• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chris Cornell dead

Ill tell you one thing: this weekend I'm pulling out the old CDs and listening to Bad Motorfinger, superunknown, and Down on the Upside in their entirety.
I saw them at the Ranch Bowl in the early 90s with less than 500 people.

I then moved to Omaha a few years after that and saw a lot of bands at small venues. Pretty awesome times. The best concert by far that I ever saw anywhere was the Offspring doing a last minute show at Sokol Hall. This pretty much sums up one of my friends afterwards. He was standing across the street and couldn't find us because he had lost his glasses and shoes.

090.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot about those.

I had a friend that killed himself and this really fits the bill. His father had committed suicide and he always knew it could be something he was capable of. The days leading up to it were some of the best I had seen him. Almost euphoric once he made the decision like a weight had been lifted. He went to his office one morning, paid all of his bills, texted us he was going to be a little late for a lunch meeting we had planned and then shot himself.

Makes a lot of sense, actually. I believe many who kill themselves are very much at peace with their decision.

Cornell seemed fascinated with death for most/all of his adult life. And it's quite possible he had been planning the moment for quite some time. Certainly doesn't seem like it was spur-of-the-moment. Regardless, it's such a selfish choice, especially when you have produced children.

Makes a lot of sense, actually. I believe many who kill themselves are very much at peace with their decision.

Cornell seemed fascinated with death for most/all of his adult life. And it's quite possible he had been planning the moment for quite some time. Certainly doesn't seem like it was spur-of-the-moment. Regardless, it's such a selfish choice, especially when you have produced children.
I think the misconception people have is that the person was struggling before doing it. So when it happens you can't believe it. But I have learned it's pretty common for people to be in excellent spirits before hand, especially in adults. To this day I can't say that I ever saw it coming with my friend. The stories of Cornell playing up to the crowd and looking happy really hits home and brings a lot of it back. That their plan was in place and they were actually happy about it during the last interactions you had with them.

Cornell had one of those rock voices where you know he probably could have been a star in any number of musical genres.

In the upper echelon of pure talent in rock singers. Maybe the best rock voice since Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury. Huge range and impeccable pitch control.

From a range perspective, there are only a handful of rock singers ever. I read an article a while ago that put Elvis and Chris Cornell at the top as far as vocal range for rock vocalists.

That's exactly why none of this makes sense. He was all about his kids.

I saw them at the Ranch Bowl in the early 90s with less than 500 people.

I then moved to Omaha a few years after that and saw a lot of bands at small venues. Pretty awesome times. The best concert by far that I ever saw anywhere was the Offspring doing a last minute show at Sokol Hall. This pretty much sums up one of my friends afterwards. He was standing across the street and couldn't find us because he had lost his glasses and shoes.

090.jpg
seeing soundgarden at the ranch bowl would have been amazing.

That's exactly why none of this makes sense. He was all about his kids.

Though he may very well have reasoned it thoroughly in his own brain.

Maybe something along the lines .... he gave them a financial future ... will live forever through his music ... felt his wife was fully capable as a single parent, since he was gone so much on tour .... etc.

I wonder how the other band members feel. I'm sure they're devastated over losing their friend first and foremost....but... I bet Soundgarden is kinda pissed though. They had album plans, tour plans, etc. .. And you can't replace Chris. Sorry.

I wonder how the other band members feel. I'm sure they're devastated over losing their friend first and foremost....but... I bet Soundgarden is kinda pissed though. They had album plans, tour plans, etc. .. And you can't replace Chris. Sorry.
He was Soundgarden for sure.

Last month Ratt was playing here. But it was the drummer using their name. No way I'm paying for a glorified tribute band. Not to knock tribute bands because some of them are excellent, but don't act like it's the real thing.

Cornell had one of those rock voices where you know he probably could have been a star in any number of musical genres.

In the upper echelon of pure talent in rock singers. Maybe the best rock voice since Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury. Huge range and impeccable pitch control.
He had serious range but the thing that always struck me was the power. He had one of those voices that felt like it punched your ears. It was thick or viscous or girthy, for lack of better terms.

From a range perspective, there are only a handful of rock singers ever. I read an article a while ago that put Elvis and Chris Cornell at the top as far as vocal range for rock vocalists.
As far as pure voice, I'd go with Freddie or Jeff Buckley but Cornell is in the conversation.

As far as pure voice, I'd go with Freddie or Jeff Buckley but Cornell is in the conversation.

Whilee I was never a Queen fan, obviously Freddie Mercury could his ass off. The author of the article was talking about how Elvis and Chris Cornell had the rane to sing opera.

He had serious range but the thing that always struck me was the power. He had one of those voices that felt like it punched your ears. It was thick or viscous or girthy, for lack of better terms.

Yeah, the fact he could maintain that grit and control was something.

Between Kim Thayil's drop D riffing and Cornell's voice, Soundgarden was a pre-game/workout staple. They got the adrenaline surging.

Actually so was Audioslave....

I always thought Cochise would be a killer tunnel walk song if Nebraska would ever retire Sirius.

No doubt. The Day I Tried yo Live is a classic example.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back