• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bob Diaco to be named new Defensive Coordinator

I'm not invested enough to do the research, but going back to the early TO years when I was on campus, my recollection is that we were paying less than the Southern schools that we were matched up against in bowls. Conversations that I was a party to usually reached a point where it was said that we weren't going to get into a cash war to chase coaches. That perception, on my part, continued through the eighties, nineties and beyond. There was always the argument that it was so cheap, comparatively, to live in Lincoln, that we didn't have to pay top dollar for coaches. Anecdotally, go back through the HMax and other husker sites and I think you'll find a pervasive theme that we shouldn't offer the "outrageous" salaries that many other schools were offering.

Whether my perception is right or wrong, I'm glad we opened up the purse strings to snare Diaco. Hopefully, he'll be well worth the money. But you'll never know unless you try.

I'm not invested enough to do the research, but going back to the early TO years when I was on campus, my recollection is that we were paying less than the Southern schools that we were matched up against in bowls. Conversations that I was a party to usually reached a point where it was said that we weren't going to get into a cash war to chase coaches. That perception, on my part, continued through the eighties, nineties and beyond. There was always the argument that it was so cheap, comparatively, to live in Lincoln, that we didn't have to pay top dollar for coaches. Anecdotally, go back through the HMax and other husker sites and I think you'll find a pervasive theme that we shouldn't offer the "outrageous" salaries that many other schools were offering.

Whether my perception is right or wrong, I'm glad we opened up the purse strings to snare Diaco. Hopefully, he'll be well worth the money. But you'll never know unless you try.

I'm sure back in the day, that was true. NU wasn't really that flush with cash until the Big 12 was formed and the TV money followed. The sellout streak and fan willingness to make seat donations even during lean years also helped.

Steve Pederson offered $2 million to Houston Nutt back in 2004 (Arkansas was paying him $750k per year), which would have put him in the top 5 highest paid coaches at the time.
Also would have put him in the top 1 most overpaid coaches of all time.

It's never been about money or seriousness to be a top program. It's more about Lincoln being a very tough place to win (or at least to win at the clip fans grew accustomed to in Tom's final 5 seasons) given recruiting difficulties.

Coaches also generally end up in States/regions where they have some roots - family and professional ties. Given NU's small population, there just aren't that many coaches with ties to the State.
Lots of people argued we underspent on lots of things -- coaches, recruiting budget -- back when TO was AD. We've increased our recruiting budget since about 2012 a whole bunch, IIRC, so either we were running on the cheap before or we're overspending now. Or both.

Through the 70s, 80s and 90s NU had one coach. A coach who said he'd rather have his assistants get raises, bonuses, etc. Quite frankly NU was lucky that Tom was willing to accept less that market value. But what do you do? Force him to take more money to prove that you're "committed" financially?

Then we have Frank. He wasn't hired because he was inexpensive. He was hired because it was always assumed that he would be. He was the natural successor.

After Frank we get into the real market. As has been pointed out Whatshisface from Arkansas was offered a big raise to come here. He declined. SP then went through a litany of names before he got one to take the job. I'm sure if one of the guys on the list before BC had said yes SP would have paid what it took. BC got as much as he could get and NU paid as little as they could for him. That's how it works.

With Riley...they got the man they wanted. They paid him what they had to. No more.

I'll be the first to raise the pitch forks if someone tells me we could have had Meyer or whichever other fantasy coach people come up with and didn't because of budget.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back