• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Brenda Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Franklin got off pretty easy when it was revealed that a girl he used to help entertain recruits at Vanderbilt was raped by some players. He admitted he asked her to welcome recruits and find other coeds to also meet and greet recruits. During his conversation with her he said other schools do the same and it's nothing new. This surfaced just after he took the Penn State job.
Brenda Tracey's interview is a real eye opener. She still gets harassed on social media. She's working hard to change things that need to be changed. It takes a lot of courage to do what she's doing I have a great deal of respect for her. I plan to use her interview in my Freshman Seminar class this fall.
it awesome that you are going to use her interview in your freshman seminar! I have a 13 year old son that I’ve already discussed many of these issues with. Maybe if we get to kids earlier the number of these incidents can be reduced. I’m going to forward the interview to his club coaches and suggest a conversation on a team level about respecting women

Any mention of the guys described by Riley as “really good guys who made a bad choice”?

Probably right along with the mention of how he publically admitted how stupid that was, invitied her to campus to share her story with the team with no expectations in return, and how she was able to overcome her hate for him and see a positive relationship come from it.

Mike Riley was a bad head coach here, and did so many things wrong, but making amends with Brenda Tracy and giving her the opportunity to bring her message to Lincoln was exactly the right thing to do.

Yes, Nemesis. Within the first five minutes Brenda explained that FHCMR gave a one game suspension to the men that raped her. And used the quote. Good man, better woman.

I'm curious as to what part of Mike Riley's behavior/history in this player rape situation qualifies him to be referred to as a "good man". Was it the fact that it took him 18 years to meet with and apologize to her - - and then only after she went public? (and on NU's dime). There wasn't a doubt as to guilt - - after the charges were dropped, Mike Riley himself referred to players as, "really good guys who made a bad choice." (One of Riley's "really good guys" was on probation for a burglary). Ummm... Mike...

Mike Riley failed in every way in this situation. Shawn Eichorst should have never hired Mike Riley, and Nebraska fans shouldn't have given him a pass.

Last edited:

My biggest hiccup is the lack of female integrity. I applaud Mike Riley for exposing this weakness. How do I use this as a teachable moment for my 14 year old daughter? If you are physically abused then don't work with prosecutors and the judicial system?

I will continue to teach my daughter to get mad-dog mean and break the mofo's nose. Let him explain why? Society teaches our girls to be weak. Rejecting prosecutors and investigators is not a position of power. There should never be a "space" where women can go when they are hurt to regroup and complain. BREAK THE FKN NOSE OF AGGRESSORS and stop with this BS.

How the heck did this thread about Husker Cobcast interview with Brenda Tracy turn into another Urban Meyer thread? For christs sake people.

C

You are correct about this case. However, for every one instance like the one you quote, there are hundreds (low estimate) that don't get reported because fear of blowback. I think we have to get to the point where the ones who do not report don't feel afraid, then we can worry about the one off case like Duke Lacrosse - that's a luxury we have to earn.
So in the mean time its ok to assume guilt? The Duke lacrosse kids lives will NEVER be the same either. It’s a serious issue on both sides for sure.

I'm curious as to what part of Mike Riley's behavior/history in this player rape situation qualifies him to be referred to as a "good man". Was it the fact that it took him 18 years to meet with and apologize to her - - and then only after she went public? (and on NU's dime). There wasn't a doubt as to guilt - - after the charges were dropped, Mike Riley himself referred to players as, "really good guys who made a bad choice." (One of Riley's "really good guys" was on probation for a burglary). Ummm... Mike...

Mike Riley failed in every way in this situation. Shawn Eichorst should have never hired Mike Riley, and Nebraska fans shouldn't have given him a pass.
And how do you see Tom Osborne in the prism of Lawrence Phillips?

And how do you see Tom Osborne in the prism of Lawrence Phillips?
That's a completely different situation. Philips was guilty and paid his price to society and TO still suspended him for 7 games, and only allowed him back after he completed a nearly impossible laundry list of requirements. TO took an active role in trying to help rehab LP.

It's shameful to even speak TO's name in the same sentence as Riley.

Probably right along with the mention of how he publically admitted how stupid that was, invitied her to campus to share her story with the team with no expectations in return, and how she was able to overcome her hate for him and see a positive relationship come from it.

