• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

cast iron skillets

Huskers57

Husker Fan
15 Year Member
Not sure if this has been discussed.

I'm thinking about getting a cast iron skillet/pan....your thoughts? Are they worth it? benefits v. cons of having one?

Thanks.

We have 2, a ten inch and 5 inch. I use them more than my all-clad stainless steel. Nearly indestructible, adds flavors to foods, and it fits on my big green egg! !!

Cast iron...........no other way to go. It can take abuse, and still keep giving.

Make sure you DON'T USE SOAP OR DISH DETERGENT to clean it or soak it in water for periods of time.

Cast iron is better than a good woman..........well almost anyway!

Huskers57:943604 said:
Make sure you DON'T USE SOAP OR DISH DETERGENT to clean it or soak it in water for periods of time.

so how do you clean them? :confused:

Warm water and we use a plastic brown scraper from our pizza stone. The cast iron will absorb the soap, so that's why you don't use soap. On the plus side, it absorbs the flavor of bacon :)

so how do you clean them? :confused:

I believe he meant ^long periods of time.

You don't need to soak the entire skillet, but if the stuff inside is hard to get off, you can fill it with water to help loosen it up. But if its properly seasoned, you shouldn't have to; it'll scrub right off. Besides, any particles left behind provide extra flavoring for the next meal. :Biggrin:

Be sure to dedicate a scrubbie (plastic or steel wool) for your cast iron and use it for nothing else. You don't want to use anything to clean your cast iron that previously had soap in it.

Last edited:

thanks for the heads up guys...I'll get one this weekend...so what do i need to season the skillet so it'll be perfect-o?

I use both. Certain things work better with the Teflon surface, like omelets, where you want an easy flip or turn. Otherwise it is cast iron for frying, grilling and even baking.

I believe most come pre seasoned. Ours is lodge logic, I think. We got ours at Gander Mountain. We just clean it and wipe it with olive oil to get it ready for the next use. Actually this conversation helped remind me to throw it in the camper for our trip this weekend. :Biggrin:

Good stuff to think about here:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PiQ0VOJmCbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cleaning the skillet out with salt and a wad of paper towel works real well. I made steaks in the oven this way during the winter time and it works great. Cast iron skillets are serious business. Definitely prefer a non-stick surface for omelets though.

I believe he meant ^long periods of time.

You don't need to soak the entire skillet, but if the stuff inside is hard to get off, you can fill it with water to help loosen it up. But if its properly seasoned, you shouldn't have to; it'll scrub right off. Besides, any particles left behind provide extra flavoring for the next meal. :Biggrin:

Be sure to dedicate a scrubbie (plastic or NOT steel wool) for your cast iron and use it for nothing else. You don't want to use anything to clean your cast iron that previously had soap in it.

Don't ever use steel wool on cast iron. It takes away the seasoning. Usually a stiff plastic brush will do the trick. Again I say never use soap. If you do you will take away the seasoning. If you cook chile or sauces with tomato base in it, the seasoning will take a hit. I use my cast iron cookware for soups, fried chicken, stews and chile........and everything else. I just re-season with some oil if needed. Actually I keep a can of vegetable spray handy and shoot a squirt or two on the pan before I store it away. That maintains the seasoning.

Husker57: While you are buying the new cast iron, get a dutch oven (pick the size that fits your needs), and 3 sizes of skillets (with lids if you can find them, or for the large one for sure). Oh, one more thing.........buy a dutch oven with out the legs if you don't want to cook with the dutch oven out doors with charcoal or wood. The ovens without legs work great on the stove or in the oven (or on the grill). I know you are probably a man of real means.....buy a dutch oven with legs, and buy one without.

What ever you end up with you will be satisfied and want to buy more. You will get rid of your stainless steel, or what ever you have now.

Also, be sure to update your will. You family "will" fight over who gets the cast iron when you are gone. Or you could just have it buried with you. That's what I'm doing!

Last edited:

HEY! You edited my quote!
< Reported. >
:stickouttongue:

Don't ever use steel wool on cast iron.

Never say never. (or in your case, never say "don't ever") :Biggrin:

Okay, I guess I didn't clarify. For NORMAL cleaning, avoid steel wool.

But for burnt/caked gunk difficult to remove, you can use steel wool. Or if it should become rusty, you can use steel wool to remove rust. But yes, steel wool will remove the seasoning, so you should re-season after using steel wool. Or if you overseasoned and the surface is gummy, you can use steel wool to remove seasoning and start over if necessary. And make sure your pad is dedicated for your cast iron, and hasnt been used with other dishes with soap.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back