• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Can Riley unite a house divided?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tad Stryker posted a new article:

Can Riley unite a house divided?

How long will Husker Nation continue to be a house divided?

When will the clamor about Mike Riley finally die down? At times, Nebraska fans seem like two nations at war. Can we reach a consensus on the nice guy from Corvallis who makes brilliant off-the-field decisions and proved that you can indeed persuade four- and five-star high school prospects to take a serious recruiting trip to Lincoln – but who already has a losing season at NU, and whose winning percentage as coach of the Big Red...

Read more about this article...

Two nations at war? Are you kidding me. I won't even read the article itself. It's ridiculous on its face. I would say this is the most unified we've been in a long while. Sure, there are some idiots who think Riley isn't a good coach or fit here. But those are the exception, not half the damn fan base.

images

It's gotten to the point where anyone who is stupid enough to bag on Riley is so unbelievably out-of-touch that there is no reason to engage in a discussion with them. We went from an amateur-hour coaching staff to a well-oiled machine. We went from "we can't even get guys to visit here, much less sign them" to telling 4-star guys we might not have room on the roster. Did certain individuals expect that the roster left him would be converted to wins just because they wear an N on the side of the their helmet? Do certain people know just how depleted our roster was, both in terms of talent and mismanagement? Do they understand how utterly dysfunctional the program was when he took over?

To imply we are a house divided and/or at war with each other is hyperbolic and inaccurate. It's also vastly overstating the numbers who don't like Riley.

Meh, I think dad is home alone drinking miller high life while mom and the kids are with Aunt Dolores at the bowling alley. Just check the patience thread. It's definitely not a 50/50 split though. I think most of us feel good about the direction of the program.

Meh, I think dad is home alone drinking miller high life while mom and the kids are with Aunt Dolores at the bowling alley. Just check the patience thread. It's definitely not a 50/50 split though. I think most of us feel good about the direction of the program.
I agree with this. There are a few people who are not yet sold on Riley as head coach, a handful who will not accept him because they disagree with Pelini's firing, and a few who still want Tom Osborne back. Most of us have moved on from the past, and believe that Riley has the program headed in the right direction.

It's more divided than many of you guys realize. Dissenting opinions are often shut down quickly here, so you don't get to see how a lot of people really feel. I'm sure it's not 50-50, but there is definitely a significant portion of fans who aren't impressed. Feel good offseason stories and lists of excuses can really only take you so far. At some point there needs to be production on the field in the fall.

Furthermore, there are still plenty of people in various camps regarding coaching decisions, including some that still think Callahan should have kept his job or that Solich shouldn't have ever even been promoted to HC.

There are multiple factions that exist now that didn't exist 20 years ago. The one unifying theme is that all want to see Nebraska become a significant force again.

It's more divided than many of you guys realize. Dissenting opinions are often shut down quickly here, so you don't get to see how a lot of people really feel. I'm sure it's not 50-50, but there is definitely a significant portion of fans who aren't impressed. Feel good offseason stories and lists of excuses can really only take you so far. At some point there needs to be production on the field in the fall.

Furthermore, there are still plenty of people in various camps regarding coaching decisions, including some that still think Callahan should have kept his job or that Solich shouldn't have ever even been promoted to HC.

There are multiple factions that exist now that didn't exist 20 years ago. The one unifying theme is that all want to see Nebraska become a significant force again.

Bolded: I've not seen any of the MR haters shut down on this site...in fact, a few of them are among the most prolific posters of all.

Red: After winning the most consecutive games in more than a decade and reaching the LOL "once coveted" 9-win mark (when Bo was HC)...there really is no reason MR would need any excuses at all. Add the fabulous recruiting results, transitioning through the Pelini poison, and strengthening of the staff, and MR deserves all the applause that he gets. The future is bright....

Last edited:
Feel good offseason stories and lists of excuses can really only take you so far. At some point there needs to be production on the field in the fall.

How true. Most people like to support the current coach as much as they can. The off-season is always filled with feel-good stories, but in the end, results are what count.

But I honestly feel good about the make-up of this year's team and about the coaching changes. Last year I had to kinda force myself to believe TA could be the next 1,000 yard rushing/3,000 yard passing QB. It was nice to think about, but it certainly did not happen.

This year I think TL will make a big splash, but I am not forcing that thought. I am honestly impressed with him. Of course my thoughts that the Diaco defense will be the next coming of Pittsburg's Steel Curtain might be just wishful thinking, but since I enjoy those thoughts, I am going to stick with them until proven wrong.

:)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back