• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Captain and Coke with ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd only add one thing on the defensive side. I have to believe that part of the overall defensive issues and some of the things you referred to some of them needing to find it I believe is very dependent on the number of new schemes and coaches these guys have been subject too. I really believe there will be a much better familiarity going into spring ball this year that might surprise us with some of the players and the defense as a whole. Its been a long time since our defense has gone into spring ball with 2nd year familiarity, development, conditioning, and confidence.

Even with the injuries we had, we were a ton healthier than the years under the last coach, who made lots of statements about "running out of players" at the end of his last season.

Only one year under Duvall - wondering if that might be some of the NU/UCF difference. Also, heavier hitters in the B1G v. the AAC? Dunno, but regardless, we need proven depth. Yes we have guys coming in, but they are gonna be young'uns, and there will be a few recruiting misses. Even though we lose some key seniors, hopefully the culture will begin to take seed earlier in the season on next years team. We were so close in so many games this, we woulda/shoulda/coulda won several of those with the competitive culture that these coaches want from the get-go.
I actually think we were the healthiest we had been in 10 years under MP and Riley. The issue is, we had people sitting out all week then playing Saturday under them. They didn't get better in the weight room. We also lost more starters with MP compared to ZD, which in the end could be what it's all about. But season ending things were infinitely better under MP than they were this year, we lost a ton of development time with guys like Miles Jones, Will Honas, Deontre Thomas, Cam Smith, Cam Jones, Tate Wildeman, Casey Rodgers, etc.. I expect this to get much better. It's year 1 and ZD is dealing with hands he was dealt.

I'd only add one thing on the defensive side. I have to believe that part of the overall defensive issues and some of the things you referred to some of them needing to find it I believe is very dependent on the number of new schemes and coaches these guys have been subject too. I really believe there will be a much better familiarity going into spring ball this year that might surprise us with some of the players and the defense as a whole. Its been a long time since our defense has gone into spring ball with 2nd year familiarity, development, conditioning, and confidence.
Agree. I beat that to a pulp and figured people had heard enough of it. But to your point, our redshirt seniors were in 5 different defensive schemes. Pelini, Banker, Banker rugby, Diaco, Chinander. How can you expect to be good being taught something different every year you were in college?

I'd be curious what you mean by this?
I believe when they are really putting out physically, the athletes are straining their bodies,,,like a 300 lb lineman hits harder than a 250 lb lineman and collisions are almost never good. A guy running at 4.3 speed is going to hit harder than one running at 5.0 speed. Muscles and bones can only take so much. Proper conditioning can help but we are always going to have injuries. Like I said its a nit, but still there. I believe Frost gets every bit of energy from the players.

Last edited:
Frost is a school of fish philosophy. There's not going to be more than one big fish unless you rotate stock on a regular basis.

We'll be fine on O. It's the D that I worry about.

We have a summary of depth at each position and a forecast of likely starters.

But which of them can become play-makers and All Big 10 type players?

Offering insight on that would add a lot to the OP. Right now, for our roster, I think they few and far between, as they were in 2018.

Yes, just like every team, the 2019 huskers will have starters and back-ups at every position, and we will know their names (they can't hide). But how good will they be?

No potential All Americans have been identified at this point. Player development will be essential for 2019.

My last memory of the 2018 season was an O-line and a D-line that was getting pushed around by Iowa. This thread provides lots of names to go with each position, but what's in a name? We will always have lots of names. What we need performance.

Last edited:

We have a summary of depth at each position and a forecast of likely starters.

But which of them can become play-makers and All Big 10 type players?

Offering insight on that would add a lot to the OP. Right now, for our roster, I think they few and far between, as they were in 2018.

Yes, just like every team, the 2019 huskers will have starters and back-ups at every position, and we will know their names (they can't hide). But how good will they be?

No potential All Americans have been identified at this point. Player development will be essential for 2019.

My last memory of the 2018 season was an O-line and a D-line that was getting pushed around by Iowa. This thread provides lots of names to go with each position, but what's in a name? We will always have lots of names. What we need performance.

Is it your life goal to take a dump on everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back