• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bowl matchups set

I have strooonngg disagreement about UCF. LSU will be like a cold splash of water in their faces. Right from the gitgo.

It is not even the most interesting game, as the UCF stats are built up in a doo-doo conference. North Dakota State could give them a run for their money. Etc.. ;)

I think (most) Husker fans are enamored with them because of the Frost connection. While my wife and I were sitting in the drenching rain on that "lightening delay/canceled" game at the start of this season, we had a bit of a mental window into the next several games, and the season in general. "Four wins?" She said. I don't remember my answer.

But that coaching staff, especially defense. Ugh.. sorry folks. Great ethics on Frost's part. Looks like UCF remains in those ethics.. but they play weak teams and get scored on quite a bit by those weak teams. LSU Beat three ranked teams including one that is going for the championship now: Georgia. They did lose to Texas A&M, but so would have UCF (obviously).

https://www.sbnation.com/a/bowl-game-schedule-2018-scores
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_NCAA_football_bowl_games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season

10 Teams with 6-6 records are playing in Bowl games.
20 Teams with 7-5 or 7-6 records are playing in bowl games.

Number of bowls 40[1]
All-star games 3
Bowl games December 15, 2018 – January 7, 2019
Conference Bowls Record Final AP Poll
ACC..............................
11.. 2-4 (–)
SEC...............................11.. 4-4 (–)
Big Ten........................... 9.. 4-4 (–)
AAC............................... 7.. 5-4 (–)
Big 12............................ 7.. 3-3 (–)
Pac-12 ...........................7.. 3-3 (–)
Conference USA............... 6.. 4–2 (–)
MAC.............................. 6.. 1–5 (–)
Mountain West................. 6.. 3–2 (–)
Sun Belt......................... 5.. 3-2 (–)
Independents...................3.. 2-1 (–)

Last edited:
I have strooonngg disagreement about UCF. LSU will be like a cold splash of water in their faces. Right from the gitgo.

Is this year's LSU team better or worse than last year's Auburn team?

LSU has a pretty mediocre offense. If they cannot keep the points down it gets ugly.

The Big 10 dominated the post season last year and earned a reputation as the best conference. This year the Big 10 did poorly in non-conference games and once again everyone thinks the SEC is the cat's meow. Hopefully the Big 10 will change that perception during the bowl season.

Losing so badly in the non-conference games should work to the B1G's advantage now, assuming that they're better than their record. I think OSU and Penn State will cruise to big wins, and I expect Michigan to beat Florida, but a lot of the other games seem like toss-ups. Few will pick Purdue to beat Auburn, but I think they might. Ditto for Minnesota. On the other hand I think Wisconsin could go out and lay an egg. Few will pick Iowa, but they should match up fairly well, but, again, this is Iowa, and it's that time of the year when they like to look like deer playing on the Interstate.

Bowl games are at least as much about motivation as they are about any other factors -- which is why it's much more difficult picking bowl game winners than the regular season. It's so much about who shows up to the bowl destination with all focus on winning, and who shows up to the bowl destination with too much focus on having fun.

Last season, Auburn was much less motivated after losing the SEC championship game, and being knocked out of the playoffs. Hard to say if UGA will be emotionally down as well -- though I tend to think playing Texas will motivate them. On paper, Georgia should win by no less than 14.

I never bought that line about last year's Peach Bowl. Auburn came out p'd off, especially at Killins for his dumb comment about UCF speed versus SEC speed. Do you remember when he got body slammed? Did you think Auburn looked unmotivated in the 3rd quarter? I thought that they were playing p'd off. Malzahn dismissed the whole "unmotivated" excuse, too, saying that they were very well prepared and very up for the game.

I think that it was just hard for people to believe that UCF could beat them without extenuating circumstances.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back