• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chris Jones injury

giphy.gif

I havent read this whole thread, so I dont know if this has been stated already, but at least this happened now and not a few games into the season so he can redshirt and come back next year. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Just depends on the damage, mine wasn't that bad, still it clicked with every step and I got to the point of not being able to use stairs. After surgery with a world class doc (US Ski Team) and a great therapy team, I was as good as new in less than 2 months.

Of course we're not doctors, nor do we know any details on the extent of the tear, but Ive had meniscus repair surgery on both of my knees from tennis issues while in my 40s (different years for each). I remember being back on the tennis courts within 6 weeks of each surgery, but I do have to add that I also remember it taking several weeks of playing before I really began to feel confident enough to play at full speed when pushing off on it.
Since he's only 20, and the younger you are, the quicker you heal,,,Im going to hold out some hope for a best case scenario, which would put Jones back with light running by September, returning to practice mid-september, and ready to play in early October. That would put him ready to play for either Wisconsin or OSU. Would be nice to have him back at full speed for those games.

Of course we're not doctors, nor do we know any details on the extent of the tear, but Ive had meniscus repair surgery on both of my knees from tennis issues while in my 40s (different years for each). I remember being back on the tennis courts within 6 weeks of each surgery, but I do have to add that I also remember it taking several weeks of playing before I really began to feel confident enough to play at full speed when pushing off on it.
Since he's only 20, and the younger you are, the quicker you heal,,,Im going to hold out some hope for a best case scenario, which would put Jones back with light running by September, returning to practice mid-september, and ready to play in early October. That would put him ready to play for either Wisconsin or OSU. Would be nice to have him back at full speed for those games.

i would think that is a huge risk and possibly ruining his career and future.

Just had a complete new right knee installed in February. Rehab took about 2 months and I am fully recovered and doing really well at the present time, although not playing football. On my way to a month in Europe beginning in August.

When I talked to the doc one day post op after the surgery and asked how really bad my knee was, he said, "You were not faking it. And by the way, did you know you had a complete torn ACL?" I was shocked, to say the least. I am nearing 73 years of age, can't ever remember doing any major traumatic damage to my knee and believe me, I have lived a very active, sports filled life. Played all the major sports, football, basketball, ran track, baseball, swimming/diving, parachuting (sky diving), softball, and golf. Was in the Navy and Marine Corps. How the hell did I not know I had a torn ACL?

Anyway, I am a firm believer that diligent rehab will do miracles. Hope it is the case for this young man.

Last edited:
Glass is half full happy thought for a Sunday:

Lee was impressing me the couple practices I saw this spring and Bootle was having some good practices. This is a big step for them tho, how they respond will be interesting.

Just depends on the damage, mine wasn't that bad, still it clicked with every step and I got to the point of not being able to use stairs. After surgery with a world class doc (US Ski Team) and a great therapy team, I was as good as new in less than 2 months.

I had a friend while in the USAF who tore his knee up sking and the US Ski Team Doc happened to be there and repaired his and he was back in two months too. Tends to be the exception though and not the norm though.

I suspect he will play this year, and if the doctors sign off, then that is probably a good thing. If he is in football shape in Mid October, he could play the last five games for the Huskers and that probably will decide who wins the West. This of course is based on absolutely no knowledge of just what the damage was, the surgical procedure adopted, the judgment currently of the doctors, -- you know, little things like that.

Lee was impressing me the couple practices I saw this spring and Bootle was having some good practices. This is a big step for them tho, how they respond will be interesting.

And I suppose we can blame Jones' injury on Sam McKewon, who wrote this gem the day before the injury:

Lee’s game improved to the point where he’s likely NU’s top nickel cornerback and will be the No. 3 corner overall if Chris Jones or Lamar Jackson gets hurt. Lee shed some bad weight, put on a little muscle, and still has all the natural cover skills he flashed in high school.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_84c4e8b4-0276-58c0-84a9-989d3628e0a6.html

Last edited:
i would think that is a huge risk and possibly ruining his career and future.

Sorry, but there was no inference that Jones should try push his knee to do things it's not ready for. Just holding out some hope that rehab and the healing process goes extremely well.

Opportunity is knocking here!!! Hopefully they will take it and run with it.

For most surgeries that "repair" a meniscus they perform a menscectomy. This is a removal of the torn piece of meniscus. Inherently, this creates a problem because the meniscus help cushion and lubricate the joint. Without the cushion, degeneration of the knee occurs at a more rapid rate.
With a repair, they anchor the torn piece to the bone because the tear is usually close to the outer edge of the meniscus where there is blood supply to help it heal. Usually, there is a period of non weight bearing because it will damage the repair. Given the time mentioned in the articles, I asume he has the latter surgery.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back