• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

CAL ST FULLERTON vs NEBRASKA - Okla St Regional's - Friday, 5/30/14 - Game #1

Isn't it amazing how they managed to win 40 games with such piss poor hitting.

As for today, we faced a damn good pitcher. 9 hits wasn't bad but we couldn't do much with them. Generally, we're not a great hitting team top to bottom but we have a good squad that competes it's brains out, pitches well (especially the last half of the season), and for the most part plays solid defense. Have struggled with bunting all year. Good year no matter what happens from here. Enjoy that empty glass perspective; it's been a fun season to be a Husker fan.

2 of 3 from Irvine. Splitting with Oregon State. Splitting with Arkansas. Those aren't bad on the resume. But I always worry that playing the majority of the games from midseason on against Big Ten competition leaves you less prepared heading into the NCAA Tournament.

Arkansas was not rated at the time. Now they are 27th with a record of 38-23.

I agree with the bold.. Tends to make you weaker.

There is zero wrong with the season, other than playing crappy Big Ten teams. I think we should schedule some tougher games throughout the season.. to counter the big 10 softness

Wow......one bad pitch was the difference in an other wise evenly played game.....disappointing but nothing to be really upset over. Sounded like we had a good approach at the plate and out hit Fullerton, Sinclair took a no-hitter into the sixth or seventh inning, hopefully we can get back in the win column tomorrow. Not sure I agree with the idea we didn't swing the bats well, looked like we were getting some good swings on the ball with what little I was able to watch on my lunch break and I think Greg and Lane pointed out how good our approach was all game long. We knew runs would be hard to come by so it was unfortunate to not get any runs in that 7th inning. For me it is difficult to look at this as anything other than it was, a great ballgame, that was decided on one clutch hit (or one bad pitch depending on your perspective) that went the other team's way.

I do think we need to work on our execution of getting runners on third across home plate with less than two outs, we did it once today but failed to come through in the seventh. Other than that, I really have no complaints.

Wow......one bad pitch was the difference in an other wise evenly played game.....disappointing but nothing to be really upset over. Sounded like we had a good approach at the plate and out hit Fullerton, Sinclair took a no-hitter into the sixth or seventh inning, hopefully we can get back in the win column tomorrow. Not sure I agree with the idea we didn't swing the bats well, looked like we were getting some good swings on the ball with what little I was able to watch on my lunch break and I think Greg and Lane pointed out how good our approach was all game long. We knew runs would be hard to come by so it was unfortunate to not get any runs in that 7th inning. For me it is difficult to look at this as anything other than it was, a great ballgame, that was decided on one clutch hit (or one bad pitch depending on your perspective) that went the other team's way.

I do think we need to work on our execution of getting runners on third across home plate with less than two outs, we did it once today but failed to come through in the seventh. Other than that, I really have no complaints.

That was because of flat out crappy hitting with runners on base. Yeah, we got hits but when it matter we left runners on base. That has been the problem a lot this season.

There is zero wrong with the season, other than playing crappy Big Ten teams. I think we should schedule some tougher games throughout the season.. to counter the big 10 softness

We do this already. The one thin you don't know is how the rpi's, or seasons for your opponents, is going to turn out. Last year's schedule wound up playing a heck of a lot tougher than expected, this year maybe a bit lower for the SOS than you would hope. Still, with 302 teams in college baseball, a SOS in the mid 60's to low 70's (which is about where we are at) is nothing to cry about.

That was because of flat out crappy hitting with runners on base. Yeah, we got hits but when it matter we left runners on base. That has been the problem a lot this season.

Not coming through with a hit does not constitute bad hitting. I only got to watch part of the game and listened to the rest so I did not see with my own eyes. Were we swinging for the fences when we should have been trying to put the ball in play? Sometimes you have to tip your cap to the other team, we made one bad pitch and they took advantage of it. I really see nothing to complain about. That Fullerton pithcer did a heck of a job to get out of the jam in the seventh. He pitched around Boldt and made a good pitch to Darby to get the popup. I guarantee he was looking for something up to avoid hitting into DP....just got one a little too up. That is good pitching. Sport psychology man.....learn it....use it.

