• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bill Snyder and his recruiting strategy.

There's some talent in small town Nebraska, but I'm not sure how much of it is overlooked anymore. I agree that Ott and Bazata should have gotten NU offers, especially given how difficult it is to recruit D-line talent. But when they are getting 3 stars from Rivals and offers from Iowa, it's hard to call them hidden gems anymore. All 3-star+ O and D line talent from Nebraska should probably get scholarship offers from NU.

It's my understanding that participation in 8-man football and just high school football overall is way down in Nebraska vs. 25 years ago. Beyond Nebraska kids taking scholarships elsewhere instead of walking on like the glory days, I wonder if there is just less talent period? There really were a ton of Nebraska kids on the 3-deep O-line back in the day. Where'd they all go? If they are being overlooked by NU and then lighting it up at Ohio or SDSU, I'm not hearing much about it.

No, you are right in many cases in a lot of small towns across Nebraska and the mid west in general football partisipation is down. So there will be less talent.

No Byzata and Ott were not "Diamonds in the Rough" They were just looked down apon because they didn't come from big time HS football by the previous staff. I mean look at the Englehaup kid out of Norfolk Catholic. He was given a plan C scholarship the weekend before signing day. He is going to play a lot this year as a Rfrosh. He was second on the TE list of receptions in the spring game. The Snyder kid out of Cali that was suppose to be great had 1 reception. I know he has been hurt a lot. But the plan C kid is going to play a lot this year and he was an afterthought.

No, you are right in many cases in a lot of small towns across Nebraska and the mid west in general football partisipation is down. So there will be less talent.

No Byzata and Ott were not "Diamonds in the Rough" They were just looked down apon because they didn't come from big time HS football by the previous staff. I mean look at the Englehaup kid out of Norfolk Catholic. He was given a plan C scholarship the weekend before signing day. He is going to play a lot this year as a Rfrosh. He was second on the TE list of receptions in the spring game. The Snyder kid out of Cali that was suppose to be great had 1 reception. I know he has been hurt a lot. But the plan C kid is going to play a lot this year and he was an afterthought.

I hear ya. It wouldn't bother me at all if more Nebraska kids got scholarships. I'd definitely prefer a marginal local talent to a marginal California or Texas talent.

The fan base can be really hypocritical when it comes to home grown players though. If a local kid doesn't pan out, the fans wonder why he was offered at all (see Kreikemeier, Micah). The only walk-ons that are celebrated are the really good ones (e.g., Janovich). Guys likes Dylan Utter get completely eviscerated. The story goes from "scrappy walk-on inspires scholarship players" to "we need a big-time recruiter if we are ever gong to win" in a big hurry.

I hear ya. It wouldn't bother me at all if more Nebraska kids got scholarships. I'd definitely prefer a marginal local talent to a marginal California or Texas talent.

The fan base can be really hypocritical when it comes to home grown players though. If a local kid doesn't pan out, the fans wonder why he was offered at all (see Kreikemeier, Micah). The only walk-ons that are celebrated are the really good ones (e.g., Janovich). Guys likes Dylan Utter get completely eviscerated. The story goes from "scrappy walk-on inspires scholarship players" to "we need a big-time recruiter if we are ever gong to win" in a big hurry.

Kreikemeier was a little bit of a reach, but I do remember him making a little headway as rfrosh or soph in a spring game he just couldn't stay healthy. He was always nicked up.

I am not bagging on Matt Snyder either, he was a good recruit and he may pan out if he can stay healthy.

IMO TE are are an easy homegrown football player. There are so many 6'4" 215 lb guys with decent hands and decent speedplaying on teams all over the Midwest it's almost silly. Bring them in put 30 lbs on them and you have a very serviceable TE.

I have always been impressed with Snyder and his coaching ability/preparation to win games with the athletes he has.

so right about previous staff. john lechner 6-6, 315 from creighton prep. i know not a small school, but was offered by previous staff. got interviewed during recruiting process and stated he was leaning wisconsin. next day offer to nebraska was pulled by pelini. ended up playing for ohio and starting on o-line for 3 years. not sure he would of ended up at n.u., but pelini didnt give him a chance because of his immaturity concerning 17 yr. old kid going thru recruiting process. his parents did get a letter of apology from a.d. tom osborne for his treatment by staff. just another example of pelini being a baby when things arent going his way.GBR

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back