• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Caleb Lightbourn Transferring

Would it be wrong to then surmise that his scholarship was going to be pulled? Putting two and two together that’s what I gather from your post. If that is indeed the case it makes his departing announcement even classier.

Yep. It's one of those tough conversations a head coach has to have. But I like Scott's style in letting things play out - he gives the player the time to work it out his way, and never says a word to the media until after the player has made his decision about what he is going to do, and how and to whom he's going to communicate his decision.

Classy handling of a tough situation by the coach, and classy actions by the player. Well done, gentlemen.

Good luck, Caleb!

Yep. It's one of those tough conversations a head coach has to have. But I like Scott's style in letting things play out - he gives the player the time to work it out his way, and never says a word to the media until after the player has made his decision about what he is going to do, and how and to whom he's going to communicate his decision.

Classy handling of a tough situation by the coach, and classy actions by the player. Well done, gentlemen.

Good luck, Caleb!
Alert the media we have become what we despise, the SEC! . Hate to see a kid lose his scholarship, but this is big boy football. Either way kudos to you Caleb and best of luck

The most respected trait of any kicker/punter is reliability. Whatever reason Lightbourn had for his performance in in his first year just doesn't hold water for what we've seen out of him recently. He's just not reliable.
Unfortunately the way Lightbourn was punting he was a serious liability imo. I mean he could easy cost us a game or two with those shanks so it's all for the best.

wish Caleb well. unfortunately, my memory of him will always be that onside kick disaster vs tOSU. never seen anything like that, and I'm sure i never will.
Or the -2 yard punt his freshman year! Poor guy always got on you tube for the wrong reasons. He has the skills, I wish him well.

He gets a pass his freshman year tough situation to come into. After that no, it was all mental with him.

Want to see him succeed, like I want them all to succeed. But, it was time to move on.

We had a home for him until the numbers were gone.
This brings up another question and you seem as good as anyone to ask. Does this mean we are no longer offering four year scholarships? Maybe we never were and I just misunderstood but I could’ve sworn we were trying to use that as a recruiting advantage at least under Riley.

Best to transfer and get a new start even if it's at the next level down. Try to get another scholarship and finish school as it's unlikely he's going to be kicking in the NFL. I'm sure he tried hard to improve as no one wants to fail or let his teammates down. I wish him the best and sincerly hope things work out for the kid.

In some ways I feel sorry for him. I wouldn’t think he would get a scholarship as a punter at the D1 level. Going forward, Nebraska shouldn’t waste a scholarship on a punter. We’ve done pretty well with walkons

He does not have to graduate to transfer. He never redshirted so he can sit out a year with one more year to play (2020). The only benefit of a graduate transfer would be that he would not have to sit out 2019 and could play immediately. He would have to graduate to do that.

Interesting question, is any school willing to give him two years of scholarship?

No

Brook Berringer seemed to do just fine and garnered all-conference honors. We then moved on to Scott Frost who brought us a national title and Eric Crouch who won the Heisman. If Lightbourn is asked why he is transferring and couldn't even start at Nebraska and responds "because Sam Foltz passed away in 2016 when I thought I was going to redshirt" he will be playing at Doane in 2019.

I bet Doane’s Punter averaged better than CL last year. Honestly, I don’t see how anyone would offer him a scholarship based on his performance

Going forward, Nebraska shouldn’t waste a scholarship on a punter. We’ve done pretty well with walkons

You are referring to punters first year or two, I'm guessing. We've had many great punters who started as walkons and finished as scholarship players. Foltz, Koch, Erstad, many others have been well worth scholarships.

You are referring to punters first year or two, I'm guessing. We've had many great punters who started as walkons and finished as scholarship players. Foltz, Koch, Erstad, many others have been well worth scholarships.
Just researched Erstad, always thought he was a signee out of high school. He was a baseball signee in 1993. So he became a football scholarship player in 1994. Didn't realize that one.

For baseball geeks, about 20 years ago the Astro's had an outstanding utility player, Billy Spires who played every field position. He was a former Clemson punter.

Last edited:
Would it be wrong to then surmise that his scholarship was going to be pulled? Putting two and two together that’s what I gather from your post. If that is indeed the case it makes his departing announcement even classier.
Yes, I think it would be wrong to surmise his scholarship was being pulled.

He might be encouraged by SF and staff to look elsewhere if he wants to play. The conversation may be something along the lines of ... you're not going to play, you're 5th on the depth chart, you're in danger of not making the travel team and you're in danger of not being on the fall camp initial opening roster, we will help you find a new landing place and we think its in your best interests and ours to go somewhere else.

SF et al may want that scholarship for someone else but they've probably in many living rooms have stated ... this scholarship offer is there for their son no matter what happens for the next 4 years. Once you start "Nick Saban-ing" kids its a long slippery slope!

Lightbourne was able to bow out gracefully and I appreciate him for that.

The guy certainly has talent. He was also full of uncertainty and doubt about his future which harmed his performance. We are our own worst opponents. I hope he finds his answer.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back