I was at game and will say our hitting was fine. Just couldn't seem to score. The hit by cal state that hit third was just bad luck. Home run was hardest hit ball I've seen in awhile. The ball hit about 20 feet above playing fence and bounced back about 50 ft into the stadium. Was sitting with multiple scouts and they were all drooling over Eischelman. They pulled out radar guns on all of the cal state pitchers. They made the comment that they were mostly babysitting by making sure nobody got an injury that they were looking at

Not coming through with a hit does not constitute bad hitting. I only got to watch part of the game and listened to the rest so I did not see with my own eyes. Were we swinging for the fences when we should have been trying to put the ball in play? Sometimes you have to tip your cap to the other team, we made one bad pitch and they took advantage of it. I really see nothing to complain about. That Fullerton pithcer did a heck of a job to get out of the jam in the seventh. He pitched around Boldt and made a good pitch to Darby to get the popup. I guarantee he was looking for something up to avoid hitting into DP....just got one a little too up. That is good pitching. Sport psychology man.....learn it....use it.

No, but you have to have quality/productive at bats in those situations, and NU fails to do that pretty often. The Huskers fail to score a run when having a runner on third and less than 2 outs far too often. You don't have to have a hit all the time in that situation, but you better be having productive outs to get that run in more times than not, and NU has struggled all season at that.

It wasn't just one bad pitch though, you have to look at what happened leading up to that. NU put itself in that situation when Hirsch walked the previous batter (where he had a left on left match-up and 2 outs), bringing up probably Fullerton's most dangerous hitter in a situation where the bases are loaded and leaving Roeder with little room for error. You cannot afford a walk there, which certainly changes what pitches are called and the location. Roeder was trying to throw strikes and caught way too much of the plate, and that's the result. Also, I didn't see it well live, but I'm not sure Jake didn't make a mistake on the previous batter by staying back on the ball down the line that hit the bag. I didn't see where Jake was playing, so I can't say for sure he could have fielded the ball in front of the bag, but it looked like he could have played that ball much more aggressively.

I was at game and will say our hitting was fine. Just couldn't seem to score. The hit by cal state that hit third was just bad luck. Home run was hardest hit ball I've seen in awhile. The ball hit about 20 feet above playing fence and bounced back about 50 ft into the stadium. Was sitting with multiple scouts and they were all drooling over Eischelman. They pulled out radar guns on all of the cal state pitchers. They made the comment that they were mostly babysitting by making sure nobody got an injury that they were looking at

So, did they check out Chance, also? Chance, today, was more than not chopped liver. Chance was outstanding. Chance impressed me more than Eishelman.

Again though, this has been characteristic of NU at least since B1G play started. They get hits on the scoreboard, but have a hard time scoring runs because of a lack of productive at bats too often. This becomes even more critical when you face better teams/pitching in the postseason who are not going to give you cheap runs. You have to take advantage of the opportunities you get by having quality at bats and moving runners even when making an out. That is something NU still does not do well enough for some reason.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=101&SPID=33&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209514095&DB_OEM_ID=100

Huskers Fall to Titans in NCAA Opener

Stillwater, Okla. – Playing in a NCAA Regional for the first time since 2008, the Nebraska baseball team (40-20) dropped a 5-1 decision to the Cal State Fullerton Titans (33-22) on Friday afternoon at Allie P. Reynolds Stadium.
The game was a pitcher’s duel for most of the day, with four of the game’s six runs coming in the eighth inning. With the game tied 1-1 and the bases empty with two outs in the top of the eighth, the Titans loaded the bases and their No. 3 hitter J.D. Davis smashed a grand slam well over the left-field fence to put the Titans on top 5-1.
Both starters went 6.1 innings and put together strong outings, but neither factored into the decision. NU’s Chance Sinclair allowed just one unearned run on two hits, a walk and four strikeouts, while CSF’s Thomas Eshelman gave up one run on seven hits and a walk, while striking out five.

The Huskers fall to the loser’s bracket and will play tomorrow at 12:05 p.m. (CT) against the loser of tonight’s game between Oklahoma State and Binghamton. TV coverage for tomorrow is yet to be announced.

<tbody>
</tbody>

For the rest of the article, click on above url

Dang, really thought the HUSKERS were going to win this one but as it turned out, no such luck. They are still in the hunt and even though it won't be easy, it can be done. Hopefully they will regroup quickly and take care of business for a couple more shots at Fullerton. Good luck HUSKERS, you can do it.

The last part of your statement contradicts the first part. Getting base hits doesn't win the game, it is getting base hits with runners in scoring position, so that they can score. We stranded numerous base runners because of crappy hitting.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back