Mike Riley was a bad head coach here, and did so many things wrong, but making amends with Brenda Tracy and giving her the opportunity to bring her message to Lincoln was exactly the right thing to do.
Sure it was, but it never should have been needed in the first place if he had handled it right from the beginning.

If my defense of the legal system wasn’t a clue, I am an attorney who has practiced criminal defense and domestic relations law for over 20 years. Everyone here wants to be black and white, but that frankly, is not the real world. It is much more complicated than that, which is why I have such an issue with red lines and rushes to judgment. I will also tell you that I was raised and lived old school. I have never and will never hit a woman, not even in self defense. And let me tell you, I don’t care how justified it can be, you hit your wife, guess who goes to jail? One of my major weaknesses in my practice is falling for victims of domestic abuse. I have lost more money over the years than I can imagine because I have a particular distaste for abusers and tend to melt when these women tell me their story and ask for help. They are usuallly in a situation where they have little or no money and are trying to survive. Thus, I end up working for free.

Having said that, false accusation happen and much more often than many people realize. When it does, it is devastating. I love women and tend to put them on a pedestal, but they can be just as mean, manipulative, and dishonest as men. In particular, I am no longer even phased by the lengths that some women can go in making false accusations in order to get the upper hand in child custody cases.

In domestic assault cases, I tend to like to figure out the pattern over time, rather than judge a one time incident. The vast majority of domestic assault cases that I have defended come at the time of a seriously failing relationship. It is a time of great stress and people lose their filters. What I see happen is that buttons start getting pushed and a man gets to his breaking point and hits his wife. Momma calls the cops, dad goes to jail, they get divorced and there’s not an ongoing problem. It was the relationship, not necessarily the normal character of the man that causes the problem. Should he have walked away? Yep, but some times people in that situation screw up. It is also much easier for her to call law enforcement and go through with a prosecution because she hasn’t actually been a victim of ongoing, deeply entrenched systematic control, which is my definition of real domestic abuse.

Dang, just looked at the clock. I hope my statements are not misconstrued, it’s just that these situations are not always as good vs evil as people think they are.

That's a completely different situation. Philips was guilty and paid his price to society and TO still suspended him for 7 games, and only allowed him back after he completed a nearly impossible laundry list of requirements. TO took an active role in trying to help rehab LP.

It's shameful to even speak TO's name in the same sentence as Riley.
I read the excerpts from Anatomy of an Era and am amazed by how many people remember Lawrence Phillips as a good teammate and a good person. I can see through those pages why TO did what he did. And there is no doubt in my mind that TO was trying to save Lawrence Phillips the person. Nevertheless if you ask any non-Nebraska fan with knowledge of the incident the vast majority would not look at it the way we look at it.

And I am not trying to color the two events the same but its laughable to suggest context of the events are not similar. Neither outcome would cross the threshold of what is acceptable in today's environment.

Sure it was, but it never should have been needed in the first place if he had handled it right from the beginning.

Valid point. I won't argue that, and I won't argue the stupidity of a one game suspension and ho-hum comment about rapists on a football team. I just think that owning up to that stupidity and becoming an advocate for Brenda's cause is admirable and she feels the same way.

I read the excerpts from Anatomy of an Era and am amazed by how many people remember Lawrence Phillips as a good teammate and a good person. I can see through those pages why TO did what he did. And there is no doubt in my mind that TO was trying to save Lawrence Phillips the person. Nevertheless if you ask any non-Nebraska fan with knowledge of the incident the vast majority would not look at it the way we look at it.

And I am not trying to color the two events the same but its laughable to suggest context of the events are not similar. Neither outcome would cross the threshold of what is acceptable in today's environment.
SO TRUE.... this post ties into the one Section 104 just posted about things not really being black and white. Having know LPs victim throughout childhood... I know how he got to where he was that night. He reacted terribly but I have told the story many times over on here... it took 2 to tango. Everyone on the team was advised to stay away from KM..she was toxic. LP tried to get out of the situation but she stole his car when he was up in East Lansing and roped him back in.

LP proved over and over that he had so many other issues but at the time I believe he genuinely just wanted to play football and help his team win. LP was not an extrovert from all accounts.

Last edited:

Writing off the Duke case as a one off, might be a bit presumptive. In today's hysterical environment it might be wise to reserve judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back