• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Captain and Coke with ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what you are saying. Things happen. But UCF claims to have had zero in 2017. Until Harrison Phillips blew his knee out at Stanford their S&C team had not had a season ending injury in 4 years. I would lean to thinking like you, where injuries happen. We just have to eliminate the season ending ones. Kids are gonna get knicked up.

As you have said yourself, many of those season ending injuries were knees and that is going to happen in football. I do think more physical practices will lead to some increase in players missing a game or two, but hopefully that is off set by development of many more players and having quality depth.

I have no explanation of how Stanford can not have a single season ending injury in 4 years....although i'd love to hear how differently they do things than other schools. Not sure any other school to say they went one year without that type of thing happening.

***:
Both Stanford and UCF have been used as comparators for less injuries than DONU in football.

The one thing that they both have in common is a GRASS PLAYING FIELD.

Question: It is much easier now to get a good grass field, even in northern climates. Is that something DONU should consider to reduce injuries, both soft tissue and maybe even others like concussion?

HSG

There are a lot of people on here and I appreciate all sorts of views whether I agree with them or not, ***'s posts for me are awesome because while I have played football all of my life, I didn't get into the x's and o's, for the most part I know kicking/punting and that is about it. I also appreciate people like Paramus that don't just go along with the flow and whether I agree or disagree I appreciate his opinion, I only have one on ignore and that is just because he is an idiot.

I am looking forward to the next installment of ***'s thoughts or maybe even just the title. We shall see.
You lost me at Paramus...

Nobody said he wouldn't. I certainly didn't

UCF's Greg McCrae is 5-11 and 175 lbs. He averaged 9.0 ypc and had 1,101 yards rushing this year. That's better than Ozibgo's 7.0 yards per carry and 1,080 yards. Killins had the most carries for UCF and he only weighs 165.
I would hope you would add a caveat in this analysis because of the different level of defenses. 7.0 against the likes of Iowa, MSU, OSU and Michigan is definitely a little different from doing so against Memphis, USF, Navy and Temple. UCF had talent at RB, but the combination of size, power and speed against the larger, faster and more physical defenses was critical to Ziggy’s success.

***:
Both Stanford and UCF have been used as comparators for less injuries than DONU in football.

Question: It is much easier now to get a good grass field, even in northern climates. Is that something DONU should consider to reduce injuries, both soft tissue and maybe even others like concussion?

HSG
It’s interesting, as I haven’t really even thought about the surfaces. I can see pros and cons to both, but I haven’t seen any research one way or the other.

I would hope you would add a caveat in this analysis because of the different level of defenses. 7.0 against the likes of Iowa, MSU, OSU and Michigan is definitely a little different from doing so against Memphis, USF, Navy and Temple. UCF had talent at RB, but the combination of size, power and speed against the larger, faster and more physical defenses was critical to Ziggy’s success.

As long as it doesn't look like this, at least they mowed it before they took a picture, I think. I assume the big 'N' is at midfield, so who knows what the rest of the field looks like.
09.23.16+Dead+Grass.jpg

As long as it doesn't look like this, at least they mowed it before they took a picture, I think. I assume the big 'N' is at midfield, so who knows what the rest of the field looks like.
09.23.16+Dead+Grass.jpg
My experience with crappy grass fields. (What most of our youth teams play on here in good ole PG County MD.) The middle of the field is usually the worst.

***:

HSG

This is a very hot topic where I live because the hometown soccer team (Atlanta United) which has exploded on to the scene plays in MBS and much of the league is mad that they play on turf not grass... one of the big arguments is that knee injuries are more prevalent on field turf than on grass...

But during a big discussion on Reddit about it... a guy that went to Penn St for turf management showed us all a PSU study that basically stated that the field turf (brand name but no specific to the brand) is so good now that the knee injuries are actually nearly identical to grass fields... I will see if I can locate the post and put in the hyperlink but basically it said that now the turf is just so good that it has the same effect as grass... The only real concern now is the rubber pellets are becoming a concern if ingested... some cancer concerns.

I actually think we were the healthiest we had been in 10 years under MP and Riley. The issue is, we had people sitting out all week then playing Saturday under them. They didn't get better in the weight room. We also lost more starters with MP compared to ZD, which in the end could be what it's all about. But season ending things were infinitely better under MP than they were this year, we lost a ton of development time with guys like Miles Jones, Will Honas, Deontre Thomas, Cam Smith, Cam Jones, Tate Wildeman, Casey Rodgers, etc.. I expect this to get much better. It's year 1 and ZD is dealing with hands he was dealt.
Great write up *** - thanks.

Of all the player you list here, which ones would you guess will miss spring camp due to injury?

This is a very hot topic where I live because the hometown soccer team (Atlanta United) which has exploded on to the scene plays in MBS and much of the league is mad that they play on turf not grass... one of the big arguments is that knee injuries are more prevalent on field turf than on grass...

But during a big discussion on Reddit about it... a guy that went to Penn St for turf management showed us all a PSU study that basically stated that the field turf (brand name but no specific to the brand) is so good now that the knee injuries are actually nearly identical to grass fields... I will see if I can locate the post and put in the hyperlink but basically it said that now the turf is just so good that it has the same effect as grass... The only real concern now is the rubber pellets are becoming a concern if ingested... some cancer concerns.

Can't remember where I saw it and maybe I am just dreaming but I thought now they use 'cork' instead of rubber pellets. I too will try and find an article but I know I saw it somewhere.

I am sure this is not where I saw it but it does say 'cork'.
http://www.fieldturf.eu/en/products/fieldturf-purefill

Last edited:
Can't remember where I saw it and maybe I am just dreaming but I thought now they use 'cork' instead of rubber pellets. I too will try and find an article but I know I saw it somewhere.

I am sure this is not where I saw it but it does say 'cork'.
http://www.fieldturf.eu/en/products/fieldturf-purefill
yes, most the new stuff is all natural infill but is more expensive... cork and ground coconut shell etc...

I would encourage folks to utilize the ignore feature. I never really considered it until the last *** thread that the same few usual suspects tried to trash up a few weeks ago. I ignored four posters that day. It's made reading this forum far more enjoyable.
Its kind of funny trying to interpret some of the posts when you have people on ignore. One thing is always a certainty. If its a @ShortSideOption thread than Paramus is usually there to ruin it. Assuming this was the case this time too.

@ShortSideOption Regarding the number of knee injuries this year. Are there some numbers out there to put this in perspective? I mean have we been averaging 3 a year and now had 6? Also could anyone speculate with some type of certainty that this isn't an abnormality or has this been something that has followed Duval and SF around for a while. One year kind of seems like a small sample size.

With the first generation turf fields, a major issue was infections.

I saw a Cleveland Browns player in the early 1980's who got a bad staph knee infection from a skin abrasion at Philadelphias' turf field that led to bacteremia.

I have not heard/read whether newer turf fields are less prone to these problems.

https://plantscience.psu.edu/resear...ealth-issues-on-synthetic-turf-in-the-usa.pdf

The attached study could not find Staph or Strep on Field turf but notes that these surfaces are far more abrasive than grass and thus cause more portals of entry for these organisms that exist elsewhere in the sports environment (locker room for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back