• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Caleb Lightbourn Transferring

I think you are likely correct. Now my understanding of NCAA rules is any male two/multi sport athlete will have to be counted as a Football Scholarship if Football is one of them. The only thing I am not sure about is if Basketball is one of them, how that would fit in. I would assume Track & Basketball would count against Basketball. Of course, I think it only becomes a hit when they actually play Football. Of course, I suspect once they go on Football Scholarship, a Baseball (or Track or...) Scholarship would be freed up.
I checked what I could find online, and he was recruited and signed to a baseball scholarship, but the coach told him he could play football, and it was the baseball coaches who told the football coaches to take a look at him after the '94 Orange Bowl when they saw him punting 50-yard punts while screwing around. Even then he had to go on scholarship for football in '94 since he was playing football. Osborne was hoping to keep him for '95, but the Angels and millions of dollars got in the way of that plan.

I really would like to know more about the high school stories that I've heard through the grapevine. In those pre-internet days you never knew what was just a good story versus what really happened, but he did play football, baseball, hockey, and run track in high school, and Jamestown did win the state tournament in basketball his senior year, so it's all plausible.

You are referring to punters first year or two, I'm guessing. We've had many great punters who started as walkons and finished as scholarship players. Foltz, Koch, Erstad, many others have been well worth scholarships.

Yes, walkon until they prove they are a starter. I think that is/was the standard practice

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back