6'11" 240 Pound Center - Out of Bel Aire, Kansas, he is still committed to Arizona and signed his LOI with them. We will see if they have room, i'm sure they will find a way...

THOUGHT: Do not rule out a D1 transfer big man like Pitchford or Pettaway was that has to sit out. We graduate our two centers next year in Ayegba and Smith, so we will want to have Hammond and another guy ready to roll for that situation, especially if we can keep Pitchford from jumping early with Pettaway (which is still iffy). Another high school guard and either a JUCO or D1 transfer big is likely in my opinion

I would like to see us finish with Cornish and another "mystery" big that is looking to transfer. This is a critical year for roster management to set things up for future success. With Ayegba and Tarin Smith expected to fill a couple missing pieces spots this fall, we look pretty good for next year. Add Cornish to that mix and we could run 9 deep easily. And, if Smith and Parker can run the point efficiently and keep the defense up, Webster could be odd man out.

Are there any high school bigs that we have targeted for next year? Give Hammond a year to add some weight and get used to the college level. Then he and another young kid could shore up the middle.

I want Ristic- that gives us 2 big men both could take a redshirt and be ready in 2 years. Cornish could come in and play some minutes this eyar and depending upon Petaway huge minutes in 2 years.

I want Ristic- that gives us 2 big men both could take a redshirt and be ready in 2 years. Cornish could come in and play some minutes this eyar and depending upon Petaway huge minutes in 2 years.

I think there's about a 1% chance on Ristic. We can't even contact him now, so basically we have to act like the ship has sailed and fill his spot. The only way we would get him at this point is if we only sign one more for some reason, then Arizona can't find room for him, and he has nowhere to go. Extremely slim at this point since we can't communicate at all...

I think there's about a 1% chance on Ristic. We can't even contact him now, so basically we have to act like the ship has sailed and fill his spot. The only way we would get him at this point is if we only sign one more for some reason, then Arizona can't find room for him, and he has nowhere to go. Extremely slim at this point since we can't communicate at all...
I read Arizona had room with the last player going NBA?

Don't see 4* players or many basketball players at all redshirt unless injured. not good when your first top 150 player is not D1 ready?

Don't see 4* players or many basketball players at all redshirt unless injured. not good when your first top 150 player is not D1 ready?

I saw Hammond dropped out of the final Rivals 150 rankings, which in my opinion is more accurate for him to be closer to the 150-250 range. I'm not as good at evaluating basketball talent, but just my opinion. Not poo-pooing the commitment at all, that's a very solid high school center we got for Nebraska, I just think he needs a year or two...

So Deng didn't commit to Baylor while on his OV this week. Great news.

Landing him and Cornish would be a great scenario and seems possible at this point.

Deng here right now, Cornish will get here this weekend. If we land one of these two that is excellent. Landing both would give us the best class in, well, ever (on paper)....

Keep us informed.

I am heading to Iowa tonight for a couple days so won't know much about the Deng visit. But I am planning on getting in to Lincoln Thursday so I may see if I can uncover something...

Here's a question. Deng is a 3 to play 2 guy (I think) who averaged 20 points and 11 rebounds per game (had a couple games where he scored 40 and had double digit rebounds). We lose Ayegba, Smith, Rivers, and possibly Pettaway/Pitchford next year. Do you redshirt Deng (let him heal his fractured ankle) and Hammond (put some weight on him) so that you get them both for 4 and 2 years as they wouldn't play a ton this year? Or do you get them the experience and play them right away so they are ready to step in and go when we graduate our big men next year? I am not as savvy of a basketball mind so wondering out loud to you experts as my knowledge just comes from connections about things....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back