• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Charlie Spegal

The equivalent of a halfback and two quarterbacks?? Never did get the nomenclature...
Actually i can answer this. The names of our backs actually come from Rugby. In Rugby the smaller faster backs are in the middle of the wing backs and are often reffered to as half backs. The fastest backs are called fly halfs. In the very ba k is a very big tough fast back that is also often the last line of defense. They are full back from the scrum and are thus called full backs. If you were to look at body types full backs in football would often rssemble what many of us think of as a full back.

The equivalent of a halfback and two quarterbacks?? Never did get the nomenclature...

The names started in the era of the Single-Wing, morphed during the T-Formation, then morphed again with the Wing-T, and I-Formation. Here's more information than you probably ever cared to know about the evolution of offensive backfields and their positions' names.

Single-Wing Backfield
In the original Pop Warner Single-Wing the Fullback was at the back and the center of the offensive backfield. The Wingback was just off the outside shoulder of the Tight-End, same as today. The Quarterback was close to the Line of Scrimmage and usually off-set behind a Guard or Tackle, very similar to what a lot of teams do now with an H-Back in a goal-line situation. The Quarterback rarely took the snap, but he was in the middle of everyone else, so he often called out the snap count. The offense was designed for Jim Thorpe, who played the Tailback position. Sometimes the Tailback lined up next to the Fullback, and sometimes he lined up slightly behind him and to the side. In the Single-Wing the ball was usually snapped directly to the Fullback or Tailback, shotgun style. The Fullback was sometimes a big RB for running in the middle, but he was also often a smaller, quicker back for running outside.
300px-Singlewingformation_vs5.gif

T-Formation
By the 1930s the dominant offense that almost all teams ran at every level was the Single-Wing, and we still use it today except now we call it "the Wildcat Offense." Some teams started using different backfield arrangements to throw the ball. The Washington Redskins of the late 30s were the dominant team in the NFL, and the Chicago Bears needed something different to beat them. In the 1940 NFL Championship Game they unveiled the T-Formation Offense, which had a QB under Center, a Fullback directly behind him, and a Halfback to either side of the Fullback. The offense was designed around misdirection with a HB faking a dive to one side while the HB was the lead blocker for the FB going to the other side. The Fullback was the better ball carrier, usually, and the HBs were the better blockers, so it was opposite of what we think of now. By the way, the offense worked pretty well: Bears 73, Redskins 0.
1200px-T_Formation.svg.png

Wing-T
Most of the modern offenses evolved out of the T-Formation, so most of the names stuck from that point on. The Wing-T kept everything the same except they traded one HB to bring back a Wingback. With the FB directly behind the QB, he eventually evolved into being the bigger back, but as late as the pre-Osborne Bob Devaney offense, Nebraska was still using a small quick FB with a bigger blocking HB, which is why Frank Solich played FB for Devaney.
Picture11.jpg

Delaware Wing-T/Offset-I
It's hard to pin down which step was next, but some people began moving the RB farther behind the QB while keeping a blocking back offset. Some of the earlier variations of the Delaware Wing-T look like the same backfield as the Offset-I, but now the Halfback was almost always in the back of the backfield.
I-form_offset_strong_green.PNG

I-Formation
The creation of the I-Formation is often give to Tom Nugent of Maryland in the 50s, but his most famous version featured 3 RBs stacked in line behind the QB. The I-Formation became famous due to John McKay's USC offense in the 60s and early 70s that featured a dominant RB in the back and a blocking Fullback directly between him and the QB. Mike Garrett, OJ Simpson, Sam "Bam" Cunningham, et al., were what we now call an I-back, but I believe that McKay called them Halfbacks and Tailbacks. Osborne copied this offensive backfield. Once the I-Formation become widespread, the use of "Halfback," "I-Back," and "Tailback" became synonymous.
I-form_green.PNG

After that, everyone more or less stuck with those names.

The names started in the era of the Single-Wing, morphed during the T-Formation, then morphed again with the Wing-T, and I-Formation. Here's more information than you probably ever cared to know about the evolution of offensive backfields and their positions' names.

Single-Wing Backfield
In the original Pop Warner Single-Wing the Fullback was at the back and the center of the offensive backfield. The Wingback was just off the outside shoulder of the Tight-End, same as today. The Quarterback was close to the Line of Scrimmage and usually off-set behind a Guard or Tackle, very similar to what a lot of teams do now with an H-Back in a goal-line situation. The Quarterback rarely took the snap, but he was in the middle of everyone else, so he often called out the snap count. The offense was designed for Jim Thorpe, who played the Tailback position. Sometimes the Tailback lined up next to the Fullback, and sometimes he lined up slightly behind him and to the side. In the Single-Wing the ball was usually snapped directly to the Fullback or Tailback, shotgun style. The Fullback was sometimes a big RB for running in the middle, but he was also often a smaller, quicker back for running outside.
300px-Singlewingformation_vs5.gif

