• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

BOOM!!! 2017 SG Thomas Allen, 6'2", 180 #, Brewster Academy IS 'N'

Is it great this kid is coming aboard. Absolutely. Do I believe it will make any difference in the tangible results on the court? No.
Miles can sell. Its the entire reason he's coaching at NU in the first place.
Thomas better be able to create his own shot against BIG defenders cause Miles' playground is no place for a good spot shooter.

Next year will be a different type of offense for sure. Petteway/Shavon/Webster were all slashers. Roby is a slasher type, but he's not going to be the focal point of the offense. I like Morrow and Jacobson so this isn't meant as a sour grapes take, but they posed no threat outside of 15'. Jacobson didn't have quick enough feat to drive and Morrow couldn't put the ball on the floor without turning it over. Copeland is a threat and so is Brase if we land him.

I'm not saying we will be better, although it's hard to see how we could be worse, I'm just saying that the offense will be much different. There will be a lot more shooting jumpers and a lot less slashing. With more shooting threats on the floor, I think it could open the lane up to be more efficient when we do slash. Hey, if Miles is going down, I'm at least thankful he's going to go down with a different type of offensive style.

Next year will be a different type of offense for sure. Petteway/Shavon/Webster were all slashers. Roby is a slasher type, but he's not going to be the focal point of the offense. I like Morrow and Jacobson so this isn't meant as a sour grapes take, but they posed no threat outside of 15'. Jacobson didn't have quick enough feat to drive and Morrow couldn't put the ball on the floor without turning it over. Copeland is a threat and so is Brase if we land him.

I'm not saying we will be better, although it's hard to see how we could be worse, I'm just saying that the offense will be much different. There will be a lot more shooting jumpers and a lot less slashing. With more shooting threats on the floor, I think it could open the lane up to be more efficient when we do slash. Hey, if Miles is going down, I'm at least thankful he's going to go down with a different type of offensive style.

No one coming up this year is a typical "slasher" so Miles is suddenly going to shift to an x/o driven offense predicated on proper floor spacing and team work to find open looks for spot shooters?
He's gonna scrap the concept driven free flow offense he's been running the past 5 years and shift gears?
clearly you know something I do not. Do tell......

No one coming up this year is a typical "slasher" so Miles is suddenly going to shift to an x/o driven offense predicated on proper floor spacing and team work to find open looks for spot shooters?
He's gonna scrap the concept driven free flow offense he's been running the past 5 years and shift gears?

Miles will never stop running motion, according to him, it's a way of life. Concepts will change though with new personnel.

#debbiedowner

In your opinion, is he worth adding to the roster? Sounds like he is also injury prone.
He's better than leaving a open scholarship on the table. According to my son his Instagram says he has committed. He only started playing basketball in the 9th grade.

Last edited:
Nebraska has officially announced the signing of Thomas Allen today.

Huskers Sign Thomas Allen

Nebraska Coach Tim Miles announced the signing of guard Thomas Allen on Tuesday. Allen will join the Husker basketball program for the 2017-18 season. A 6-foot-1, 180-pound guard, Allen was a top-100 recruit nationally by ESPN, Scout and Rivals, which all listed the Raleigh, N.C., native as a four-star product. He was rated as the No. 11 prospect in New England by the New England Recruiting Report.

SDGWDMLQHPGBUEW.20170424214859.jpg

One thing you have to agree on is it's going to be about the players on the court. Since we don't have a bunch of slashers, ball movement becomes the next best option, even in a free flow offense. Watson will still penetrate, but beyond him, I don't see many who can thrive like that. That means you can see more of the classic 'drive and kickout', something we did see some last year when Horne had some bigger games. I also think we forget Watson likes to take shots from the perimeter. I don't think it's totally unreasonable to think we'll see a very different flow in the game based on the personnel on the floor.

One thing you have to agree on is it's going to be about the players on the court. Since we don't have a bunch of slashers, ball movement becomes the next best option, even in a free flow offense. Watson will still penetrate, but beyond him, I don't see many who can thrive like that. That means you can see more of the classic 'drive and kickout', something we did see some last year when Horne had some bigger games. I also think we forget Watson likes to take shots from the perimeter. I don't think it's totally unreasonable to think we'll see a very different flow in the game based on the personnel on the floor.

ya I don't disagree with you. no doubt we will HAVE to see some of this, based on the new personnel on the court. thats been my biggest beef with Miles is that his philosophy seems to center around a slasher just "doing his thing." Worked great for TPet one year, not so much the very next. Shavon had great success, but wins weren't the end result. Tai could slash his way and if he hadn't, NU loses more games last year then they did. Much of what you described are things that simply define good basketball. A good slasher is even better when he decides to kick for an open guy for 3. That slasher also starts to benefit the team, rather then just "doing his thing."

I argued with anyone on the board last year that said NU didn't have good shooters. We do. Horne could shoot. Jack can shoot. I've watched Fuller shoot in practice....the guy can shoot. and i also complained to no end that Jack was going to have a miserable year if someone on the team wasn't willing to drive and kick so he could get a shot off. cause he can't create his own. Thats coaching. That takes a coach stopping practice and yelling at a guy for throwing up a garbage attempt in traffic instead of kicking it out to Jack for a wide open look.

consider me skeptical when it comes to the assumption that the flow of the offense and the willingness to pass, to drive and kick, and remain properly spaced will all the sudden become better, due to the influx of new players, none of which carry a strength that Miles apparently depends on for his concept driven system.

ya I don't disagree with you. no doubt we will HAVE to see some of this, based on the new personnel on the court. thats been my biggest beef with Miles is that his philosophy seems to center around a slasher just "doing his thing." Worked great for TPet one year, not so much the very next. Shavon had great success, but wins weren't the end result. Tai could slash his way and if he hadn't, NU loses more games last year then they did. Much of what you described are things that simply define good basketball. A good slasher is even better when he decides to kick for an open guy for 3. That slasher also starts to benefit the team, rather then just "doing his thing."

I argued with anyone on the board last year that said NU didn't have good shooters. We do. Horne could shoot. Jack can shoot. I've watched Fuller shoot in practice....the guy can shoot. and i also complained to no end that Jack was going to have a miserable year if someone on the team wasn't willing to drive and kick so he could get a shot off. cause he can't create his own. Thats coaching. That takes a coach stopping practice and yelling at a guy for throwing up a garbage attempt in traffic instead of kicking it out to Jack for a wide open look.

consider me skeptical when it comes to the assumption that the flow of the offense and the willingness to pass, to drive and kick, and remain properly spaced will all the sudden become better, due to the influx of new players, none of which carry a strength that Miles apparently depends on for his concept driven system.

The sad part is the offense he's trying to run is the same crap that kids get all enamored with playing for AAU teams. It's borderline street ball. The inside players are only on the court to rebound, as they are invisible in that offense. With the officiating that allows really sloppy ball handling, and the nearly constant rewards for a guy just ducking his head and driving, this 'style' becomes an acceptable offense. Some teams can kind of make it work, but you need really elite talent to win consistently against quality teams...unless you have a guy get out of his mind hot and then you can pull off some upsets. When you think about some of the better games we played last year, it usually involved better than usual outside shooting. Horne's better games, Webster's better outside shooting games, Jack's better shooting games, and even Watson's, were the games I really thought we had a chance to be a pretty solid team. We looked like we were actually running an offense.

If we get a guy like Hans, someone who really comes from a structured system, and we try to do the Slash and Pray offense, he'll be useless. If I'm that guy and I'm talking to Miles, I'd be pinning him down on what we are going to run, who he sees playing different positions, and if we are going to use more structure.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back