• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bobby Newcombe

Cvillehusker

stranded in Boilermaker country
5 Year Member
just saw on another Site that Bobby Newcombe has been named Head Coach at one of the top HS programs in the state of AZ. would think that would not be a bad thing for DONU recruiting that area.

Mazel Tov to Bobby. What a great athlete. Good luck in the coaching profession.
Yeah I agree he lost something after the knee injury. I don’t think it was physical I think it was mental. That is why Crouch overtook him.

Here you go. Fairly new program, did well I 3A, but moving to 5A apparently. @AzHusker , anything here?

http://usatodayhss.com/2018/bobby-newcombe-casteel-football-coach

I’ve been out of touch with high school football here the last decade or so after my son graduated.

Queen Creek is a rapidly growing suburb SE of Phoenix. Casteel High School was built in 2015, so it must be growing quickly to jump divisions in such a short time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cronki...l-high-becomes-dominant-football-program/amp/

Sounds like Casteel High started with a bang two years ago! I wish Bobby well!

Last edited:

I for one am torn. EC did great things but if you go watch the line they didn't give the same effort for BN. Newcombe was a far better passer(EC missed wide open guys by 5-10 yards far too often). I remember Newcombe him going for 90 yards in the spring game heading into his sophomore year I think. If you read his comments, he was very complimentary of HCTO and specifically commented that his word meant something. Anyone else read it as a veiled shot at HCFS?

If you read his comments, he was very complimentary of HCTO and specifically commented that his word meant something. Anyone else read it as a veiled shot at HCFS?
No, it's not veiled...it was a full on shot at Frank, he didn't like Crouch either.

BN was electric pre-PCL injury.

As I recall, he soured to NU after leaving.

Perhaps he will warm up with SF's return. He was a big part of the 1997 MNC team.

Great team player, sacrificing personal glory for the benefit of the program. He was a great quarterback, great receiver, great punt returner. He was just an all-around great athlete. I don't think he lost anything after the 1998 PCL injury. He averaged over 18 yards per punt return after surrendering the QB spot in 1999, ripping off an 86 yarder against Kansas to spark the team. He followed it up with a school-record 94 yard return the following year against Mizzou.

It's too bad he and Crouch were around at the same time.

Great team player, sacrificing personal glory for the benefit of the program. He was a great quarterback, great receiver, great punt returner. He was just an all-around great athlete. I don't think he lost anything after the 1998 PCL injury. He averaged over 18 yards per punt return after surrendering the QB spot in 1999, ripping off an 86 yarder against Kansas to spark the team. He followed it up with a school-record 94 yard return the following year against Mizzou.

It's too bad he and Crouch were around at the same time.
I think he lost a lot in his option game after the injury. It didn't show as much in his punt return game.

I really think he had the potential to be the best QB ever at Nebraska pre-injury.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back