T-Formation
By the 1930s the dominant offense that almost all teams ran at every level was the Single-Wing, and we still use it today except now we call it "the Wildcat Offense." Some teams started using different backfield arrangements to throw the ball. The Washington Redskins of the late 30s were the dominant team in the NFL, and the Chicago Bears needed something different to beat them. In the 1940 NFL Championship Game they unveiled the T-Formation Offense, which had a QB under Center, a Fullback directly behind him, and a Halfback to either side of the Fullback. The offense was designed around misdirection with a HB faking a dive to one side while the HB was the lead blocker for the FB going to the other side. The Fullback was the better ball carrier, usually, and the HBs were the better blockers, so it was opposite of what we think of now. By the way, the offense worked pretty well: Bears 73, Redskins 0.
1200px-T_Formation.svg.png

Wing-T
Most of the modern offenses evolved out of the T-Formation, so most of the names stuck from that point on. The Wing-T kept everything the same except they traded one HB to bring back a Wingback. With the FB directly behind the QB, he eventually evolved into being the bigger back, but as late as the pre-Osborne Bob Devaney offense, Nebraska was still using a small quick FB with a bigger blocking HB, which is why Frank Solich played FB for Devaney.
Picture11.jpg

Delaware Wing-T/Offset-I
It's hard to pin down which step was next, but some people began moving the RB farther behind the QB while keeping a blocking back offset. Some of the earlier variations of the Delaware Wing-T look like the same backfield as the Offset-I, but now the Halfback was almost always in the back of the backfield.
I-form_offset_strong_green.PNG

I-Formation
The creation of the I-Formation is often give to Tom Nugent of Maryland in the 50s, but his most famous version featured 3 RBs stacked in line behind the QB. The I-Formation became famous due to John McKay's USC offense in the 60s and early 70s that featured a dominant RB in the back and a blocking Fullback directly between him and the QB. Mike Garrett, OJ Simpson, Sam "Bam" Cunningham, et al., were what we now call an I-back, but I believe that McKay called them Halfbacks and Tailbacks. Osborne copied this offensive backfield. Once the I-Formation become widespread, the use of "Halfback," "I-Back," and "Tailback" became synonymous.
I-form_green.PNG

After that, everyone more or less stuck with those names.
Not a word about Rugby...

Thanks Ball Coach!

Actually i can answer this. The names of our backs actually come from Rugby. In Rugby the smaller faster backs are in the middle of the wing backs and are often reffered to as half backs. The fastest backs are called fly halfs. In the very ba k is a very big tough fast back that is also often the last line of defense. They are full back from the scrum and are thus called full backs. If you were to look at body types full backs in football would often rssemble what many of us think of as a full back.

This is really interesting history that is worth posting somewhere on HuskerMax, and I am sure already posted somewhere on HM. I am about to post something worth reading that actually has some worth to it...rare effort by me.

Walter Camp is regarded as the father of American Football, derived from Rugby. He essentially led the effort to officially define a new, truly American derivative of Rugby. For the sake of avoiding blatant plagiarism, go here :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Camp

It appears that there were a bunch of Ivy League guys that developed a new kind of game derived from Rugby, and they began to mold a game they collaborated on developing between groups of guys among each Ivy League school.
And then in 1873 they finally officially defined the rules to this game that evolved many times over the next 40 - 50 years beyond 1873.
"In 1873 Camp attended a meeting where representatives from Columbia, Rutgers, Princeton, and Yale universities created the intercollegiate football association (IFA)."

Clearly there was something about Rugby in that day that they felt should be modified to make the game better in some way or more interesting. Unlike now, they did not believe that 'Flag Football' was the next evolution in the game to make it better or more interesting.

Addendum : and this may be the very beggining of our game :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_football

Last edited:
This is really interesting history that is worth posting somewhere on HuskerMax, and I am sure already posted somewhere on HM. I am about to post something worth reading that actually has some worth to it...rare effort by me.

Walter Camp is regarded as the father of American Football, derived from Rugby. He essentially led the effort to officially define a new, truly American derivative of Rugby. For the sake of avoiding blatant plagiarism, go here :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Camp

It appears that there were a bunch of Ivy League guys that developed a new kind of game derived from Rugby, and they began to mold a game they collaborated on developing between groups of guys among each Ivy League school.
And then in 1873 they finally officially defined the rules to this game that evolved many times over the next 40 - 50 years beyond 1873.
"In 1873 Camp attended a meeting where representatives from Columbia, Rutgers, Princeton, and Yale universities created the intercollegiate football association (IFA)."

Clearly there was something about Rugby in that day that they felt should be modified to make the game better in some way or more interesting. Unlike now, they did not believe that 'Flag Football' was the next evolution in the game to make it better or more interesting.

Addendum : and this may be the very beggining of our game :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_football
Yeah most ruggers or former ruggers know the connection from soccer to rugby to football. All the way up to the 20s or 30s the games were almost indistinguishable. So much so that the last olympics where 15s were played the US won the gold in Rugby. Now we would not stand a chance.

Not a word about Rugby...

Thanks Ball Coach!
Hey, you posted while I was typing, but reading yours and mine together covers almost all of the major points. Your response covers from Rugby through early American football in the late 1800s, and I picked it up from there. I thought it was good teamwork.

I have never understood a coache's obsession with statistics, for the perfect player, at some position. I would have thought that NU had debunked that "myth" during Tom's years. A guy like this can play football. How many times have we fanned on third and short, when a guy like this might very well pick it up.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back