• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Carl Pelini's move seem imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedOhio

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
All reports are basically saying that Carl's move is now imminent after a few days of speculation. I just can't help but feel like this is not a good move for Carl...similar to Eckler's move to Indiana. I don't say this because I want him at Nebraska forever (which would be nice), but I just think these guys get so hungry to move up the coaching ladder that they jump at the wrong opportunity. I really think they would get better positions if they were more patient. Transitioning from a coordinator to head coach is really not that big of a jump for an experienced coach at a big program. Honestly, moving from a coordinator position at Nebraska to a head coach at a very low level Div 1 program...just seems like a lateral move...or even a step backwards. Eckler's move to Indiana had the same feel to me (position coach at a perennial power to coordinator at a perennial doormat). I wish these guys all the best, but seems like a lot of unecessary stress to put on your family.

Last edited:

All reports are basically saying that Carl's move is now imminent after a few days of speculation. I just can't help but feel like this is not a good move for Carl...similar to Eckler's move to Indiana. I don't say this because I want him at Nebraska forever (which would be nice), but I just think these guys get so hungry to move up the coaching ladder that they jump at the wrong opportunity. I really think they would get better positions if they were more patient. Transitioning from a coordinator to head coach is really not that big of a jump for an experienced coach at a big program. Honestly, moving from a coordinator position at Nebraska to a head coach at a very low level Div 1 program...just seems like a lateral move...or even a step backwards. Eckler's move to Indiana had the same feel to me (position coach at a perennial power to coordinator at a perennial doormat). I wish these guys all the best, but seems like a lot of unecessary stress to put on your family.

This is the life they live. If Carl wants to run his own show, this it the type of job he is going to have to take. He won't have any opportunities any better as long as he stays in Bo's shadow.

I thought he would have been a better fit at a MAC school, or something along those lines. I've also always thought coaches should be careful about jumping on the first chance to move on. Still, I hope he is wildly successful so when Braxton Miller graduates and Urban Meyer suddenly needs to retire again for health reasons and Bo goes to tOSU then we can get Carl. :Biggrin:

I think its a good move. Build your staff and cut your teeth at a lower level, then once your team is in place, move up.

I think its a good move. Build your staff and cut your teeth at a lower level, then once your team is in place, move up.

and possibly in this case stabilize your team and move them to the Big East. Nice notch to have on your resume. All he has to do is win six to eight consistently.
??

Agree. There's plenty of talent in his backyard down there, so if he gets a staff full of good recruiters anything is possible. It won't hurt for Bo to have an extra set of eyes down in South Florida...and a free place to stay when he visits!

OK, I'll say it, and I KNOW many of you agree.

I'm glad Carl is leaving.

There, I feel better.

I agree, it's a good move, if CP wants to become a HC at the BCS level. In this day in age, if you're going to become a HC, it's better to start your career in Florida, Texas, or California, and build recruiting bases there that you can fall back on when at bigger schools. I'd question the move if he was taking over a school like Utah St., Memphis, Idaho, Akron, Arkansas St. etc.

There are worse places to cut your teeth as a brand new D-1 program than in Florida. Even after Miami, FSU and Florida have picked the cream of the crop, he will still have a wealth of riches of instate talent to recruit.

You are assuming that Ek and Carl 'wanted to leave'.

Now that would be impressive. "You're fired.......but Carl, we'll get you a Head Coaching job, and Mike, even though you only have 2 years of non-GA coaching experience, we'll get you an Assistant DC gig."

Bo is amazing, indeed.:Biggrin:

Now that would be impressive. "You're fired.......but Carl, we'll get you a Head Coaching job, and Mike, even though you only have 2 years of non-GA coaching experience, we'll get you an Assistant DC gig."

Bo is amazing, indeed.:Biggrin:

Who said they were fired. Can't someone suggest that it might be better if you looked elsewhere to find a job, and then help that said person find a job? Nothing being insinuated here or suggested or rumored just saying sometimes certain people in certain jobs don't quite work out. Doesn't mean anything other than that.

But yes your are right Bo is amazing.:Biggrin:

the odds of carl getting a job at a major, top 25 type of program as a head coach anytime soon are not good. i think he has to take it. carl can make a positive mark at FAU -- it's a sun belt school where he certainly does have an opportunity to prove himself -- and then move up the ranks if he desires 3, 4, 5 years from now. at nebraska, carl will ALWAYS be in the shadow of bo. in my opinion, this is a great opportunity for him.

i can't really compare it to ekeler moving on to indiana -- as a defensive coordinator. indiana has almost no chance of competing in the big ten -- it's been that way for decades and will continue to be.

Last edited:

the odds of carl getting a job at a major, top 25 type of program as a head coach anytime soon are not good. i think he has to take it. carl can make a positive mark at FAU -- it's a sun belt school where he certainly does have an opportunity to prove himself -- and then move up the ranks if he desires 3, 4, 5 years from now. at nebraska, carl will ALWAYS be in the shadow of bo. in my opinion, this is a great opportunity for him.

i can't really compare it to ekeler moving on to indiana -- as a defensive coordinator. indiana has almost no chance of competing in the big ten -- it's been that way for decades and will continue to be.

yep, 100% correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back