• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chris Cornell dead

It works wickedly well for an acoustic guitar also. I had a 50(ish) page book on alternate tunings, and Drop D tuning always made it's way to my guitars. Fun tuning to play around with.
I've been on a DADGAD kick lately. For just sitting with an acoustic, it's my favorite "let's get weird for a half hour" tuning. In fact, I've got a guitar in my lap right now and I'm screwing around with the song Si Paloma by Sun Kil Moon.

I didn't know much about him or read/see a lot of interviews or anything so maybe I'm wrong but, yeah, he seemed to smile a lot and give off a happy vibe.

He kicked most of his habits before everyone else was getting started. My timeline could be off, but I'm pretty sure he was already off drugs and alcohol while Cobain and Staley were getting deep into it. I just appreciated how open and honest he was about all of his struggles and it showed in gis music.

I've been on a DADGAD kick lately. For just sitting with an acoustic, it's my favorite "let's get weird for a half hour" tuning. In fact, I've got a guitar in my lap right now and I'm screwing around with the song Si Paloma by Sun Kil Moon.
Very cool. Yeah, I got a second acoustic just so I could leave one in Drop D. Changing strings and tuning up, are two of my peeves, but once I get there.....AHHHHHH, not much is better.

Very cool. Yeah, I got a second acoustic just so I could leave one in Drop D. Changing strings and tuning up, are two of my peeves, but once I get there.....AHHHHHH, not much is better.
You ever try double drop D? I think it's also referred to as Neil Young Tuning because he uses it a lot (Cinnamon Girl, Cortez, When You Dance I Can Really Love). The high D is kind of weird and confuses me sometimes, but it's pretty fun to mess around with. I always used to play Cinnamon Girl in drop D but it really comes alive in double drop D.

You ever try double drop D? I think it's also referred to as Neil Young Tuning because he uses it a lot (Cinnamon Girl, Cortez, When You Dance I Can Really Love). The high D is kind of weird and confuses me sometimes, but it's pretty fun to mess around with. I always used to play Cinnamon Girl in drop D but it really comes alive in double drop D.
I have, just not in a while(years actually). When I was still a newbie, a good friend tuned one of my cheapo guitars that way. He was laughing, and playing it, it sounded good. I found out later why he was laughing when I got it back and tried to play on it. He laughed some more, and said, go home, play around on it for a bit. I did and started to figure it out a bit, very cool indeed. Now, all this talk, I will have to revisit certain tunings over the next several days.

that would also be a good show. What album were they touring?
This was way early and I think Siamese Dream had only been released a for a month or two. I think the only reason they played the Ranch Bowl was they were signed up before Cherub Rock hit the airwaves.

I saw something a while ago, and I'm too lazy to look it up now, that supposedly measured rock singers ranges accurately. Freddy was up there. Mike Patton was up there. And the one that surprised me was axl rose was really high up the list.
I've met Mike Patton and even kicked back quite a few drinks with him. I had a friend that I met on an internship at Los Alamos that played saxophone for Mr. Bungle. He had to go tour to support their first album so I went with him for a week. Also met up with them when they played the Warfield in San Francisco a few years later.

This was way early and I think Siamese Dream had only been released a for a month or two. I think the only reason they played the Ranch Bowl was they were signed up before Cherub Rock hit the airwaves.
that would have been an awesome show

Finally got time to myself to play a little online poker and listen to 'Badmotorfinger' once again. Love that album.
candle.gif

This just sucks. I am a big Soundgarden fan and an even bigger Audioslave fan. If I started a rock band, he would be my #1 choice as lead singer...or at least would have been.

His wife's statement
“He flew home for Mother’s Day to spend time with our family. He flew out mid-day Wednesday, the day of the show, after spending time with the children,” she said. “When we spoke before the show, we discussed plans for a vacation over Memorial Day and other things we wanted to do. When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different. When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him”
http://people.com/music/chris-cornells-family-response-suicide-ativan/

I listened Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog all day yesterday. I'm trying to practice gratitude and just be thankful that I'm able to listen to so much of his music. RIP Chris.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back